He rang me tonight. Not good at all!

Old 11-13-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

As a recovering alcoholic I think the worst thing you can do is continue contact with him. It will be enabling him. Getting sober is a solitary activity, he must stop drinking on his own. Sounds tough, but we all have to do this.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
I believe tradition 3 of AA is…….the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking.

I’m sure many people show up to AA intoxicated just as I am sure that those same people can’t take in what is being said or remotely understand it. Usually those people don’t stick around for very long.
Yes I'm sure they do. It's classic looking outside of himself for the answer but it's his life . He has to do it. His parents spent 32,000 in rehab fees over last few months. Just shows no matter how much money you throw at a situation can't cure addiction.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
As a recovering alcoholic I think the worst thing you can do is continue contact with him. It will be enabling him. Getting sober is a solitary activity, he must stop drinking on his own. Sounds tough, but we all have to do this.
Yes I'm well aware he has to do it on his own. I'm in no way thinking I can save or rescue him. I'm a Codependent in recovery.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Isn’t that what’s called an oxymoron.

Don’t buy any stock in his words it’s a very bad investment.
I know. He's deluded. Has a plan on how to detox himself aswell, while living with his cousin. I don't put stock in his words anymore. On plus side I really enjoyed my yoga tonight.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

We've been on this board together a long time Genjo so I'll distill my post down to this-- No Contact.

C-
Old 11-13-2018, 06:56 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Yoga is excellent isn't it?
Old 11-14-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

His parents spent 32,000 in rehab fees over last few months.
His parents spent cash value you have spent emotional value, neither has had any impact on the addict. Big lessons learned I hope.

Now is the time for you to stop the emotional hemorrhage this person causes you and to come up with a positive plan for yourself on how to handle this situation moving forward.

Odds are his living situation with his cousin is not going to last that’s a given. And since you are in the immediate area you will become his next target if you do not enforce your boundaries now with the no contact.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

His parents spent cash value you have spent emotional value, neither has had any impact on the addict. Big lessons learned I hope.

Now is the time for you to stop the emotional hemorrhage this person causes you and to come up with a positive plan for yourself on how to handle this situation moving forward.

Odds are his living situation with his cousin is not going to last that’s a given. And since you are in the immediate area you will become his next target if you do not enforce your boundaries now with the no contact.
That's very true. I have a feeling that won't last. I am already expending too much energy on this. I received a text from his cousin and him asking me out to theirs this weekend. Finding it hard to say no but I will come up with an excuse. Keeping up my journaling and exercise and trying to switch off but it's challenging. I can see how easy after all my hard work, which by the way is so beneficial right now, to be hooked in. The old what ifs are popping up, what if he's different etc, I'm curious but fearful.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Yoga is excellent isn't it?
Yes I love it. Really love the feeling after it.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
but I will come up with an excuse.
A simple, " No thank you, I have plans" should suffice.... doesn't even matter if that plan is junking out the hall closet ..... you do not need to J.A.D.E.

You are doing good, stay strong!
Old 11-14-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SmallButMighty View Post
A simple, " No thank you, I have plans" should suffice.... doesn't even matter if that plan is junking out the hall closet ..... you do not need to J.A.D.E.

You are doing good, stay strong!
Yes I'll use that, don't need to explain further than that.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I can see how easy after all my hard work, which by the way is so beneficial right now, to be hooked in.
I say this with gentleness and kindness, you never un-hooked yourself from this.

I received a text from his cousin and him asking me out to theirs this weekend. Finding it hard to say no but I will come up with an excuse.
See, very much still hooked in.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I say this with gentleness and kindness, you never un-hooked yourself from this.

See, very much still hooked in.
So to unhook I just block their numbers? End of.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

so to unhook i just block their numbers? End of.
yes
Old 11-14-2018, 01:56 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

yes
Old 11-14-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

You can do this! Stay strong!