Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

If you suffer from PTSD caused by living with an active alcoholic.....

If you suffer from PTSD caused by living with an active alcoholic.....

Old 12-22-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I've not done EMDR, but I've know others that swear by it. It enabled them to look at the trauma and process it without being immobilized by the fear.

I've used psychodynamic therapy very well. It's deep but if you have a good therapist it's a very safe place to process what comes up. And yes, I do feel more at peace and less anxious in general having dealt with some of the emotional issues of being raised by a father that hated the air I breathed.
MindfulMan, knowing your father hated you, that's brutal. You were a child and did nothing to cause that. That's a terrible, heart wrenching thing.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pdm22 View Post
^ I did EMDR for a couple of years. Basically what they are doing is bringing you back to moments of trauma using eye movement that mimics the state of REM sleep. I personally found it to be very triggering, since I already have very good long term memory and can bring myself back to moments of trauma/ the past quite easily. For me, going back to moments of trauma like that wasn’t all that helpful, although I stuck with it for a while. Looking back on it, it wasn’t really something I would do again.

What I personally found helpful is CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy, which helps you look at thought patterns), and DBT (basically keeping you in the moment/ mindfulness/ taking care of your basic needs too). That’s just me & my 2 cents, though..
Thank you for your take on your experience with EMDR. Like you, I'm finding CBT helpful. I've never heard of DBT, that would be something very helpful! I bet it helps a lot with anxiety and "what if thinking".

You have a good memory of past traumas, I assume that's not a good thing. I have lots of memories, but none seem traumatic. Just sad and some just make me really mad. I'm hoping the EMDR will be helpful. Keep on healing.