Brandy

Old 11-15-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brandy

So l got home to a lovely meal tonight, AH is a really good mood (totally different from last nights silence/sulkiness).
Halfway through dinner he says 'well..just to be open and honest with you..I've bought a bottle of brandy and its in the cupboard' l just carried on eating with no reaction. This is a huge step forward for me as a few weeks ago l would have immediately felt sick and tense but tonight l continued to enjoy my food.

Later, l was popping out to a friends house and just as l was leaving he stood up and said ' i think lm going to have a...' before he could finish the sentence l closed the door behind me and left him to it. He was simply waiting to be alone and l gave him his solitude.

Strangely tonight l feel ok. And lm sure by now he will be feeling ok too. Going back home soon...and straight to bed.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It almost sounds like he mentions alcohol to get a rise out of you. It has always worked in the past. It sounds like he enjoys needling you. That is cruel.

Good on you for not reacting. When they stop getting a reaction, they usually stop the needling.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, openness and honesty is just so awesome, right? /sarcasm/

It sounds like you handled things really well. He told you he was going to drink, you went on with your life anyway and left the responsibility for his drinking in his hands, where it belongs.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
It almost sounds like he mentions alcohol to get a rise out of you. It has always worked in the past. It sounds like he enjoys needling you. That is cruel.

Good on you for not reacting. When they stop getting a reaction, they usually stop the needling.
l think it was more about him reassuring me that he is drinking 'out in the open' rather than sneaking it. l dont think he was trying to get a reaction.

lm proud of myself for keeping my calm.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 View Post
Wow, openness and honesty is just so awesome, right? /sarcasm/

It sounds like you handled things really well. He told you he was going to drink, you went on with your life anyway and left the responsibility for his drinking in his hands, where it belongs.
Yes...its his life his business 🙂
Old 11-15-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am not so naive now that l believe he is only drinking openly and honestly. I also know why his mood shifted from closed down barely speaking last night to jolly, upbeat and 'normal' tonight.

Its a nice big bottle...

l don't know why i feel so calm about it tonight? Is there a turning point? Or am l just letting go of any hope of the life l wanted with him.

He maybe thinks l didnt react because lm scared of more arguing especially after a week or so ago when we had world war three when l told him the reasons why l had refused to buy him brandy from the supermarket earlier that day.
l feel l didn't react tonight because l simply couldn't be bothered and because Im exhausted with the whole sorry situation.

When l got back from my friends, he was in bed. He had left his empty glass on display on the table, just look at how open and honest he is being...
Old 11-15-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, I'm sure you've read a lot about detaching here and there is that method, it kind of forces the separation from the addiction of the other person - and to some degree the person/relationship as well.

I think what you are experiencing is a natural detachment.

If someone is hurting you and you aren't detaching from that, mentally if not physically, that is a problem. Of course there is the flipside, detachment can rarely be laser focused, you also end up detaching from the other person and the relationship with them (to what degree is an individual thing of course).
Old 11-15-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

awal….I am proud of you being so calm....that is a giant improvement over a few weeks ago! I don't think he was trying to hurt you, either.....I think it is probably in response to the fact that you made a big deal out of him being "open and honest" about his drinking....that it is not the drinking that bothers you...it is the hiding it....

I think it is good that you are investing time in your own friends and activities, rather than hanging around a depressive grumpy pants....
Old 11-15-2018, 10:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
awal….I am proud of you being so calm....that is a giant improvement over a few weeks ago! I don't think he was trying to hurt you, either.....I think it is probably in response to the fact that you made a big deal out of him being "open and honest" about his drinking....that it is not the drinking that bothers you...it is the hiding it....

I think it is good that you are investing time in your own friends and activities, rather than hanging around a depressive grumpy pants....
Hi Dandylion
I don't doubt he's still hiding it 😉 this is simply his way of having an 'above board' safety net. And guess what, l am not even going to check the level of Brandy left in the bottle. What's the point? He wanted me to be someone who doesn't try to control him, so l grant him his wish. He can be happy now.
But l will never bring that stuff into the home, he can control that too.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done on detaching. Your AH will do what he will do. Is same in my home.

I detach and take care of myself.

My AH will often try and "bait" me to get a reaction. I give none. I move away.
It felt to me that my reaction would help him feel entitled or less guilty about the drunk he was about to go on. Shift the blame onto my shoulders.

My shoulders are not for others to dump on.

I found detaching got easier and easier with practise, like all new skills.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
Well done on detaching. Your AH will do what he will do. Is same in my home.

It felt to me that my reaction would help him feel entitled or less guilty about the drunk he was about to go on. Shift the blame onto my shoulders.

Yes, when you put it like that, our reactions could either be enabling in their eyes or another reason they can blame us for their drinking. I will remember this if l feel tempted to react.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you. Your strength is showing.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Awal, you've come a long way in a short time. I'm a little envious of you!!! I joined this site a year ago and I still struggle with wanting to try to change/control/"help". I'm smiling as I type this because I am just so happy for you....you handled it perfectly.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LovePeaceSushi View Post
Awal, you've come a long way in a short time. I'm a little envious of you!!! I joined this site a year ago and I still struggle with wanting to try to change/control/"help". I'm smiling as I type this because I am just so happy for you....you handled it perfectly.
thank you!
It actually felt good NOT to react. It felt like l was protecting myself (and my dog) from another round of upheaval. I hope l can cling to this strength long term because l know l'm going to need it... as we all do. I smiled last night too as l closed the door on my way out ☺
Old 11-16-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Awal, practice, practice, practice. I agree with Dandy that he was telling you because he has taken on board your words about the lying bothering you, rather than the drinking. Of course it's both, but this has got to be better than transparent lying.

Apart from the drinking, he sounds like a nice guy.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

how

[But he just ups the ante when I ignore the provocation; drags the kids into it so I will have to step in on their behalf.

QUOTE=PeacefulWater12;7056250]Well done on detaching. Your AH will do what he will do. Is same in my home.

I found detaching got easier and easier with practise, like all new skills.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-16-2018, 09:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lunchbox1 View Post
[But he just ups the ante when I ignore the provocation; drags the kids into it so I will have to step in on their behalf.
Well that's a low blow.

I'm not sure how old your kids are Lunchbox? If they are not adults all you can do is exit the location, whether that means all going in to another room or exiting the house completely.

If they are adults all you can do is exit the room.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Awal, practice, practice, practice. I agree with Dandy that he was telling you because he has taken on board your words about the lying bothering you, rather than the drinking. Of course it's both, but this has got to be better than transparent lying.

Apart from the drinking, he sounds like a nice guy.
I guess he IS trying to spare my feelings by his ''openness' but l still suspect there is lying occurring. But there is jot l can do so im trying not to think about it.
lt is, after all, his life his choice his health his responsibility.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

And l STILL haven't checked the levels in the bottle. It might have all gone for all l know. I ain't lookin!!!
Old 11-17-2018, 02:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lunchbox1 View Post

QUOTE=PeacefulWater12;7056250]Well done on detaching. Your AH will do what he will do. Is same in my home.

[/QUOTE]
When you say he ups the anti...what does he do? X