Recovering within a relationship with alcoholic boyfriend

Old 12-12-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

.... and just to be clear, I AM recovering in a relationship with a husband with ADHD, so I obviously believe this is doable.

Popular opinion or not, I truly believe that his drinking issues have always been 2nd to his ADHD. I have always rejected the alcoholic label for him (even when he himself accepted it) because it simply does not fit. (But hey, recovery is good for everyone so I don't care what gets you there.... and hey again, I'm grateful that it's what brought me to my path of healing as well.....)

If he's not paying attention to his ADHD issues, every other part of life spirals out of control. It starts THERE for him, it is the primary issue needing treatment, not addiction. Addiction is more like one of his unacceptable secondary behaviors brought out as a result of his ADHD.

These are very separate issues.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Don't get me wrong, this is no attack on Al-Anon or what they suggest, I think detaching is a great tool, but it's not a path to having a good, healthy, relationship with an SO, it is a coping tool.
If you think that loving detachment is merely a coping tool, then you are not familiar with what the program means by this term. There is no way to have a healthy relationship with anyone without it.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...en-mean-part-1
Old 12-12-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes, this is what I'm talking about.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Old 12-12-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yes, this is what I'm talking about.
Just to clarify, then:

"Detachment" in the Psychology Today article is not quite the same concept as AlAnon's "loving detachment." Perhaps you were thinking of the kind of detachment in the article, but this is not what the AlAnon program means when we learn about "loving detachment."
Old 12-12-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FallenAngelina View Post
Just to clarify, then:

"Detachment" in the Psychology Today article is not quite the same concept as AlAnon's "loving detachment." Perhaps you were thinking of the kind of detachment in the article, but this is not what the AlAnon program means when we learn about "loving detachment."
I understand that there are different approaches to detachment. For example when an alcoholic goes in to seclusion due to not being able to handle the emotions in a situation.

You can retreat to your place of calm, you do not need anyone to love you or take care of you, you can love yourself, you can be content in your own company, you can see friends, have fun, live your life.

I do understand that.

What I am saying is that detaching with love or hate, it is still detaching, it is removing part of your connection, it is protecting the vulnerability you might otherwise share in a healthy relationship.

Now that's ok and I certainly don't think anyone should or shouldn't do that but when you are in a relationship where the other party retreats at the first sign of trouble or emotion, you can love them but you cannot be truly close to them because you cannot and should not trust them with your feelings.

Yes, there can be a different intent, detach with love, detach with hate, detach with indifference, detaching with love perhaps being the least damaging, it is still taking something away.

verb
gerund or present participle: detaching
disengage (something or part of something) and remove it.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

After feeling totally wiped out this summer, I decided to find my inner peace no matter what was going on around me.

And here’s the result of that decision - I now feel the most happy and clearest I’ve felt in years...perhaps even the happiest...I have awakened whilst remaining inside the relationship. I’ve discovered that I can have an amazingly connected relationship with him whilst also having an amazing connection with myself. I’m feeling more and more aligned to who I really am.

As FallenAngelina expressed, the “bumps” along the way are all part of the process… and I’m enjoying this process. In regards to our communication - yes we've have had a terrible habit of reacting strongly to each other which has typically lead to communication breakdown, but we do also hash out problems and show concern for each other (this happens most productively when we’re both open and ready).

Last night when I was taking a walk, he texted me to tell me not to worry about anything and he just needs some time by himself. If this had been months ago, he wouldn’t have updated me with any kind of reassurance and I’d have sent him umpteen messages and rocked up to his flat unannounced checking in on him. Whereas now, that initial panic trigger just guides me to go and be kind to myself. And when we see each other, we’ll talk from a place of readiness and openness.

This is not simply a coping tool, this is a new way of life and I’m applying it to my relationship with my sister too. I love her to bits but it has been a toxic relationship also at times - for many years. And she is really appreciating the difference she’s seeing in me now. I have more energy when I'm with her and we’re feeling closer… there are no arguments anymore, just peace and love between us.

I don't think it's dysfunctional to withdraw when you feel low. It’s simply an indication that one or both are feeling temporarily disconnected and so we need to sort ourselves out before we can be around each other. If we have to do that once a month then so be it. It’s a major improvement from the pattern we were in for the past two years were we would typically fall out every other day.

As for what actions he's taking. He's taking care of his body by exercising daily and cutting down on drinking, he's taking care of his home, working hard, and saving up to buy another home. However, what he is doing now is really irrelevant when my only concern with him now is how I feel when I'm around him, and how I feel in myself.

I hope this clarifies some things!
Old 12-12-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

What I am saying is that detaching with love or hate, it is still detaching, it is removing part of your connection, it is protecting the vulnerability you might otherwise share in a healthy relationship.

Now that's ok and I certainly don't think anyone should or shouldn't do that but when you are in a relationship where the other party retreats at the first sign of trouble or emotion, you can love them but you cannot be truly close to them because you cannot and should not trust them with your feelings.

Yes, there can be a different intent, detach with love, detach with hate, detach with indifference, detaching with love perhaps being the least damaging, it is still taking something away..
Thanks T! I see this from your perspective I do. To clarify more, he really isn't shying away from opening up and sharing his vulnerabilities.... we are best friends at the end of the day. We always talk things out eventually. In our case, sometimes it's instant, other times we might just need a day or two to allow the dust to settle... which is important as we're both habitually fiery people ! x
Old 12-12-2018, 09:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Surfbee….how much are his ADHD symptoms playing a part in your relationship. I have found that it takes a lot of adjustment and awareness, on my part, to deal with those who have ADHD...….
Old 12-13-2018, 03:17 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surfbee View Post
I’m feeling more and more aligned to who I really am.
What more adjustments do I need to take? What more awareness do I need to have? Do I need to unload every detail on all the books I've read and research I've done? Do I need to monitor him like an in-house doctor / mother figure?

Not singling anyone out. I'm asking everyone here who takes issue with where I'm at or doesn't feel comfortable hearing about the fact that I'm accepting of him? And that I feel happier than I did before.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:28 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Dandylion and Firesprite to answer your questions re ADHD - he hasn't been officially diagnosed with it. It was suspected by his school or his mum (who is a teacher). He shows some of the symptoms but not all. For example, he's incredibly well organised and very strong at planning. He can be restless and finds it challenging to see projects through but yet, when he's focused, he's all in and will do an expert job at it. I believe he has it but probably more on the mild side? Who knows! It could be mild to full blown severe.

He doesn't want to get tested. He hasn't been to an AA meeting. He takes no meds. His choice and I felt liberated the moment I stopped trying to mother him.

Today he messaged to say he's spending the week drying out. He said he's being alone with himself, having early nights, trying to get well rested to become happier with himself before he exposes himself to me. Fair play to him because I didn't ask him to dry out. I didn't demand it out of him.

No amount of obsessing over him and his problems ADHD or otherwise is going to make my life easier.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sounds like he is calling all the shots when it comes to contact--

Hope things go well for you both Surf
Old 12-13-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Surfbee…...Just for the sake of discussion...Adult ADHD presents in several different ways....there can be lots of individual difference/patterns. It is typical that one can hyperfocus if they are interested in something. The problem comes if they get bored with something....Some are actually, very organized into their particular routines.....
The need to be away or alone is not uncommon...as it decreases environmental stimulation. If a person is introverted, they often need periods of time alone to refuel...they may get exhausted with being around other people.....Nature can, also, be soothing to them...…

Surfbee….if you are feeling happy and have inner peace.....that is Super Cool.....
It is good that you can accept him, just as he is......and have a fulfilling life...…
Just keep doing whatever you are doing that has gotten you to this place....
Don't worry about what others think, if you are happy....

I think that others, on the forum, (and I am guilty, also), just try to warn others where the rocks in the water might be, going forward.....just trying to protect others from some of the pitfalls that they have experienced.....
I know that you want others to share and celebrate your joy...and, it can feel very annoying and invalidating when one is met with warnings or "criticisms".....
Don't let it throw you...lol...….
Old 12-13-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm asking everyone here who takes issue with where I'm at or doesn't feel comfortable hearing about the fact that I'm accepting of him? And that I feel happier than I did before.
Not a single person here is challenging your acceptance of things Surf. We're just advising you to stay aware that you may not always continue to feel this way - the sustainability of ANY relationship where only ONE partner is recovering (in whatever sense of that word you want to apply) is very low.

If you intend to continue to grow & get healthier on your own side of the street - no matter what that means, you need a partner that can weather that storm with you or you have to be willing to settle for less than you deserve. I'm not saying today, but someday possibly. None of us has a crystal ball but we DO have a lot of unfortunate experience, that's all we're trying to share here.

What I hear in your posts is a bit of defensiveness & that's ok - but you might want to examine if it means you aren't as confident about this arrangement as you want to be. I also hear you not saying it in so many words, but that he's not recovering so much as he is tweaking a few small things in a positive way. That's OK too - just don't try to convince yourself it's organic, fresh-baked whole-grain artisan bread rather than the bread crumbs that it is.

I brought up concerns about his ADHD diagnosis & treatment because you shared:

To those who don't know, my boyf is an alcoholic with ADHD. Before I joined this forum, I had no clue about the effects of alcoholism or ADHD, or how enmeshed us partners can get....but since SR I've learned new tools and feel more at peace and at ease.
But if he's not actually been diagnosed you're operating off of assumptions & treating him AS IF he is diagnosed - so what if he isn't & you're making a lot of excuses for poor behavior?

None of this is Judgment unless you want to take it that way - I have LIVED this life for years now & I'm speaking from a very, very real perspective. It is NOT easy & if I didn't have decades in already, a child's welfare & enormous financial responsibilities tied to it in my life, I'd never sign up for it on purpose. It was all easy & manageable (& FUN!) until it wasn't & then there was no going back. This roller coaster ride has had some amazing highs but the lows are devastating.

Just stay honest with yourself about your needs & wants. Either he'll wake up & change to keep involved with you in a healthy way (difficult because empathy is difficult for ADHD peeps) or he won't & you'll be strong enough to walk away & seek a healthier relationship.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Not a single person here is challenging your acceptance of things Surf.
Please read your own comments back.

Just don't try to convince yourself it's organic, fresh-baked whole-grain artisan bread rather than the bread crumbs that it is.
None of this is Judgment unless you want to take it that way -
Yes I will take it that way!

I have LIVED this life for years now & I'm speaking from a very, very real perspective.
And I have not LIVED this life? My perspective is unreal?

It is NOT easy & if I didn't have decades in already, a child's welfare & enormous financial responsibilities tied to it in my life, I'd never sign up for it on purpose. It was all easy & manageable (& FUN!) until it wasn't & then there was no going back. This roller coaster ride has had some amazing highs but the lows are devastating.
"No going back" - sounds like a cop-out to me. Anyone can change their life if they want to. Doesn't matter if you've got a child, or wrapped up in enormous financial responsibilities. My mum left my dad with the clothes on her back. She lived in a homeless unit with her two daughters and built her life back up from scratch. I have also been through some serious **** in my life. I'm fully aware of what is easy and what is NOT.

I think it would be really good for everyone here to learn to examine the root of their own judgements, and recognise when you're projecting your own negative experiences onto others.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I didn't mean a single word of what I wrote the way you took it. I'm living proof that these relationships CAN work & said as much up -thread.

Good luck Surf; I only wish you the best.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What more adjustments do I need to take? What more awareness do I need to have? Do I need to unload every detail on all the books I've read and research I've done? Do I need to monitor him like an in-house doctor / mother figure?

Surfbee….maybe, this can clarify...…
For one thing...I think, that, giving him lots of "space".....as much as he needs, is a really good idea. Especially, with those who might have symptoms of ADHD. For me--that helped a lot! I , also, had to learn a lot about ADHD---not so that I could be a doctor or mother figure--but, so that I could change my reactions to certain behaviors.
Same thing with my alcoholic (not a partner...but, my adult son)….when I understood more about alcoholism, I was able to changing my reactions to the upsetting behaviors. Mostly, this consisted of making certain boundaries, and understanding how I, inadvertently, was enabling, in some ways.
Knowing what to expect was of enormous help to me in being prepared for what might happen.....
It wasn't about "managing" them, at all....but, putting me more in charge of myself, my feelings, and how to manage m y own behaviors/reactions.
As a result, I became more confident and did not take their behaviors as a personal affront, so much. That, alone, seemed to take a load off my shoulders.
Much like FireSprite has suggested...it did not make these relationships easy or conflict free...but, the improvement was huge....and resentments took a nosedive.....

If you would ever like some specific examples....I can give you some....
Old 12-15-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I suggest reading about alcoholism and its progression in the stickys ....
Old 12-15-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
I suggest reading about alcoholism and its progression in the stickys ....
Where is that one? I don't see it and would like to read it.
Thanks