Reporting back....

Old 11-21-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reporting back....

So my ex is back living near me with his cousin. I'll probably regret it, but I have agreed to meet up and have a chat with him. I met his cousin today, she asked me to report back to her if he is drinking, how much and what. Apparently he is drinking still but weening himself off it. He had 4 bottles of wine on Saturday she said, which she bought, and she said she is hoping he will stop sooner rather than later.

Firstly I know I know, NC is what I "should" do but hey I'm human and going to be honest.

So after that, my every cell inside turned as I'm not comfortable with reporting back to her which I told her. Explained about my codependency recovery and how it's not my thing to watch, control or report on another's drinking. She said if I didn't I was keeping his drinking secret, as he was less likely to lie to her if we were in contact about the amount he is drinking. That he has a lot of issues and needs everyone around him to be on same page.

Again, I know if I was going NC I wouldn't have to be doing this. So I'm wondering is she right? Or is my instinct right? Should I report back to her or allow him be an adult and responsible for himself.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sure - go ahead & purposefully enmesh yourself in his addiction. You're obviously not ready to be done yet Glen.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
In search of myself

You have a free will and a mind of your own. You only have control over yourself. It's your right to choose to have contact with your ex. Your life. Your choice. But only you are responsible for the consequences of your actions. Something to keep in mind when you meet with your ex.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ErinGoBragh View Post
You have a free will and a mind of your own. You only have control over yourself. It's your right to choose to have contact with your ex. Your life. Your choice. But only you are responsible for the consequences of your actions. Something to keep in mind when you meet with your ex.
Thank you, I am responsible for the consequences. Absolutely.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In search of myself

What motivates you to remain in the loop and be involved in any way with your ex?
Old 11-21-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ErinGoBragh View Post
What motivates you to remain in the loop and be involved in any way with your ex?
Strong emotions keep me connected. I'll be honest I realise even after meeting her that it does sound like a potentially messy situation to get back into but as someone has stated perhaps I'm sick myself if I am even contemplating it. Hard not to when there's love involved.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
Should I report back to her or allow him be an adult and responsible for himself.
Keeping his drinking secret? What is this, a really slow intervention? You are not his keeper. If the two of your work on this together you might just enable him to death.

Remember you don't "allow" him to do anything, he makes his own choices. If you respect that, the answer is obvious.

I am glad you are being honest but you know there will be some push-back. Understand that people just want what is best for you.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
Strong emotions keep me connected. I'll be honest I realise even after meeting her that it does sound like a potentially messy situation to get back into but as someone has stated perhaps I'm sick myself if I am even contemplating it. Hard not to when there's love involved.
Codependency / Anxious Attachment / Inverse Narcissism -- definitely a sickness. I speak as one who has absolutely been there myself, so I am not singling you out as someone who is sicker than I ever was.

But now, several years later, I see how crazy and not-a-candidate-for-a-relationship my ex was. And even more, I see how much harm I brought to myself and the situation through my own codependency.

It's not love that you are experiencing (or that I experienced), Glenjo, it's dysfunction. It is an addiction. We do this to run away from ourselves and our own emptiness.

There's a guy named Ross Rosenberg who posts on Youtube. He calls it Self-Love Deficit Disorder. Search for him and you might find something in his videos that reaches you. Lisa J Romano on Youtube is good too.

Two sickies don't make a wellie. You are not going to help him, no matter what you do. But this is a great opportunity to work on yourself, to grow.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Keeping his drinking secret? What is this, a really slow intervention? You are not his keeper.

Remember you don't "allow" him to do anything, he makes his own choices. If you respect that, the answer is obvious.

I am glad you are being honest but you know there will be some push-back. Understand that people just want what is best for you.
I'm expecting pushback and totally know people mean well, won't take anything personally ( a codependent trait). Yes the answer is obvious.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Needabreak View Post
Codependency / Anxious Attachment / Inverse Narcissism -- definitely a sickness. I speak as one who has absolutely been there myself, so I am not singling you out as someone who is sicker than I ever was.

But now, several years later, I see how crazy and not-a-candidate-for-a-relationship my ex was. And even more, I see how much harm I brought to myself and the situation through my own codependency.

It's not love that you are experiencing (or that I experienced), Glenjo, it's dysfunction. It is an addiction. We do this to run away from ourselves and our own emptiness.

There's a guy named Ross Rosenberg who posts on Youtube. He calls it Self-Love Deficit Disorder. Search for him and you might find something in his videos that reaches you. Lisa J Romano on Youtube is good too.

Two sickies don't make a wellie. You are not going to help him, no matter what you do. But this is a great opportunity to work on yourself, to grow.
Thanks I've watched some of their videos over the last months, really good stuff. I actually don't want to help him. At all. I can't. I have learned enough about codepency over last few months to know that. I suppose I'm curious to see how he is, what his apology is like (said he wants to) etc. I do not want to help/fix/ or baby him. His cousin is doing enough of that for everyone. I take it on board though that there probably is dysfunction here.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Strong emotions aren’t always something we have to act upon. Allowing ourselves to be at their mercy is ultimately dysfunctional and harmful. Whatever happens next—now, three days from now, three months or years from now, we’ll be here.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glenjo,

Something I’ve learned (the hard way) is that many bad situations in my life were perpetuated by me “feeling” my way through them, often disregarding my own common sense/objective view. I have found that it takes me months for my heart to catch up with what my brain knows to be a bad idea. After time passes and I get away from the intensity, my emotions catch up with the reality of the situation and I can accept the (painful) right choice.

I now choose to remove myself from negative situations knowing that objectivity will follow after a period of “white knuckling”.

I’ve also set a standard...would I be comfortable honestly sharing the reality of this relationship with a friend, or would I sugar coat it knowing that they would think I was bonkers for staying enmeshed?

In the end, you must live your life as you see fit...just be careful and listen to what your head/common sense/sense of self-preservation/future self is telling you as well. Sometimes “feelings” fail us.

-bora
Old 11-21-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
Strong emotions aren’t always something we have to act upon. Allowing ourselves to be at their mercy is ultimately dysfunctional and harmful. Whatever happens next—now, three days from now, three months or years from now, we’ll be here.
Thank you
Old 11-21-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by boreas View Post
Glenjo,

Something I’ve learned (the hard way) is that many bad situations in my life were perpetuated by me “feeling” my way through them, often disregarding my own common sense/objective view. I have found that it takes me months for my heart to catch up with what my brain knows to be a bad idea. After time passes and I get away from the intensity, my emotions catch up with the reality of the situation and I can accept the (painful) right choice.

I now choose to remove myself from negative situations knowing that objectivity will follow after a period of “white knuckling”.

I’ve also set a standard...would I be comfortable honestly sharing the reality of this relationship with a friend, or would I sugar coat it knowing that they would think I was bonkers for staying enmeshed?

In the end, you must live your life as you see fit...just be careful and listen to what your head/common sense/sense of self-preservation/future self is telling you as well. Sometimes “feelings” fail us.

-bora
Thanks. I have told a friend and she has said to keep my guard up and protect myself. To meet him but not to meet regularly, keep my own life etc. Yes I think I have to or choose to for myself, it will be my way of learning one way or another.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

One more quick thought. Sounds like the cousin could quickly become another source of unwanted drama in your life. If I were in your shoes, no matter what you choose to do about ex I would try to maintain some space with his family. Sounds like the last thing you need is her ringing you each time he is non-compliant (or compliant) with whatever recovery she is trying to construct for him.

-bora
Old 11-21-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by boreas View Post
One more quick thought. Sounds like the cousin could quickly become another source of unwanted drama in your life. If I were in your shoes, no matter what you choose to do about ex I would try to maintain some space with his family. Sounds like the last thing you need is her ringing you each time he is non-compliant (or compliant) with whatever recovery she is trying to construct for him.

-bora
Thank you that's exactly what I was thinking actually. It's almost like she wants some backup. She wants to get me in a place where if he dissappears or they have an arguement or whatever, she can contact me to offload or vent. I don't have anything in common with her, and don't want that stress in my life. Despite what she thinks, he is an adult.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Apparently he is drinking still but weening himself off it. He had 4 bottles of wine on Saturday
Four bottles of wine in a day is weening off??

She already knows that. What possible difference can it make if she knows precisely what he drinks when he's with you?

Don't report back to the cousin. She *lives* with him, yes? She, and he, can speak for themselves. If he lies to her, then he does. Up to her how she handles it. It's between them.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
Four bottles of wine in a day is weening off??

She already knows that. What possible difference can it make if she knows precisely what he drinks when he's with you?

Don't report back to the cousin. She *lives* with him, yes? She, and he, can speak for themselves. If he lies to her, then he does. Up to her how she handles it. It's between them.
My thoughts exactly, what difference does it make, when she is buying him wine EVERY day since he's been here. She is a controller so feels she needs to control his whole life. I know this will sound weird, but I think he is almost like a replacement partner for her. He told me before, she's lonely and insecure and would do anything to have him stay there! She's doing it all over again.

I won't be reporting back.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Strong emotions keep me connected.
Alcoholics run away from their emotions and codependents allow them to become their unhealthy beacon.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Alcoholics run away from their emotions and codependents allow them to become their unhealthy beacon.
Never heard that before. Makes sense