SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Codependency...A star is born? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/433326-codependency-star-born.html)

Glenjo99 10-20-2018 07:18 AM

Codependency...A star is born?

Just watched an interview with Lady Gaga about her new film. She said it addresses many topics including Codependency!

Haven't seen it yet, a friend advised me not to go for a long time yet. Anyone else seen it and see the Codependent issues she mentioned?

trailmix 10-20-2018 09:07 AM

Have seen another version of this movie. Unless you are in the mood for a tragic love story, your friends are right, you don't want to see it right now.

As for the co-dependency angle, I can't remember it well enough to know but the relationship was surely dysfunctional!

Mango212 10-20-2018 11:08 AM

Synopsis:

"A Star Is Born is the fourth big-screen take on a tragic love story centered around the pitfalls of substance abuse and show business. Starring Bradley Cooper (making his directorial debut) as a stadium-filling rock star and Lady Gaga as the struggling singer he discovers and falls for, this version, like its predecessors, revolves around alcoholism and addiction, so there's lots of drinking and drug use."

"Despite the uplifting trailers and crowd-pleasing qualities this has, it’s actually really depressing, almost heartbreaking. After a pleasing first act it gets very sad and difficult, dealing with themes such as suicide, depression, addiction and the cost of fame in a way that doesn’t shy away. Other problematic content includes frank depictions of sex and frequent coarse language (mostly unnecessary)."

Mango212 10-20-2018 11:13 AM

"The 1954 version of A Star Is Born is an award-winning musical with a serious story about alcoholism at its core. While the film depicts the wondrous rise to stardom of a talented, earnest young woman, it also shows the decline and ultimate tragedy of her self-destructive husband and mentor."

A review on this much different version also says, great musical/heavy theme. Judy Garland starred in this one. Even this version is depressing to me.

Leelee168 10-20-2018 03:18 PM

I want to see this, but like you, have been warned that it’s probably not a good idea given the focus on the addiction. But Bradley Cooper...I feel like I’m going to go anyway and be depressed.

dawnrising 10-20-2018 06:40 PM

Don't see this until you are ready.I went in expecting a love story, an epic story at that as this movie has been made several times. I should have read the synopsis but I didn't want to ruin it. UUUGGGHHH - Its depressing and sad, not uplifting at all. I have never been so unattracted to Bradley Cooper in my life. Save yourselves :scorebad

Glenjo99 10-20-2018 10:56 PM

Ok definitely not going to see it for at least a year.

Leelee168 10-21-2018 02:26 PM

I went to see it today. Bradley Cooper nails the alcoholic. It might have been a better experience if I hadn’t lived so much of what I saw on screen. At the end, everyone else is crying and I’m like “alcoholics have no remorse.” I walked out half sick to my stomach.

Eauchiche 10-22-2018 08:04 AM

Thanks to ALL you folks for this information.

I will not be seeing that film at any time in the future.