Sometimes I wonder why I bothered.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pdm22 View Post

Yup, that’s what I’m talking about, it’s totally a thing.

Not knowing these people myself, but from what you have said, and just knowing how people are..it’s much better to be really, really rigid with your boundaries now and not give her an inch (and with him too, as you’ve said yourself). It’s worse when you go into situations with looser boundaries, and then try to firm them up, you get met with all kinds of retaliation then. And from what you have said about him, it doesn’t sound like he’s going to let this woman control him or his behavior, if anything, he’ll get triggered by her trying to, that’s my guess.
Yes that kind of control can only trigger. It's fine now when he is in her total control, but once he starts to pull away again hopefully if he gets better, she will suffocate him. I liken her to Cathy Bates in the film Misery lol.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by glenjo99 View Post
yes that kind of control can only trigger. It's fine now when he is in her total control, but once he starts to pull away again hopefully if he gets better, she will suffocate him. I liken her to cathy bates in the film misery lol.
lol!!!
Old 11-23-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
Yes that kind of control can only trigger. It's fine now when he is in her total control, but once he starts to pull away again hopefully if he gets better, she will suffocate him. I liken her to Cathy Bates in the film Misery lol.
eek!

What I see happening is that it's still early days yet, he has been through a lot and can finally take a deep breath and relax. Food, company, alcohol, relaxation, alcohol.

Where is he getting money from? He must have some and why on earth does the cousin believe that he is only drinking his TWO bottles of wine a day?

Anyway, as you said, he bucked that system last time and he will again once he gets bored with it, he will be sneaking around drinking and she will be on to it and the fighting will begin when she sees she is losing control (which she never had and never will).

Don't get me wrong, I wish him well, I just think is a bunch of BS. Even if tapering worked, which it can in some cases, tapering is a set reduction in alcohol to avoid withdrawal, it's not drinking two bottles of wine a day.

Kind of like going on a diet and eating enough to maintain your weight ie: it's BS because it makes exactly zero logical sense.

It's interesting was listening to melody beattie yesterday and she was saying the Codependent (his cousin) ends up ultimately being controlled.
Not ultimately in this case - already.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post

Not ultimately in this case - already.
Exactly. Codependent relationships are all about control and living by external cues. Anyone involved in a codependent relationship is already trapped in a cycle of (attempted) control by both people. I'd be interested to hear the exact quote.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FallenAngelina View Post
Exactly. Codependent relationships are all about control and living by external cues. Anyone involved in a codependent relationship is already trapped in a cycle of (attempted) control by both people. I'd be interested to hear the exact quote.
Definitely. I think if the two people involved are not aware and happy to do the controlling then they don't see it as being trapped, or that there are issues. They see it as normal. It's frustrating to me looking in a d now with my boundaries etc I have put myself on the outside. Hopefully I will be thankful down the line. I think I should try move on.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Interesting that it's the weekend and there's no contact, after quite a bit of texting during the week. Reminds me of when he lived here before. I was the mon-fri entertainment and at weekends was all quiet. I really wish I could believe I deserve more. My head knows it, the rest has to catch up.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Interesting that it's the weekend and there's no contact, after quite a bit of texting during the week. Reminds me of when he lived here before. I was the mon-fri entertainment and at weekends was all quiet. I really wish I could believe I deserve more. My head knows it, the rest has to catch up.
For me, it came with time--but only as long as I was treating myself as if I deserved better (even when I wasn't really feeling it).
Old 11-24-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
For me, it came with time--but only as long as I was treating myself as if I deserved better (even when I wasn't really feeling it).
That's good to know. Im keeping up my yoga, exercise, meditation and spiritual practise. Not as focused but to be expected.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
I think what you said here is so important SparkleKitty. How do you get from A to B if you aren't moving toward B.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Life is good

I wonder at times why I bothered. Why I bothered with learning all about codependency, staying on my side of the street and being responsible for myself.

The rewards are amazing.

I'm finding balance in letting go, moving forward, developing a kindness for myself, goals bigger than ever and enjoyment of life. Unconditional happiness, self-acceptance and authenticity.

One day at a time.

A.H. a game of alignment:
https://youtu.be/mmdfipxVW0s
Old 11-24-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Not everyone with substance abuse presents the same way, some are just unpredictable, but funny my dear friend who passed away was like this. I always kind of knew when he was off the wagon, because he’d start treating weekends as this thing, and since my partying days are looong gone, I’d mostly get silence, and he’d reappear after the weekend was over. When he was clean/ sober, he treated the weekends like any other day, and I’d hear from him even if he had a lot of busy family stuff going on.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Not everyone with substance abuse presents the same way, some are just unpredictable, but funny my dear friend who passed away was like this. I always kind of knew when he was off the wagon, because he’d start treating weekends as this thing, and since my partying days are looong gone, I’d mostly get silence, and he’d reappear after the weekend was over. When he was clean/ sober, he treated the weekends like any other day, and I’d hear from him even if he had a lot of busy family stuff going on.
That's interesting isn't it. I suppose if I'm honest I'm thinking, well he's out there with her drinking bottles of wine, instead of wanting to call into me. I know! But I have to say what I'm feeling. I really think if he contacts me after the weekend I'm going to ignore him.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'd say you have that right, that's probably exactly what they are doing. This is also the down side (as if you need any more) of the whole "friends" thing. Do all your friends call you on the weekend? Probably not, if he was your SO, then you would have an expectation of that (and rightfully so).

It's messy for sure.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Life is good

Does it matter?

Finding ease in our own lives, directing focus onto things we can control and are healthy for us, brings about big changes. Contemplating my own next good action, finding goodness where I am or directing my feet to a place where I can do that.

Al-anon does this for me. Breaking free from thought patterns that don't help me.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I'd say you have that right, that's probably exactly what they are doing. This is also the down side (as if you need any more) of the whole "friends" thing. Do all your friends call you on the weekend? Probably not, if he was your SO, then you would have an expectation of that (and rightfully so).

It's messy for sure.
Yes, totally true!
Old 11-24-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

That's interesting isn't it. I suppose if I'm honest I'm thinking, well he's out there with her drinking bottles of wine, instead of wanting to call into me. I know! But I have to say what I'm feeling. I really think if he contacts me after the weekend I'm going to ignore him.
Yeah it can happen with any loved one, but when it’s someone you have feelings for, those thoughts can really start to run amok...
Old 11-25-2018, 09:32 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi Glenjo,

Happy Sunday.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yeah it can happen with any loved one, but when it’s someone you have feelings for, those thoughts can really start to run amok...
Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
Hi Glenjo,

Happy Sunday.
Thanks Mango. Happy Sunday to you too. Just back from a walk, listened to some Ester Hicks podcasts!
Old 11-25-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Life is good

Have a wonderful day!
Old 11-25-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

...listened to some Ester Hicks podcasts!
Great resource for getting on track with the life you want. Well done.