The concept of "take what you like and leave the rest"

Old 11-11-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

The concept of "take what you like and leave the rest"

Learning this this practice in Al-anon meetings, Al-anon business meetings and applying it in other areas of my life has been amazing.

It allows me easier focus and happiness.

I trust the healing process that whatever I need will keep coming back to me as I'm taking new actions. I learn quickly as I observe my healthy instincts and life going well.

There is another concept that also means a lot to me: one thing wrong is enough to scrap it. A simple example is a pair of jeans I love that are too short.

Today I'm waffling between going to a church I visited last week or allowing my spiritual practice be one of quiet meditation in a yoga studio. I greatly enjoy the very different energy of both.

The pastor at the church service last week expressed a few things I do not agree with. Two are completely at odds with my core values. The rest of the experience was really good.

Yoga class yesterday became a spiritual experience for me in a new way. The simple ease, beauty and energy of a studio I was new to along with an teacher who added the same elements.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like that too. I use it in all areas of my life. Thanks for your post, Mango.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi PeacefulWater,

You're welcome.

This is a wonderful day. I believe each one is, and that we have the capability, resources and inner guidance that can lead us to seeing, allowing and enjoying good.

I let go of all ideas for today, decided to have breakfast and watch tv -- and soon was hit with the inspired instinct to go to church. The same one as last week. I enjoyed meeting more people, having tea, singing and two great messages played on the big screens. It's a small church with a beautiful faith and energy. I believe in the great abundance of life. The messages of freedom, hope, people of many faiths working together and an extraordinary support of all children were absolutely things that spoke to my heart.

Then the same pastor spoke again this week and I walked out when I couldn't stay any longer. Thanks to meditation, mindfulness and other recovery skills, I had my inner peace and kindness to myself in this.

One day at a time. I'm hanging out in my car, enjoying the sunshine, being in a field with other vehicles (the parking lots are full) and drinking my chai tea. I may go back in. I might leave soon. Pray, wait, enjoy this place and moment thoroughly.

I'm planning on yoga this evening.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am sorry that you disagree with the preacher. That's a shame b/c it sounds like the rest of the experience was a good one.

I really enjoy hearing of the things you are doing for self care. It's motivating to me. I know I need to take care of myself but let it fall by the wayside so much b/c I get so busy being a single mom , work, all that type of stuff. I have worked on it more this year than any other time in my life, so I am making progress. It's nice to hear that other people can tell as I have had many people close to me tell me how much I have changed (for the better) this year. Panic attacks are gone, which is a HUGE relief.

Anyways...thank you Mango!
Old 11-13-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Interesting...

these parts stood out to me--

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
Learning this this practice in Al-anon meetings, Al-anon business meetings and applying it in other areas of my life has been amazing.

It allows me easier focus and happiness.

I trust the healing process that whatever I need will keep coming back to me as I'm taking new actions. I learn quickly as I observe my healthy instincts and life going well.

There is another concept that also means a lot to me: one thing wrong is enough to scrap it. A simple example is a pair of jeans I love that are too short.

Today I'm waffling between going to a church I visited last week or allowing my spiritual practice be one of quiet meditation in a yoga studio. I greatly enjoy the very different energy of both.

The pastor at the church service last week expressed a few things I do not agree with. Two are completely at odds with my core values. The rest of the experience was really good.

Yoga class yesterday became a spiritual experience for me in a new way. The simple ease, beauty and energy of a studio I was new to along with an teacher who added the same elements.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

Thank you, hopeful and Cyranoak.

More is always revealed, and God/Great Spirit can be found anywhere. I enjoyed church.

I'm enjoying today, too, walking closely with my faith in other ways. Really getting in touch with my core values.

Al-anon is the same way. Trusting when I'm there and trusting when I'm not.

Being able to find kindness, grace and joy is a learned habit for me, especially in letting go and letting God.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post

The pastor at the church service last week expressed a few things I do not agree with. Two are completely at odds with my core values.
does what the pastor expressed go with what the bible says?
maybe you can talk with him about it- most pastors are more than happy to talk things through.
ive had times i wasnt too happy hearing what my pastor had said. that all had to do with him being right and i had to change some things.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi tomsteve,

Thank you for the thought.

I'm spending the day enjoying each moment as is comes. Meditating and following the path God's guiding me on.

There are three pastors at this particular church and I appreciate them each. I'm simply feeling guided into a different direction right now.

#healingactions
#lifeisgood
#thankyougod
Old 11-27-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is good

Learning this this practice in Al-anon meetings, Al-anon business meetings and applying it in other areas of my life has been amazing. It allows me easier focus and happiness.

Today my focus has been on allowing more relaxation, ease and growth. On breaking family traditions. On faith in the process.

Happiness is a birthright and comes from an authentic internal space. Joy is important. Life is good.

How I teach DS11 is through guidance, modeling behaviors and healthy interactions. How I teach myself and inner child these things is in exactly these same ways.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is good

Allowing a focus and awareness of this today. Meditating. Yoga. Good healthy actions.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This slogan is one of my favorites. On the surface it lets me take ideas and concepts that I like so I can apply it to my life. More importantly, it keeps me from assuming responsibility for another persons circumstances.