Brandy Levels Part 2

Old 12-04-2018, 08:51 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Again, have to agree with Suki, is it worth it?

You are tying yourself up in knots.

You might want to look at some threads posted by OT. This is where this can lead, years of "sleuthing":

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...th-let-go.html (Give me the strength to let go)

He doesn't think like you, he doesn't ponder like you, his focus is alcohol, your focus is him. It can truly go off the rails Awal, you can get so focused on trying to control this, on trying to make sense of something that can't make sense to you because you are not an alcoholic.
Having just read all this it makes my situation look like childsplay. Ive been with AH 17 years and as far as finances go he has never been anything other than fair if not generous. This poor woman is dealing with abuse of the worst kind mental physical financial all rolled into one. But l see what you are getting at here...x
Old 12-04-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clover71 View Post

It's keeping the peace and saving face. They aren't detailed like we are when we are playing private investigator. And I don't mean that part in a demeaning way to you at all. I have gone through this too. He is focused on his drinking and keeping the peace. As someone else said, it's not like he can keep track of how much a couple of swigs are. He just tops it off and it's cool. And that bottle might be more convenient than a hidden bottle at certain times. Your measurements are precise because you are super focused on that bottle.

I I hope that in time you can walk away from the tracking. I know it's hard, but it's going to drive you crazy trying to figure out what he is doing and why. You don't think alike.

Alcoholism is horrible. I can't say that enough. I don't blame you at all for what you are saying and feeling. I do agree with the goalpost comment though.

have your meds helped you at all?
l have been on the meds for a week now and l did feel a little better yesterday. Not sure if it was down to them or the fact l was just having a reasonable day.
l am still a bit anxious about going away with my friends on Friday until Monday, but lm sure once lm away it will do me good...it usually does. And he can have a nice relaxing weekend of drinking without having to sneak around. Win win!
Old 12-05-2018, 02:09 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Awal…...you see alcohol as a problem.....he sees it as a solution.....
l have realised that he his drinking has nothing to do with not loving me..its more to do with him not loving himself.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gettingcloser View Post
Hi Awal
You are not really arguing with your husband about this you are arguing with the disease. In a way it is like arguing with cancer. Alcoholism is so cruel that it will actually over ride his love for you.
Just like my anorexia over rode my love for my ex husband and my parents many years ago. I did my share of lying and deceiving back then.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:15 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
So now, he'll hide the brandy and you won't see it, but you will still know he is drinking. You know what you know. You still will not be happy and it will seem akin to him hiding the liquor again, which was your original complaint. Back to square one.
Yep...its like a game of snakes and ladders!
Old 12-05-2018, 02:16 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
Awal, the hiding of bottles, drinking in secret are side issues. Even if he stopped all hiding and secrecy the real problem would remain.

He has no intention of stopping drinking. You can't stand his drinking. You're tying yourself up in knots trying to find a way to accept the unacceptable.

I truly hope you can find some peace.
Thank you, l hope i can too. X
Old 12-05-2018, 02:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clover71 View Post

i would say say it's more about protecting his habit and trying to keep the peace at the same time. I don't think it is "personal" as in intentional malice

Can l ask how you managed to overcome the 'sleuthing' and monitoring and how you maintain the strength? X
Old 12-05-2018, 03:52 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Awal View Post
Can l ask how you managed to overcome the 'sleuthing' and monitoring and how you maintain the strength? X
Awal, people overcome and maintain this with a program of health and change for themselves. What is your program of change for yourself?
Old 12-05-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Awal, why do you check?

What does that give you? There is always a reason for behaviours, what is the reason here?

Originally you thought he was lying about his drinking (which he was/is) and then you felt he was still lying after promising you he would not and would drink openly (and he does continue to lie).

Now there must be some other motivator?
Old 12-05-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Awal, why do you check?

What does that give you? There is always a reason for behaviours, what is the reason here?

Originally you thought he was lying about his drinking (which he was/is) and then you felt he was still lying after promising you he would not and would drink openly (and he does continue to lie).

Now there must be some other motivator?
l guess lm trying to establish the severity of the problem. And if l should be as worried as l currently am.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

l guess lm trying to establish the severity of the problem. And if l should be as worried as l currently am.

Well, what facts do you have.

- You know for a fact that this has been going on for at least 8 years, since you have been in his life? The first discovered vodka bottle.

- You spoke with his ex wife who confirmed he has a drinking problem and has had as long as she has known him.

- You know that people who only drink "normally" or a little bit don't hide it.

- He regularly hides his drinking, there is no question, you have this "evidence".

He has a drinking problem and not a little one, you can be sure of that, I think, at this point.

If you could determine that he drinks X amount on X days at X times - so say you knew he drank 30 standard drinks a week. What would you do with that information?
Old 12-05-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Awal….I have hesitated to say, what seems to me, to be the obvious....
It seems to me (and, you can correct me if I am wrong, of course)...that you are unhappy with the state of the marriage....and, you are charging his drinking as the culprit....I know that you believe that if he did not drink,,,that the marriage would be fine....or, at least, acceptable....

The reason that I am bringing this up...is , that...this forum is full of people..literally,thousands and th ousands of posters who speak of how much more difficult that relationships became AFTER the alcoholic stopped drinking. They are so shocked to learn that putting down the bottle does not bring about the changes that they yearned, so desperately, for.....that the changes take a long period of working a program to c hange the alcoholic thinking into a change of attitude...which, leads, eventually, to a change in behaviors...…..
Statistically...more marriages break up after the bottle is put down...than before the bottle is put down.....

I think that what people really want (most of the ones that come here) is a happy marriage/relationship.....
Recovery for the alcoholic...esp. those who have a long drinking history....typically takes a long time and a lot of hard work in a program and counseling....1--2--3 years....or, up to 5yrs.---depending on who you talk to...
And, the alcoholic has to live by the program principles, conscientiously, for the rest of their life...otherwise, there will be relapse...even after a lot of years....

Awal...do you have that amount of time. in your life, that you want to dedicate, to see if your marriage will become satisfying...?
From what you say...he is not willing to accept any kind of program or treatment...
It is true that some people are so resistant to the idea of help that they will never accept it....it is simply too much of a stigma to them...or, they are too fearful and too threatened to attempt it...

I am wondering if your husband is one that falls into this category....

I have a suspicion that your searching behaviors are really a quest to find some gurantee that he is n ot drinking so that you will have what you desperately want...a happy marriage....

You are really searching for a happy marriage....
***If I am wrong---may the locusts invade my fields....
Old 12-05-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

The severity of which problem? The severity of his drinking? Or the severity of your reaction to it?

One is your problem and one is his. You can only control one of those things.

It really doesn't matter how much he drinks.It doesn't matter what you or I or he or anybody else considers an acceptable amount for him to drink. What matters is that as it stands, the amount he drinks and the dishonesty that comes with it, is a problem for you.

I would love to see you focusing on what you can do for you, instead wasting your precious energy trying to understand the inexplicable

I know this is really tough stuff Awal. Old habits die hard and I had one hell of a hard time changing my ways too. But at least I changed, my AXH is still drinking his life away.

*hugs*
Old 12-05-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Tracking? Dealing with an alcoholic spouse is like being in war. And the most valuable asset in war is information. The most valuable weapons are spies.
Learn your enemy's weakness and strengths, know your own, know the battlefield and you will win.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I think that what people really want (most of the ones that come here) is a happy marriage/relationship.....
They are so shocked to learn that putting down the bottle does not bring about the changes that they yearned, so desperately, for
This. I keep seeing this actually and I also wonder when I read posts from people about their SO drinking or using other drugs, if what lies ahead is any better.

If you married someone who drinks - especially if:

1. They have been drinking for a long time
2. When they drink is the only time they are open, relaxed and fun

Then them sobering up can be quite a shock. If they were the "life of the party" they won't be anymore or not for some long time. If they have been drinking for a long time their emotional expressions may stop altogether if the only time they feel "open" enough to express them is if they have had a drink(s).

If the drinking has been prolonged, you have never known the person sober. If you have been with them while they have been drinking for say, 10 of the 12 years of the relationship, that person may be long gone - 10 years of drinking/maturing while drinking is a long time.

Anyway, really good point there dandylion and I think your fields are safe from the locusts!
Old 12-05-2018, 11:54 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I gotta tell you that this is a big pile of codependent thinking right here.

You cannot change him. You can change your thinking.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Awal...I just want to point out that for many people not measuring their significant other's consumption takes YEARS. I can say this personally as it took me many years. It would be even more hard because it's right in front of your face.

Be nice to yourself. Keep working on YOU. It's a process for sure.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Awal...I just want to point out that for many people not measuring their significant other's consumption takes YEARS. I can say this personally as it took me many years. It would be even more hard because it's right in front of your face.

Be nice to yourself. Keep working on YOU. It's a process for sure.
l dont intend for it to take years...i am still coming to terms with all this...its only been a matter of months since l really saw the red flag...the other signs before this l kind of denied and shrugged off.
l am not searching anymore which is a start. 😊
Old 12-05-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FallenAngelina View Post
I gotta tell you that this is a big pile of codependent thinking right here.

You cannot change him. You can change your thinking.
Everyone keeps telling me this but no one seems to be able to break it down into a plan of action? Apart from a generic "concentrate on yourself". I am taking trips away with friends or my dog. Im planning outings with friends to shows and concerts. But lm living with AH and of course have to have interaction with him or what's the point of loving him? He isnt a bad person.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Awal….I have hesitated to say, what seems to me, to be the obvious....
It seems to me (and, you can correct me if I am wrong, of course)...that you are unhappy with the state of the marriage....and, you are charging his drinking as the culprit....I know that you believe that if he did not drink,,,that the marriage would be fine....or, at least, acceptable....

The reason that I am bringing this up...is , that...this forum is full of people..literally,thousands and th ousands of posters who speak of how much more difficult that relationships became AFTER the alcoholic stopped drinking. They are so shocked to learn that putting down the bottle does not bring about the changes that they yearned, so desperately, for.....that the changes take a long period of working a program to c hange the alcoholic thinking into a change of attitude...which, leads, eventually, to a change in behaviors...…..
Statistically...more marriages break up after the bottle is put down...than before the bottle is put down.....

Recovery for the alcoholic...esp. those who have a long drinking history....typically takes a long time and a lot of hard work in a program and counseling....1--2--3 years....or, up to 5yrs.---depending on who you talk to...
And, the alcoholic has to live by the program principles, conscientiously, for the rest of their life...otherwise, there will be relapse...even after a lot of years....

Awal...do you have that amount of time. in your life, that you want to dedicate, to see if your marriage will become satisfying...?
From what you say...he is not willing to accept any kind of program or treatment...
It is true that some people are so resistant to the idea of help that they will never accept it....it is simply too much of a stigma to them...or, they are too fearful and too threatened to attempt it...

I am wondering if your husband is one that falls into this category....

I have a suspicion that your searching behaviors are really a quest to find some gurantee that he is n ot drinking so that you will have what you desperately want...a happy marriage....

You are really searching for a happy marriage....
***If I am wrong---may the locusts invade my fields....
l am searching for a happy life and l would love my husband to be a part of that life. I will give him first refusal of any future events i.e. concerts films social occasions, but if he turns them down l will go with a friend as l do not intend to miss out.
p.s. no locusts coming your way 😁