Off topic

Old 10-11-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Off topic

I lost my temper at work.

I made an epic mistake. I openly admit it. I corrected the error and brought it to my boss's attention. I do not hide things like that. It cost the company some money but I also filed a request to get the penalties waived.

While I was out of the office the admin hired someone without getting all the required paperwork to certify government regulated credentials. I have repeatedly said that we should stop allowing people to work without verification due to the fact that in addition to the company being liable, I would be also if something happened. I discovered that the person was was not properly credentialed and already working in the field. I advised the supervisor to pull the employee and let them know what they needed to do to get their credentials corrected.

The HR manager doesn't like me much. Not sure why, don't really care. I don't need people at work to like me. Just have to work with them. Since I didn't deal with her much it wasn't an issue.

Apparently, the admin decided to tell her that I hired someone and allowed them to work without making sure they had the required credentials. I imagine she did this to save her job.

She tried to write me up for both infractions. I told her I would accept a write up for the first problem as it was completely my fault. I would not accept a write for the hiring mishap as I did not hire the guy. All she had to do was look to see who administered the drug test. It wasn't me.

I told her I wouldn't sign it until the hiring issue was removed. I told her that this wasn't the first time I could have been in serious trouble with the law because of the decisions of other employees. The owner constantly undermined my authority and made all sorts of stupid decisions that put the company out of compliance which also made me liable. If that guy had an accident and someone died I could go to jail. The situation escalated. Things were said. I'm sure it escalated because I attacked the owner. Who is a moron and her dad. (I did not tell her he's a moron but he is)

She told me if I didn't sign the write I was fired. So I said Eff this and packed my things and walked out.

I don't know why I did that.

I was already looking for another job anyway and I'm waiting to hear back from 3 interviews I've already had, I had one tuesday and one today. I also have 3 lined up for next week. I'm sure I'll find something soon. In the meantime I increased my hours at my part time job.

AH is surprisingly being supportive. and not angry sober. Probably because he's been working out a lot.

anyway just wanted to vent I guess.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, that's upsetting! Sorry that happened to you. There seems to always be one or two jerks at every work place, law of averages I guess.

You stood your ground though, good for you. Sounds like you have also hit the ground running with your job hunt. Perhaps this is just the situation you needed to get you out the door and hopefully in to a better environment.

When you interview, remember you are interviewing them as well.

Please keep us updated.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

alwayscovering…...I can sure relate to your experience. It has happened to me, a couple of times, in my work life. in both cases, it had become apparent to me that there were some immoral/illegal things going on, behind the scenes, directed by the owners of the organizations. As I began to ask questions...and get close to what was really going on...I came in direct conflict with the owners.....To make a long story short...my employment ended in confrontation (by me)...and I got shouted at--and, I shouted right back. Actually, in both cases, I actually resigned, on the spot--before I was fired.

In one case, the organization was investigated by the Internal Revenue Service....and, I don't know about the second one...(it should have been)…

The first situation...I had no other job lined up, and financial responsibilities. However, the leaving the job caused me to meet the greatest love of my life. Talk about the proverbial silver lining!

The second situation...the leaving allowed me to search for and find a much better and more satisfying job.
Both situations felt like a personal and moral crisis, at the time...because they were! Sometimes, in life, when you find yourself out on a limb...you just have to fly by the seat of your pants...and, you never, ever know what is around the corner.....
More than a couple of times, the best things in my life followed a dark time.....

Don't spend too much time beating up on yourself....just lick the wounds and proceed forward....
Old 10-12-2018, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That would backfire on me if it was here cos they insist on references from the last person you worked for in the UK so I hope it pans out OK for you. xx
Old 10-12-2018, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise! I can certainly understand your frustration. I am a very "by the book" person and it drives me crazy when the rules aren't followed. I hope you find a new (BETTER!) job soon!!!