Alcohol everywhere

Old 11-09-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

MCESaint…….Aw Shucks, I was just trying to have a little chuckle, here.....
Old 11-09-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I decided I didn't want to have to defend my last post. That's why I deleted it.

It ain't worth the time it would take.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
MCESaint…….Aw Shucks, I was just trying to have a little chuckle, here.....
And that is fine Carrie . . . er, Dandylion.

But, on a more serious note, if we accept that alcoholism IS a disease - and that it also has co-morbidities with mental health issues (bi-polarism, etc.), requires the patient to engage in behaviorial modification, may include the patient using properly prescription drugs (naltrexone, Vivitrol, etc.) -- and still, then, we haven't *cured* the patient of his/her disease -- we've just *helped* the patient live with it.

AND if the patient - when he/she is in his/her "right" and "sober" mind - is willing to voluntarily place himself or herself on a "do not sell list" in order to *reduce* the chances of relapses (which, statistically, we know occur) ---

--- then I'm not sure why society - in its role as "responsible neighbors" - can't lend a small, minimally invasive and low cost assist in helping the patient with his/her disease?? Compared to the cost of incarcerating addicts, the loss of job time, the deaths from drunk driving by alcohol abusers -- my proposal is not even an eyedropper in a bucket of water sitting on an aircraft carrier in the middle of the Pacific.

And it stuns me that people who consider themselves "friends and family" of alcoholics are the first people to "pooh-pooh" this small idea/proposal/notion OR to misclassify it as a type of "prohibition."

Heck, I enjoy a nice Pilsner or Lager or Red Zinfandel from time to time. And I certainly don't want to give that up. But, I don't have a problem with alcohol (other than having a spouse who has a problem with it). Being asked to produce my ID (and letting it be swiped) - at my age - can be smugly satisfying (you mean, I look under 40 y.o.??).

And again, I agree, it's not a cure all. It won't stop *everyone* from relapsing.

But, it may help a few.

Why make waiting around for a perfect idea the enemy of a decent or good idea??

MCE Saint
Old 11-09-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I haven't read the whole thread back but I don't see anyone relating your suggestion to prohibition, the thread took another track that again, wasn't even a suggestion that there should be prohibition.

Anyway, I get the "logic" of your idea, I'm just not in agreement and I will tell you why.

If we accept that alcoholism is a mental illness and in the sober phase the alcoholic agrees, etc etc. Got it!

Now, how about other people. What if bi-polar people who have a history of going off of their medication sign up for something similar. What if we scan a card every-time someone enters, I don't know, the DMV and supermarkets? Bi-polar people, on the registry must then click on a button that says they have taken their medication today. A nice reminder from your "responsible neighbours".

Now that may seem far out to you but it's no different. We will be policing one group, why not another? Where exactly do we draw the line?

Also what makes you think it's cheap to have a card swipe at every establishment that sells alcohol? Every restaurant, liquor store, bar, zoo, supermarket, etc etc.

In Ontario, where ID must be given to purchase marijuana products (online from the government), which has only been in place a couple of weeks, there has already been a security breach and the delivery data from 4500 customers was hacked in to:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4639742/o...a-post-hacked/

I don't want that to be my information. Do I trust them to have that information in a database, I absolutely do not.

I am not naive, I know the government knows where I am, hell, google knows where I am and probably that I'm typing this right now, but the less exposure the better in my opinion.

Furthermore, I strongly believe in personal accountability.

I also believe in freedom.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I totally agree with you. I have pretty much Stopped drinking myself to support my AW and because I see the stupidity in it all. I have lost weight and am trying to lower my blood sugar as well. Alcohol is constantly offered to us. Also do you notice that people who shun all manner of food think alcohol is fine? Although I don’t condem people for drinking, I find that strange as it really is a poison. The drunk driving menace is just another reason I abstain.