Well, that went poorly . . .

Old 11-14-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MCESaint View Post
Well, first - thanks for asking!!

As for the update -- we had a court date scheduled for yesterday. It appears that she hired her own lawyer and he requested a continuance.

MY lawyer and I (yes, I hired my own lawyer for the CPO) objected to the continuance (I usually don't do that, but since this was an ex parte order, I instructed my lawyer to object). The Court granted the continuance anyway (which I knew that it would), but made it clear that the temporary order remains in effect.

Next court date is 11/30.

So, to recap: AW and her lawyer have to live with the fact that I have complete control over DS until at least 11/30. Which, I find (for them) to be an odd litigation strategy.

My guess is that the court will appoint a GAL (guardian ad litem) -- but since AW is supposedly going to a "sober living" facility and doesn't have a license to drive, I'm not sure exactly where she thinks this is going.

Meanwhile, I hope to take some time off between old job (ending this Friday) and starting new job in beginning of December.

MCE Saint.
So you did decide to go with the new job, I missed that if you posted it earlier, congratulations on that!
Old 11-14-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MCESaint View Post
Well, first - thanks for asking!!

As for the update -- we had a court date scheduled for yesterday. It appears that she hired her own lawyer and he requested a continuance.

MY lawyer and I (yes, I hired my own lawyer for the CPO) objected to the continuance (I usually don't do that, but since this was an ex parte order, I instructed my lawyer to object). The Court granted the continuance anyway (which I knew that it would), but made it clear that the temporary order remains in effect.

Next court date is 11/30.

So, to recap: AW and her lawyer have to live with the fact that I have complete control over DS until at least 11/30. Which, I find (for them) to be an odd litigation strategy.

My guess is that the court will appoint a GAL (guardian ad litem) -- but since AW is supposedly going to a "sober living" facility and doesn't have a license to drive, I'm not sure exactly where she thinks this is going.

Meanwhile, I hope to take some time off between old job (ending this Friday) and starting new job in beginning of December.

MCE Saint.
From my personal experience, her and her attny are in a hard 'up hill battle'. You have the boy,which is in his best interest. She, on the other hand, is set to move into a sober living facility(freshly out of rehab) with no license(nor job)..hmmm..I'd hate to be her lawyer and suspect once her 'funding' for him runs dry,he'll ditch his client. <-That's what happened in my custody case. My exwf had whoever believing/paying for fees,with belief that she'd score a large custody settlement because of my income,but once in court and the TRUTH about her came out.... her lawyer bailed because of "not being paid a cent" or something to that effect. My daughter just turned 23 and I've had custody since she was 4! That was my initial concern with your boy being in someone else's care instead of yours(especially her family)..Sucks that you both have to go through this,but life for all involved will be better in the end.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I got so used to trying to mitigate/manage my ex's emotions and reactions to things that it took me until some time after our relationship ended to really understand that it wasn't possible. He was going to say and do and believe things that were contradictory and outlandish. The only thing I needed to do was limit contact to bare bones communication about DS and ignore the nonsense (which was most of it).