Wow I really suck

Old 10-18-2018, 10:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow I really suck

Hi... haven't been on for awhile.. don't know how much time has passed. I have been through all of it with my ex. Now, I thought I was in the clear with my new boyfriend. We've been together for 9 months. Now I am seeing the same pattern. I can't put my finger on it, but I am seeing some red flags. Party favors, right? But, again I am fully in meshed. Now his 2 boys and my 2 boys are like brothers. How do I stop this cycle? My god.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

caretaker......are you living with him?
Old 10-19-2018, 12:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Party favours?
Old 10-19-2018, 02:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
Party favours?
I think that means that red flags are being collected like party favors? Like the little umbrellas you put in some drinks...
Old 10-19-2018, 02:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Reading your back threads you have never had any time on your own to really work on yourself and what you want out of life. The hard cold truth is unless you step back from relationships with men and learn to love yourself by yourself you will keep repeating the same old same old. There is no quick fix and yeah it's hard work, often feels unfair and can feel lonely. Better to be single then with someone like you had before tho eh?

I have been on my own 4 years. Previously to that I was separated from my exah but we had to live in the same house for 5 years of our 20 year marriage. I recently had a marriage offer and after consideration I said no. Why? I've gone from needy to independent and no longer need a man in my life. Once you are at that stage you are better able to make a considered decision about who to be with. Your kids need a stable mom. They do not need a series of part time step dads.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your responses. I just keep thinking I am ready and the come to find out that I am not. It is just so frustrating.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am NOT living with him. So at least I have that going for us.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is good

How do I stop this cycle?

Stop thinking about it and simply take a new action. Then another. And another.

"I can't think my way into right-acting, but I can act my way into right-thinking."

Examples: an appt with a therapist, calling/going to a DV help center (they could mirror back to me all kinds of things I didn't see that were going on), going to an Alanon meeting/getting a sponsor, etc

No need to have an active alcoholic in our lives to show up at Al-anon. The effects of this disease can be far-reaching and long-lasting.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Spot on advice Mango!

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
How do I stop this cycle?

Stop thinking about it and simply take a new action. Then another. And another.

"I can't think my way into right-acting, but I can act my way into right-thinking."

Examples: an appt with a therapist, calling/going to a DV help center (they could mirror back to me all kinds of things I didn't see that were going on), going to an Alanon meeting/getting a sponsor, etc

No need to have an active alcoholic in our lives to show up at Al-anon. The effects of this disease can be far-reaching and long-lasting.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

get sober you will be clear headed
Old 10-19-2018, 10:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caretaker88 View Post
Thank you for your responses. I just keep thinking I am ready and the come to find out that I am not. It is just so frustrating.
What is holding you there?
Old 10-20-2018, 12:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A nine month relationship does not obligate you to a lifetime sentence.

Sometimes the best we can do is apply logic to illogical circumstances.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Caretaker...….I agree, that the fact that you are not living with him is a plus.....because that makes everything so much more intense and complicated....especially when you have children.....

Actually, it can take several months for some of issues in a relationship to emerge....as people tend to wear their Sunday shoes in the early part of a relationship.....
Isn't that what dating is for....? To find out what a person is really like, before m aking a permanent commitment.....

At least, you are recognizing the red flags...….

I was a single parent for several years, with 3 children. I am so grateful that I never lived with anyone...….until I was ready to get married, again.....
I don't know what the ages of your children are....but...children come to know what "dating" is.....and, what it isn't.....
They will know that you and they are the actual, permanent "Family".
Old 10-20-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I second that...

...as somebody who had two step-fathers and three long term "uncles," it was very hard for me. I love my mother very much and she did her absolute best for me in all ways, but she did not know how hard it was for me (just a boy whose father had left for another woman). I imagine, though we've not talked about it, she was looking for a good father for me who at least was not a controlling piece of ****.

By the time I was 13 years old I'd had five different men come into and then leave my life. There are no guarantees, but if my mother had just taken whatever time was necessary to work on herself and figure out why she was choosing the men she was choosing, and how to change that, perhaps things would have been better. And perhaps I would not have had to break up with five "fathers" through no choice of my own.

Good luck to the OP and all of you parents out there-- I know it isn't easy.

Originally Posted by Ladybird579 View Post
Reading your back threads you have never had any time on your own to really work on yourself and what you want out of life. The hard cold truth is unless you step back from relationships with men and learn to love yourself by yourself you will keep repeating the same old same old. There is no quick fix and yeah it's hard work, often feels unfair and can feel lonely. Better to be single then with someone like you had before tho eh?

I have been on my own 4 years. Previously to that I was separated from my exah but we had to live in the same house for 5 years of our 20 year marriage. I recently had a marriage offer and after consideration I said no. Why? I've gone from needy to independent and no longer need a man in my life. Once you are at that stage you are better able to make a considered decision about who to be with. Your kids need a stable mom. They do not need a series of part time step dads.