Brandy

Old 11-17-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Awal View Post
And l STILL haven't checked the levels in the bottle. It might have all gone for all l know. I ain't lookin!!!
thats awesome. ❤️ It feels like a freeing and relief, doesn't it? It's how it felt to me anyway.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clover71 View Post

thats awesome. ❤️ It feels like a freeing and relief, doesn't it? It's how it felt to me anyway.
Yes! Absolutely a relief. I don't know if this will last but l actually don't care at the moment.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yes! Absolutely a relief. I don't know if this will last but l actually don't care at the moment.
Good!

At least you have been given a glimpse of detaching if nothing else. You can be the drink police and you know how that feels or you can take care of your side of the street and you know how that feels.

You do get to choose (although yes, it can take work).

I'm glad to see you are feeling better Awal.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

So l got home to a lovely meal tonight, AH is a really good mood (totally different from last nights silence/sulkiness).
Halfway through dinner he says 'well..just to be open and honest with you..I've bought a bottle of brandy and its in the cupboard' l just carried on eating with no reaction. This is a huge step forward for me as a few weeks ago l would have immediately felt sick and tense but tonight l continued to enjoy my food.

Later, l was popping out to a friends house and just as l was leaving he stood up and said ' i think lm going to have a...' before he could finish the sentence l closed the door behind me and left him to it. He was simply waiting to be alone and l gave him his solitude.

Strangely tonight l feel ok. And lm sure by now he will be feeling ok too. Going back home soon...and straight to bed.
Great post. I feel uplifted and empowered just by reading it. Way t'go!
Old 11-17-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Bravo for you, it shows a lot of hard work on your part.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

He normally drinks after l've gone to bed. So tonight, instead of going to bed around 10-10.30, l stayed up as l was interested in a tv programme. ☺ He must have been cursing me. It got to 11.10pm and he announced he was off to bed. Lets remember this is the guy who has stayed up until after midnight.

He must have felt so p*ssed off but of course couldnt show it...brandy in the kitchen cupboard but he will not drink openly in front of me for some reason.

The maybe's are as follows;
1. He has a secret supply in his room (l haven't searched for a while)
2. He has an emergency miniature stashed up his ass (a bit of humour folks &#128514
3. He has gone to bed without a drink tonight (in which case he will be in a *mood tomorrow)

* If he is in a mood he will do his damndest to provoke an argument...BUT l will do MY damndest not to react or rise to it.

I wish l liked brandy..l would go have one for him lol.
#knowledgeispower
Old 11-18-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

As I said

He picks picks fights with the kids. That’s how he makes it worse. So I’ll HAVE to step in.

When you say he ups the anti...what does he do? X[/QUOTE]
Old 11-19-2018, 01:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lunchbox1 View Post
He picks picks fights with the kids. That’s how he makes it worse. So I’ll HAVE to step in.

When you say he ups the anti...what does he do? X

[/QUOTE]
Thankfully we don't have children around, but l can totally understand why you have to intervene when he starts on them. It must be 100 times worse to see him hurting them...we as adults can learn resilience but children shouldnt have to. X
Old 11-19-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Stepping in can mean leaving the room though. Engaging in an argument with someone who is drunk is a waste of time. You probably already know that.

Aside from being a waste of your time having children around those kinds of confrontations and arguing is really detrimental to them. They learn so many negatives. That "communication" involves raising your voice and not just that they can/should but that others can talk to them like that and that's ok.

Then they grow up and end up with someone like your Husband, who likes to pick a fight and they defend themselves and this is normal to them - and on it goes.

Are you making a plan to leave Lunchbox or do you attend Al-Anon or counselling to get help with dealing with this at all? There are tools you can use to diffuse things or at the very least, to separate yourself physically.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

great😐

Thanks I feel guilty enough already. I stay because they wouldn’t have a buffer without me and I don’t trust him to be dry on visitations. I have a therapist and have done a little Alanon

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Stepping in can mean leaving the room though. Engaging in an argument with someone who is drunk is a waste of time. You probably already know that.

Aside from being a waste of your time having children around those kinds of confrontations and arguing is really detrimental to them. They learn so many negatives. That "communication" involves raising your voice and not just that they can/should but that others can talk to them like that and that's ok.

Then they grow up and end up with someone like your Husband, who likes to pick a fight and they defend themselves and this is normal to them - and on it goes.

Are you making a plan to leave Lunchbox or do you attend Al-Anon or counselling to get help with dealing with this at all? There are tools you can use to diffuse things or at the very least, to separate yourself physically.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks I feel guilty enough already. I stay because they wouldn’t have a buffer without me and I don’t trust him to be dry on visitations. I have a therapist and have done a little Alanon

Hey Lunchbox, I didn't mean to have you feel guilty(er). There is no point in feeling guilty really, the truth is living with an alcoholic is detrimental to all, you already know this. In particular children.

I said what I said because I grew up in that type of household. My Father was an alcoholic that never sought recovery, my parents did divorce when I was a teenager. I learned to defend myself, not that I ever confronted my Father, as a child, but I learned about arguing and about how to communicate that way. I learned, to have a defense around me at all times. In some ways that has served me well, in others, not so much.

I then went on a few years later to get married to - someone who was abusive and I didn't think that was odd at all (at the time, eventually I divorced him). I don't blame anyone for this, it happened, it's over, but the fact that I didn't go running for the hills - well, although I was very young, not finding it incredibly odd is - well you get the idea.

There are things/safeguards that can be built in to a child care order that would require him to be sober during visitation (like soberlink for instance), so if you are pondering a separation it would be a great idea to visit a lawyer perhaps. Perhaps a good idea anyway as at least you would know where you stand and what your options are?

You are not powerless, there is help and support for you (including us), do you have a plan?

If nothing else you need a plan to keep yourself and your kiddies safe. You are not his emotional punching bag and neither are they. You may not be prepared to walk out but you can certainly be prepared to walk out temporarily or exit to a room and lock the door. You don't have to listen to anyone berate you ever. You are worthy of respect and kindness.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Lunchbox. I am so sorry you are going through this. I completely understand your plight. It's absolutely the most frustrating thing to feel like you are put between a rock and a hard place when you want to leave, but feel you have to stay to protect your children.

I can only say that at the very least, go speak to an attorney who is familiar with the family courts in your area and see what they recommend.

Big hugs! No spreading guilt here!