Anti depressants

Old 11-29-2018, 11:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
People take ADs for a variety of reasons. I was on a short course during my divorce years ago. I'm on them now to help with night sweats and hot flashes of menopause.

I'm very happy to hear you are working with your doctor to provide you with some relief!

https://www.today.com/health/what-pe...u-know-t142765
Maybe the meds lm taking will help me with the hot flashes etc too....fingers crossed.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Awal View Post
Maybe the meds lm taking will help me with the hot flashes etc too....fingers crossed.
Me, too, Awal!!!
Old 12-02-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi Awal,

Can you notice a difference so far? How are you doing day-to-day?
Old 12-02-2018, 11:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
Hi Awal,

Can you notice a difference so far? How are you doing day-to-day?
Hi Mango, i am on day six of the pills, i don't think i feel any better for them yet, but was advised they could take two weeks or so to start having an effect.
l actually feel better when lm at work, doing my job which is a distraction to what's happening at home.
l am hoping that by Christmas l will be back on an even keel as Boxing Day is the anniversary of my mother dying (24 years ago) and that in itself still upsets me without all the trauma with AH.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Life is good

(((hugs)))

That sounds like it's been really good timing for reaching out to your doctor and this good self-care.

Keep in mind gentleness for you. You really do deserve it.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
(((hugs)))

That sounds like it's been really good timing for reaching out to your doctor and this good self-care.

Keep in mind gentleness for you. You really do deserve it.
Thanks Mango, lm not sleeping too well right now. Im not sure if its a side effect of the meds or just the thoughts whizzing around in my mind. A combination of the two probably!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

good for you
Old 12-03-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Mango, i am on day six of the pills, i don't think i feel any better for them yet, but was advised they could take two weeks or so to start having an effect.
l actually feel better when lm at work, doing my job which is a distraction to what's happening at home.
l am hoping that by Christmas l will be back on an even keel as Boxing Day is the anniversary of my mother dying (24 years ago) and that in itself still upsets me without all the trauma with AH.
Like most everyone has said I am glad you have seen your Dr, are trying to accept that meds are "ok"- which was weird for me at first, plenty of yrs ago- and I'd say that most I have used and also heard about others' experiences, a month is a good marker for noticeable effect. A side note- I do believe a good psych is important, and also that diff meds are best for diff people, so I hope you don't give up if this first one doesn't seem helpful.

I have also found that my drug regimen is just one important tool in my rcovery. No pill cures alcoholism so multiple active sources of support are important for me.

Glad you are here.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Mango, lm not sleeping too well right now. Im not sure if its a side effect of the meds or just the thoughts whizzing around in my mind. A combination of the two probably!
The time of day that you take medications can be important for sleep. If you are taking it later in the day maybe switch to taking it in the morning?

Hope it provides some relief soon!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Hopefully you are seeing a psychiatrist and not a primary care physician for your meds. Psych meds are an art, and a psychiatrist has a lot more training in these medications than a general practitioner.

SSRIs cause me some insomnia, particularly at first. I augment with low doses of trazodone which makes me a bit drowsy.

Ask your doctor about any changes you want to make, like changing the time when you take them.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

l take the pills at 6.30am.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Awal I'm glad you're taking the pills--I had a similar response when my therapist suggested that I go on AD too! (the 'broken' feeling)

I ended up going to the doctor to ask for AD, but she listened to my family history and ran some other tests and figured out that my thyroid was out of whack. I have hashimotos thyroiditis (the auto-immune kind, where your body attacks your thyroid gland), and times of high stress can really put the auto-immune response into overdrive. Anyway, I got on some thyroid medication and I feel a LOT better. I haven't really felt the need for AD after starting the thyroid medication, but I still do have a prescription in my cabinet if I feel like I need it in the future.

Anyway, I guess it's fairly common for thyroid disorders to show anxiety or depression as a symptom.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AutumnMama View Post
Awal I'm glad you're taking the pills--I had a similar response when my therapist suggested that I go on AD too! (the 'broken' feeling)

I ended up going to the doctor to ask for AD, but she listened to my family history and ran some other tests and figured out that my thyroid was out of whack. I have hashimotos thyroiditis (the auto-immune kind, where your body attacks your thyroid gland), and times of high stress can really put the auto-immune response into overdrive. Anyway, I got on some thyroid medication and I feel a LOT better. I haven't really felt the need for AD after starting the thyroid medication, but I still do have a prescription in my cabinet if I feel like I need it in the future.

Anyway, I guess it's fairly common for thyroid disorders to show anxiety or depression as a symptom.
My anxiety is caused by somebody else's body and how he is abusing it... not my own.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

My anxiety is caused by somebody else's body and how he is abusing it... not my own.
And that is just one of the ways they take you down with them, Awal. I'm sorry.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I remember those days of coming to work and feeling like I did not want to go home. That is one of the things that caused me to know how unhappy I had really become.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anti D's saved my life too. I feel so much better with them. It levels the playing field so I'm not always feeling hopeless.

I hope your meds help you feel better.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Anti D's saved my life too. I feel so much better with them. It levels the playing field so I'm not always feeling hopeless.

I hope your meds help you feel better.
lm hoping they do too. I don't intend to stay on them for too long though, just long enough to help me accept the situation lm in without it affecting my confidence and concentration. My job involves ordering spectacle lenses and contact lenses so as you can imagine ordering the wrong prescription due to preoccupation of problems at home wouldn't be good!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I remember those days of coming to work and feeling like I did not want to go home. That is one of the things that caused me to know how unhappy I had really become.
l think its the difference between being with positive 'normal' people rather than an unpredictable withdrawn person.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:29 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

apols mango- I wrote my share to Awal but my fried brain got confused