Spending Christmas alone this year

Old 12-15-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

I like the idea of feeding the wildlife. The end of the year can be a peaceful time to reflect and plan for the next year. The worst things are New Year's eve parties. The few times I have gone to those, I have always felt terrible afterwards, especially when they start singing Auld Lang Syne... it feels like someone has died or something. I like to honor the religious aspect of Christmas, make some nice food, buy myself a nice present.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bananapancakes View Post
haha I have never seen it but I might have to watch it this Christmas...

My personal favorite Christmas movie is "A Christmas Story"... there are so many memorable scenes in that one.
I watch that one every year. I try to wait until Christmas Eve, but sometimes I don't make it that long. It supposedly takes place in a fake city, Holmond, which is based on Hammond, Indiana, which might as well be a suburb of Chicago. It was actually filmed in Cincinnati, but all those Midwestern towns looked the same. I grew up in a suburb of Chicago during the time that story takes place, so in addition to it being a clever story, visually it's exactly the way I remember my childhood. The desks in the classroom, the coal furnaces, brick houses and back alleys complete with local bullies, and shopping for a tree in the Christmas tree lots that would spring up in all the vacant properties. The flat tire scene nails it. When was the last time you had a flat tire? And I remember how adept everyone was at changing a tire in record time because it was so common place. I also had a Red Rider BB gun, but it was an old one that no longer shot BBs that someone had given me. The electrical outlets overloaded with adapters that would blow fuses down in the basement were part of the house I lived in. Talk about nostalgia.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've just been watching The Christmas Story. I'm thinking it was 10 years before my time, because of the cars, and the houses in the movie are wood frame, not brick.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Oh my yes, I can relate to not wanting to be around others who don't know your situation, and how alone it makes you feel. I'm in the middle of deciding whether to subject myself to that. I don't blame you at all--it sounds like a good choice that you made for YOU.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LovePeaceSushi View Post
Bananapancakes, "A Christmas Story" is probably one of my FAVORITE Christmas movies! I just saw on TV that people can rent the actual house from the movie for $3,000/night. I think the inner child in each of us can relate to Ralphie. It would not be an actual Christmas without that movie playing. "NOTTAFINFGA!" I'm giggling as I type this.
Good news LPS, it's only nine hundred and ninety nine dollars a night! (for some reason it decided those digits were not to be displayed so I had to type the words instead lol)

https://www.bumpushouse.com/rooms/a-...story-house-2/
Old 12-16-2018, 12:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Good news LPS, it's only nine hundred and ninety nine dollars a night! (for some reason it decided those digits were not to be displayed so I had to type the words instead lol)

Capitalism is just plain weird when you see stuff like this. It's kind of fun imagining that people would toss a thousand bucks just to do something like stay the night in that house. But what looks disappointing to me is that appears to have been modernized, both inside and out. If I was going to spent $1000 a night, I'd want to live in it as it was for the movie, basically, I want it to be a drafty shambles, with a gas stove, and probably an ice box, rather than a 1940s refrigerator. Inside, it's really not much different than a motel.

Good Grief! It's says it comes with a flat screen TV.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Some people near my sister's neighborhood have a house reminiscent of Ralphie's with the same 3 windows on the front porch, and for Christmas, they don't have a tree, or decorate the house, but they put the leg lamp in the front window. You can buy them for $139.99 at amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Full-Size-Lam...A9WK4HP2D7CRXX
Old 12-16-2018, 02:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

haha I love how this thread has digressed into a back and forth about the movie "A Christmas Story" and Im all for it!!

I would be tempted to buy that lamp for maybe 10 bucks...but then again it sure is ugly.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

haha I love how this thread has digressed into a back and forth about the movie "A Christmas Story" and Im all for it!!

I would be tempted to buy that lamp for maybe 10 bucks...but then again it sure is ugly.
<blush> I have one, but not the big one. I told my sister I would like to put one in my window for Christmas, so she bought me a desk sized lamp, which doesn't really make the point, but I have it out all the time on top of a bookcase at the top of the stairs where people seldom go. I showed it to friends who know nothing about the movie, and they thought I was strange or maybe perverted, I don't know. So I had to explain to them in detail, the meaning of the lamp. Also, the one at amazon is just a bare leg. The one I got from my sister has a fishnet stocking, which is more keeping with the movie and maybe with the era as well.

More authentic version from the original site:
The Leg Lamp | A Christmas Story House
Old 12-16-2018, 04:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That is a great lamp ! lol!

I haven't seen The Christmas Story yet!! Why have I not seen this!?! The trailer looks great!

My top xmas movies are usually National Lampoon's and Scroodged. And I like to keep It's a Wonderful Life running on the projector whilst I potter around
Old 12-16-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

haha I have never seen it but I might have to watch it this Christmas...

My personal favorite Christmas movie is "A Christmas Story"... there are so many memorable scenes in that one.
Banana - I already had a couple of things to say but I watch "The Holiday" and "Love Actually" all through the year! They make me happy, make me laugh, make me lots of good things!

The beautiful European city part makes me happy for you and a bit jealous! When I went to live in Italy for a bit we arrived in Rome during Epiphany and it was just the beginning of my love affair. Some of my friends are in NY (I know, Stateside!), Paris, Rome...

Also, I can relate to the mixed feelings - I am grateful to spend this particular Christmas and NY with my sweet husband, and we've got pretty simple plans from today thru 26th then our usual at home NYE

I've spent a good one or two alone - going through a separation once.

Wishes for a happy, sober, grateful time for you!
Old 12-16-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post

Seriously! Who would spend that money?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Just read what MCEsaint said about people who live in our hearts. What a nice thought. The older I get the closer I feel to those that are no longer in my life. It is bittersweet.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpheliaKatz View Post
Seriously! Who would spend that money?
I think it's meant to appeal to those who like to brag about throwing money around carelessly. It's a way to say, "I have so much money, and can flush it down the toilet." It can be defended by claiming you bought a memory or made a pilgrimage.

Here's something that people actually do along the same lines for a cost of $14, and gives you the same thrill:

The TV series Breaking Bad was filmed on location in Albuquerque, and Walter White's House was a house actually owned by someone who rented it to the film industry. After the series was over, college age pranksters took to sneaking up at night and throwing a whole pizza onto the roof. This becomes a meaningful memory of something you did that was out of the ordinary. It also marks you as being part of an elite crowd that followed the series closely.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ophelia....."A fool and his money are soon parted"...…...
Old 12-17-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

There is a house close to where I live that puts the lamp in their window every year. I change my route going home just to see it. Christmas Story is my families VERY FAVORITE movie! We went and saw it as a play a few years ago, it was great!

I am a little different of a person. I LOVE spending time alone. That is totally fine with me. I do however see my family and spend lots of time with them on a regular basis. When my kids were little I got so sick of running around. I hate that we lost sight of the real reason for Xmas which is to celebrate Jesus's birth.

I do plan to go to my parents, however, my father has dementia and there will be extended family there, so it will be stressful. XMas Eve my kids go with their father. We will meet up for the midnight service at church which is a touching and beautiful experience. So XMas eve I am on my own, which I really prefer.

Make the most of it! Relax, watch movies, eat a few good treats, and enjoy!