Hi I’m new looking for advice/understanding

Old 11-25-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KRae1984 View Post

he apparently has a history of disappearing on friends and then coming back years later. One of his former friends reached out to me and told me this. She said I wouldn’t hear from him for a few years. is that a characteristic of an alcoholic or just someone with issues that’s a narcissist?

I don't know. The one characteristic I know of common to alcoholics, is that they drink more than they should. Beyond that, I think their behaviors can vary. As for narcissists, all I know is that they are obsessed with their own greatness. As for disappearing for a couple years, it actually sounds like something else, but whatever it is, it's not a good thing and a deal breaker for relationships.

also, he ended a marriage four years ago, talks poorly about her but never managed to cut the string. He reaches out to her all the time and even had her on his insurance until last year. Is that just a personality flaw or another behavior?
I don't know, but it sounds a little odd to me.

lastly, is it normal for them to come back around after they’re out of a time of being so engulfed in their active addiction?
Strange things happen, but I wouldn't count on it. If it does, you can reassess the situation if you're still interested by then.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My ex had a similar history with friends and family of disappearing. IN the end, he really didn't have that many friends and it felt like I was the one initiating family stuff. He also had a similar situation with his ex-wife, although they had been divorced for years, where he really struggled with what he felt was abandoning her (although in a strange moment of clarity one time he actually admitted that she had left because he had put her through so much). His ex remarried recently, so maybe this precipitated his self described search for a life partner. There are also some years and relationships that always seemed vague.

My ex and I also had a similar argument over me replacing an HVAC system at my place because I had refused his help to split costs. (IN retrospect, I think he might've interpreted this as me wanting to keep finances separate in case things went south - which was in fact true).

I think, for me, the missing link in this rather incomplete and somewhat shady chronology is that something was up. Now I know what it probably was in part (vodka). Sure, it could be a nice guy self-medicating his guilt and shame away (which was my takeaway), but the key for me turning the page is that he very consciously and brutally made the decision that over me he preferred vodka. I have no idea really if it would've worked otherwise - but I don't really need to because that was the reality.

I'm so sorry for all your plans being spoiled also ... my family also liked my ex and I was very excited about our future together and combining families. But then I think that the future personal cost to me is now well worth the short term pain. Again, it is taking time and the perspective of others who ahve been there to fully "get it."
Old 11-25-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Poprockprincess

Originally Posted by fightingfair View Post
My ex had a similar history with friends and family of disappearing. IN the end, he really didn't have that many friends and it felt like I was the one initiating family stuff. He also had a similar situation with his ex-wife, although they had been divorced for years, where he really struggled with what he felt was abandoning her (although in a strange moment of clarity one time he actually admitted that she had left because he had put her through so much). His ex remarried recently, so maybe this precipitated his self described search for a life partner. There are also some years and relationships that always seemed vague.

My ex and I also had a similar argument over me replacing an HVAC system at my place because I had refused his help to split costs. (IN retrospect, I think he might've interpreted this as me wanting to keep finances separate in case things went south - which was in fact true).

I think, for me, the missing link in this rather incomplete and somewhat shady chronology is that something was up. Now I know what it probably was in part (vodka). Sure, it could be a nice guy self-medicating his guilt and shame away (which was my takeaway), but the key for me turning the page is that he very consciously and brutally made the decision that over me he preferred vodka. I have no idea really if it would've worked otherwise - but I don't really need to because that was the reality.

I'm so sorry for all your plans being spoiled also ... my family also liked my ex and I was very excited about our future together and combining families. But then I think that the future personal cost to me is now well worth the short term pain. Again, it is taking time and the perspective of others who ahve been there to fully "get it."
did you ever hear from him since he ended things? Or do they just shut you out?

My ex sounds so similar to yours! But mine hit a point where he couldn’t make it to work in the morning and I don’t know if it’s alcohol or if it’s depression or both. I feel terrible knowing he told me he wasn’t okay.. and now I’m left alone and worried sick about him with no way to check on him.

How did you move forward? How did you turn your brain off? I lay in bed with anxiety all night and cannot sleep bc I’m so worried about him. I feel helpless.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I understand your point, that makes complete sense. So am I supposed to just educate myself and IF he ever comes back around know how to handle it and decide if I even want to be a part of that mess? Is that my best plan of action? I mean.. at this point I don’t think he will come back. When someone blocks you out completely then I think it’s over and I should just focus on me and moving forward, correct? Do people like him come back around? Should I be prepared for that?
Impossible to say if he will reappear. I think it can't but help to read around and find out all you can about alcoholism so you know the facts for yourself. It will also help you to round out the picture of what just happened.

Whether he does or doesn't reappear, focusing back on yourself and what you want and what makes you happy is really key.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fightingfair View Post
He also had a similar situation with his ex-wife, although they had been divorced for years, where he really struggled with what he felt was abandoning her (although in a strange moment of clarity one time he actually admitted that she had left because he had put her through so much).
Here's a variation of that behavior, but probably a bit more goofy. A guy I knew from AA, with a good 20 years of sobriety behind him, suddenly dumped his wife, which everyone thought was strange, because he was always telling people how good natured and sweet his wife was, and I think she was indeed just that. Everyone else thought the same thing. She had the patience of a saint, and put up with constant crazy things her husband did. She left in tears when he told her to leave.

But here's where it gets nuts. After they split, he started telling everyone she had left him. Those that knew him knew it was a lie. Then suddenly he started acting all bitter and saying she was a bitch and yada yada...

The week she left, he threw away his 20 years, and started drinking again, carrying it to the extremes he did 20 years earlier. He also started smoking. He lived for another two or three years, and then died from some kind of liver disease, but I don't know the precise details. I had lost contact with him after the divorce. I assume getting blotto night after night didn't help his liver much.

But alcoholics do strange things, even in recovery, it seems. In his case, he did have some minor mental problems, probably unrelated to drinking, but I don't know for sure.

His ex is doing fine now. Last I talked to her, she was very happy with her life.

Last edited by DriGuy; 11-25-2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added something:
Old 11-25-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Poprockprincess

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Here's a variation of that behavior, but probably a bit more goofy. A guy I knew from AA, with a good 20 years of sobriety behind him, suddenly dumped his wife, which everyone thought was strange, because he was always telling people how good natured and sweet his wife was, and I think she was indeed just that. Everyone else thought the same thing. She had the patience of a saint, and put up with constant crazy things her husband did. She left in tears when he told her to leave.

But here's where it gets nuts. After they split, he started telling everyone she had left him. Those that knew him knew it was a lie. Then suddenly he started acting all bitter and saying she was a bitch and yada yada...

The week she left, he threw away his 20 years, and started drinking again, carrying it to the extremes he did 20 years earlier. He also started smoking. He lived for another two or three years, and then died from some kind of liver disease, but I don't know the precise details. I had lost contact with him after the divorce. I assume getting blotto night after night didn't help his liver much.

But alcoholics do strange things, even in recovery, it seems. In his case, he did have some minor mental problems, probably unrelated to drinking, but I don't know for sure.

His ex is doing fine now. Last I talked to her, she was very happy with her life.
That is so strange. I’ve always wondered why he felt like he “owed” her and the excuse he gave me was just that.. but who knows it may be something else. He said he let her file for divorce bc she’s an attorney for the state and he didn’t want to ruin her reputation.. but maybe she really left him. But I can’t fogure out why she would still talk to him if that’s the case. His daughter said there were times last year where she’s invited to lunch with him and his ex wife would be there. Weird huh? And his family hates his ex. It’s just weird overall.

I honestly think from my experience with understanding mental illness, that he may be bipolar. He had so many manic behaviors (he used to iron the corners of his rug even) and would go through crazy cleaning habits sometimes. But then again maybe it wasn’t bipolar. Maybe it’s something else. I don’t know. I may never know. He has come in and out of my life over the years and that’s why I wonder if a year from now he will show up again or not. I guess time will tell.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Not that weird maybe. He broke up with you twice before this last time and you ended up talking to him again. I'm just saying that people get attached, people can be friends, despite what has gone on, plus they have a child, she has perhaps forgiven him.

I'm sure there is much more to that story than you know. This drinking may have been going on for years? I think there may be a lot he hasn't revealed here. Not saying there is anything "sinister".

As for the family hating her, who knows what he told them but it was probably very one sided. Like this:

bc he didn’t want to get engaged - and I’m pretty sure he told that to his mom as his reason for drinking so much
Now all of a sudden YOU are the reason for his drinking, the bad guy, the one to blame.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic, did I want this for myself, no, I didn't. I always knew I had tendencies that way. I also have a very mathematically and scientific mind. I always wanted to know the whys and the hows of everything.

I had a job that involved dealing with the public a lot. I never went to college, but I had people skills. I knew how to make people feel comfortable when they were talking to me. I was/am empathetic. In my job, there was never anyone who walked away from my desk feeling like I was looking down at them or that they were lesser then me. They walked away feeling good about themselves.

I always felt that if you showed respect for someone, that it would also be returned to you.

So, why did I just write all of that. I really don't know. I think maybe because it was the beginning of my story..

I'm an alcoholic. I have not had anything to drink in years. I am still working on my own coping skills. I thought I was able to cope with things, but apparently not.

You see, it's different sometimes. When you meet a stranger, usually both try to put their best forward. It's also like that in the beginning of a relationship. I mean, how can it not be. If a person is really awful to you in the beginning, would you continue dating them?

I was married for over 25 years. I can look back now and see things that weren't right. I didn't see them then, I didn't want to. I always felt that things could be worked out. I was naive. Ummm, I had no coping skills after trying to use logic, and empathy. I read probably all the books that I could about relationships, I was always trying to change me. Change me, so that he would like me, show me some respect. I wasn't asking for much. Thing was, I wasn't asking for much, I really wasn't asking for anything, and I would hide in the garage and drink in my car, just so I could go to sleep that night.

I never learned coping skills for how to deal with someone who just usually seemed oppositional to me. I always thought that 2 intelligent people can just work things out. Meanwhile, I was in a situation were I was fearing for my life, afraid to leave, because I had 2 children there, but afraid to stay, hence, I was living in my garage.

Sometimes, I remember those times, and sometimes I wish it never happened. This forum helped me a lot in developing coping skills. I can never repay them enough for that.

When I think back of all the crazy things that I did to keep a relationship, well sometimes I have to say that you can't make sense out of non-sense.

((((((((((((hugs to you and your son)))))))))))))
Keep yourself and your son safe

amy
Old 11-25-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Right on, Amy!
Old 11-25-2018, 09:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Poprockprincess

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Not that weird maybe. He broke up with you twice before this last time and you ended up talking to him again. I'm just saying that people get attached, people can be friends, despite what has gone on, plus they have a child, she has perhaps forgiven him.

I'm sure there is much more to that story than you know. This drinking may have been going on for years? I think there may be a lot he hasn't revealed here. Not saying there is anything "sinister".

As for the family hating her, who knows what he told them but it was probably very one sided. Like this:

Now all of a sudden YOU are the reason for his drinking, the bad guy, the one to blame.
Oh! His ex wife isn’t his daughters mom. Sorry I should’ve clarified. His daughters mom and him had her when they were 20... they get along well. His ex wife and him have no kids. He asked for a divorce 6 mo after the marriage but they dated 7 years. Weird.

i don’t think his mom thinks I’m the reason.. I don’t want to believe that but that’s what she accepted.. she knew that Sunday when she called he needed help and he has a problem. I just wish she’d stop enabling him financially and with a job. But I get it.. it’s your son and If you don’t know better.. I don’t know..

excuses. I guess I don’t know anything and may never. But I do know the drinking has been going on for years. I definitely think that’s the truth.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sometimes I think about, "what is love?" Is it something that you should just feel because you are dating a guy/gal for awhile.? Is it because you may be getting older and feel that you need a partner in life? I look back on my life, I see a relationship that I was in. I respected that relationship. My ex didn't. I tried to change everything about me so that he would love me again. Nothing worked.... I went towards drinking to help me get through this, because I had no coping skills. I know there are many other ways that people can go go to when they don't have coping skills, or as I like to call it, "knowing your true self and your strenght".

I remember all the forums and all the books that I read, just to find out what the problem was and if there was any way that I could help.

Like I said before,, there are some people that want to be heard and no one really listens to them, and there are other people that want to distance themselves from the people that are closest to them.

We can sit there and scratch our heads all we want, and we can read all the books we want, but mathematically and scientifically we cannot change a person. The person may have been the best person that you met, when you met them. That's what people do. They can do that for years, or sometimes only a few months, it might depend on how long it needs to snare you in.

I also wanted to tell you about my children. You mentioned that you had a son. My children did not talk to me for a really long time after the divorce. Ummm, I was not there for them for years, because I spent all those years trying to research how to change for my ex.

Just remember sometimes, you can't make sense out of non-sense. Remember the important things in your life. You and your son.

amy
Old 11-25-2018, 10:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Oh! His ex wife isn’t his daughters mom. Sorry I should’ve clarified. His daughters mom and him had her when they were 20... they get along well. His ex wife and him have no kids. He asked for a divorce 6 mo after the marriage but they dated 7 years. Weird.

i don’t think his mom thinks I’m the reason.. I don’t want to believe that but that’s what she accepted.. she knew that Sunday when she called he needed help and he has a problem. I just wish she’d stop enabling him financially and with a job. But I get it.. it’s your son and If you don’t know better.. I don’t know..

excuses. I guess I don’t know anything and may never. But I do know the drinking has been going on for years. I definitely think that’s the truth.
Maybe not that weird, maybe she didn't realize the extent of his drinking either? Maybe once she was 6 months in she had enough of it and asked him to quit, maybe accused him of being an alcoholic?

I'm just throwing that out there, I have no idea of course but you saw his response to any threat to his drinking. If he is labelled an "alcoholic" that implies he has to do something about it (perhaps).

He probably has some great qualities, obviously or you wouldn't have chosen him, but, there is another whole side there.

Yes, it is too bad his Mom props him up but unless you know, you don't know, she probably thinks she's helping.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Poprockprincess

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
Sometimes I think about, "what is love?" Is it something that you should just feel because you are dating a guy/gal for awhile.? Is it because you may be getting older and feel that you need a partner in life? I look back on my life, I see a relationship that I was in. I respected that relationship. My ex didn't. I tried to change everything about me so that he would love me again. Nothing worked.... I went towards drinking to help me get through this, because I had no coping skills. I know there are many other ways that people can go go to when they don't have coping skills, or as I like to call it, "knowing your true self and your strenght".

I remember all the forums and all the books that I read, just to find out what the problem was and if there was any way that I could help.

Like I said before,, there are some people that want to be heard and no one really listens to them, and there are other people that want to distance themselves from the people that are closest to them.

We can sit there and scratch our heads all we want, and we can read all the books we want, but mathematically and scientifically we cannot change a person. The person may have been the best person that you met, when you met them. That's what people do. They can do that for years, or sometimes only a few months, it might depend on how long it needs to snare you in.

I also wanted to tell you about my children. You mentioned that you had a son. My children did not talk to me for a really long time after the divorce. Ummm, I was not there for them for years, because I spent all those years trying to research how to change for my ex.

Just remember sometimes, you can't make sense out of non-sense. Remember the important things in your life. You and your son.

amy
im trying my best. I have issues coparenting with my ex husband.. he is controlling and manipulative. I had to go to court last month to get child support payments bc they were late and now he took my son to Canada this weekend and didn’t respond to any of my texts or calls to check in on him. He also wasn’t where he’s supposed to be.. so I have to go back to court and hold him in contempt. Everything is just so hard these days. I’m emotionally drained.