Anti depressants

Old 11-26-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anti depressants

Ive tried to cope without them but have decided to see my GP tomorrow to ask for medication. I simply can't cope. I have felt stronger for a while but can feel myself slipping. 😢
Old 11-26-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

Good idea to talk to your doctor about this. Trust your gut instincts about this.

One day at a time.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All I can do here is share part of my story Mango.

I have c-PTSD and major depression- nearly lifelong for the latter. I have had numerous antidepressants prescribed for me in the past, at those times I had a pov wishing the pill would magically make my depression go away. Which of course does not happen.
I do find though, with my GP to monitor my depression and an antidepressant I am on (probably for life- but this is WAAAY better than the hopeless, sad, isolating, lonely despair I felt) AND using CBT with guidance from my psychologist (all mine, no one else's psychologist)- I am slowly managing my depression better.
The antidepressant- for me is a game changer. It levels the playing pield for me- allowing me then to confront the anxiety that always shadows me.
Prayers and support to you.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Awal,

If I could have taken anti d's without losing my job, I probably would have.

For certain professions it is a show stopper.

I suffered hellish anxiety for over a year, but the whole time I had moments of clarity and I could tell it was getting better. I listened to the audio book..From Panic to Power. That helped a ton.

I did lots of deep breathing exercises too. These days, all of the strategies I used in the early days work amazingly well. It is almost like magic.

Awareness of what is going on inside is what P2P taught me. Anxiety/nervousness are the same emotion as excitement for fun stuff. The body gets adrenaline rushes.

I worked out a bunch too and fairly routinely achieved a natural endorphin high. Still do.

I think that helped me a bunch.

Regardless of what I am offering, I know I could relapse tomorrow and I still take it the AA way...1 day at a time. I actually up the ante and say...1 moment at a time.

I used to find so much peace sitting in my car at work, during a break. Same thing at home...laying in my bed with my eyes closed. The world would slow down for me. That made me believe I was healing.

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Awal. I can only tell you what my experience is. 7 years ago, my GP prescribed me anti anxiety / anti depression meds. I'm one who does a lot of research and was freaked out and would not take them. Fast forward to last year. I walked into my new GP office and started crying shortly after. I started taking Lexapro last year, and it truly changed my life. I talked to my mom about it and she said do you realize you are worrying about worrying. It was exhausting.

It it doesn't have to be long term. I took them short term after my last kiddo was born. I didn't realize I had always had anxiety. The depression was new and mostly from my situation. It didn't make me feel "nothing" but it leveled me off so my head wasn't spinning all the time. For me, it has been a. god send.

This doesn't mean it's for you, but when you google the meds you get the worst stories and not people who are doing fine on them

Old 11-26-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I honestly believe anti-depressants saved my life.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

lve been prescribed antidepressants. So thats both hubby and l now who need props to get us through life. 😕
Old 11-27-2018, 03:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done for reaching out to your doctor for good self care. It shows great strength to reach out for help.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can ask your GP about getting medication directly from him/her, or you can ask for a referral to a psychiatrist that specializes in treatment for mental disorders. My medical practice has it's own psychiatric care group, so I have a p-doc that manages my prescriptions and suggested vitamin supplements to combat my anxiety and depression. It has all made a huge difference in my life for the better.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are absolutely right to seek your physicians advise.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was reluctant to take antidepressants, saw it as a sign that I had failed somehow. Especially when I was "doing everything right"- exercise, meditation, etc.
Left untreated, my symptoms become unmanageable for me without the aid of medication. I didn't realize how much I wasn't really living my life until I got that extra boost from my antidepressants.
It helps me to look at them as part of my overall self-care regime. I didn't become a drugged-out zombie, didn't stop doing good things for myself. I actually can do more because I don't have that despondent, low-energy feeling lingering every day.
Glad you're giving it a chance. Seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness.

ETA: alcohol and prescribed medication taken as directed are not equivalent in any way. I got a lot of grief from my ex about "taking pills" but that was just a lot of noise (quacking) to deflect from his drinking behavior.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good job for realizing you need some help. Do your research too. Some have bad side effects and don;t be surprised if you have to switch at some point. Good Luck
Old 11-27-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Awal,

If I could have taken anti d's without losing my job, I probably would have.

For certain professions it is a show stopper.
Not sure what profession this would be true for. Nobody has the right to know anything about their employee's medical treatment.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Much like people who need canes or walkers to help them in life, antidepressants to me fall into that healthy category where alcohol does not.

We have to do what we have to do!
Old 11-27-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

In response to MindfulMan's post....I don't want to hijack this thread...but, actually, here in the US, there are professions where the public safety/welfare are concerned, that have requirements of medical examinations and the employer has access to the records....
Old 11-27-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Awal View Post
lve been prescribed antidepressants. So thats both hubby and l now who need props to get us through life. 😕
Medication for brain imbalances are no different than taking medication for - an infection.

Both are medical conditions and it really does help to think of it that way.

Your depression could be situational or it could be more chronic, either way, accepting help is a sign of strength Awal and good for you for seeking it out.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
In response to MindfulMan's post....I don't want to hijack this thread...but, actually, here in the US, there are professions where the public safety/welfare are concerned, that have requirements of medical examinations and the employer has access to the records....
Such as...? In that case described could you see a psychiatrist on your own (as long as you paid for it)? I'm guessing that your employer would have access to your medical records with regards to these examinations.

There was an air traffic controller at at major metropolitan airport that managed to be an opiate addict while working...I'm sure there are ways.

I guess if you are military it could be very difficult, as there is little to no privacy with regards to your medical history and treatment if you are in the military.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mindfulman….example---my husband (now passed), a cardiologist, was employed by the CIA at Langley, and did regular examinations of the agents, at the facility. Part of the medical history is to ask about any treamtents and medications they might be taking..as well as any emotional or mental conditions that they might have....and, lying, or, omitting, would be cause for dismissal....
He also did similar work for airline pilots....

There is, also, a data base that is kept for opiates, etc., for keeping track of physicians' prescribing habits....kept by their NINDB numbers (each doctor has such a number)….
Old 11-27-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Awal View Post
I hope you don't see it as the same.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

People take ADs for a variety of reasons. I was on a short course during my divorce years ago. I'm on them now to help with night sweats and hot flashes of menopause.

I'm very happy to hear you are working with your doctor to provide you with some relief!

https://www.today.com/health/what-pe...u-know-t142765