and a bonus! He has an attitude

Old 10-01-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

and a bonus! He has an attitude

*sigh* Waaaaaay back in February we decided to buy a car for my stepson. instead AH buys a project car and tells me 16 year old gets the brand new car. I'm not happy with this, we argue. I give up. Whatever. I figure he'll wreck it and we'll be paying for a car no one can drive because I'm not going to have it fixed if that happens.

Now his ridiculous project car isn't working right and he's mad at me as if this is MY fault. NO I wanted to buy an older model car (maybe 2006-2008) for SS to drive. HEEEEEEEE bought this ridiculous 2002 SUV project thing.

I told him it was not in the budget to get it fixed until the end of the month. (We really just need to buy the parts-AH can fix it but they are super expensive parts) That he'll have to drive his car and I'll have to take SS to school (I have to drive over there every morning anyway) He throws a fit about taking the car from his son. I tell him "I'm sorry but the people who make the money that pay for the car and the insurance for everyone need to be able to get to the place that pays them the money over teenager driving to school" Now I'm being a b*tch? I just hung up. I'm not dealing with his attitude today. He better watch it, I'm feeling awfully stabby.

On another note: Has anyone else seen unbroken the path to redemption? I cried through the whole damn thing.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

alwayscovering…..I don't blame you for being irritated....
Old 10-01-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yea I'm just griping sorry

I'm not saying had we gone with the car I wanted to go with that it would have never broken down. I just think it would have been less likely as it would have gone through an inspection and repair (it was at a dealership) and he bought this thing off Facebook marketplace.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcoholic reasoning at its finest. Sigh.
Originally Posted by alwayscovering View Post
Yea I'm just griping sorry

I'm not saying had we gone with the car I wanted to go with that it would have never broken down. I just think it would have been less likely as it would have gone through an inspection and repair (it was at a dealership) and he bought this thing off Facebook marketplace.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it's not about the car......
Old 10-02-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had to look up what a project car was and the first website I clicked on's graphic was a pile of money, indicating it was an expensive hobby....so yes, I totally get why you are annoyed! While your AH may have thought this was a great idea and a potential bonding experience, the reality is that those are usually just that - ideas. The alcohol has a funny way of preventing dreams and ideas from blossoming into fruition.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Agree...

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
it's not about the car......
Old 10-02-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No it's not about the car. I get so tired of him asking me for advice on something or us having a discussion about something, him going against what I've said or what we agree on and wanting to get angry at me when it blows up in his face. That's why I hung up on him. I probably could get the damn thing fixed but I don't feel like I should have to max out my credit cards to get this thing repaired. I'm working a second job to put myself and the kids in a better financial position not to fix his bad choices.

He's decided to stay home today and replace the fuel filter and spark plugs. Translation: I'm going to sit home all day and drink.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alwayscovering View Post
He's decided to stay home today and replace the fuel filter and spark plugs. Translation: I'm going to sit home all day and drink.
You know alwayscovering, when I read this post I get this visual of someone pulling a wagon alone with everyone else riding in the back.

Wouldn't it be great if someone was helping you pull that wagon.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That is annoying, and typical of something my stepson would do--make a bad decision and then blame everyone else when it goes haywire!

Originally Posted by alwayscovering
I'm working a second job to put myself and the kids in a better financial position not to fix his bad choices.
This...I hope you won't saddle yourself with credit card debt just to make it "all better" for him. His circus, his monkeys, you might say. My ex husband left me with a huge pile of credit card debt--I say left me, but I allowed it to happen. It took me 6 years to finally pay it all off. I would hate to see that happen to you!
Old 10-03-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This sounds like my husband. He has an expensive hobby also and hates to hear the word NO when it comes to the expenses. He's like a two year old that can't look into the future.

These are the times I stay focused on myself. I tell him where we stand in the finances so he doesn't just hear the words "Your way is not a good idea". He has to come to that thought (Though it's my belief, I won't get the credit). I get blamed for it too but I stay focused on my truth. As long as I stay on this merry go round I will get more of the same.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hearthealth View Post
This sounds like my husband. He has an expensive hobby also and hates to hear the word NO when it comes to the expenses. He's like a two year old that can't look into the future.

These are the times I stay focused on myself. I tell him where we stand in the finances so he doesn't just hear the words "Your way is not a good idea". He has to come to that thought (Though it's my belief, I won't get the credit). I get blamed for it too but I stay focused on my truth. As long as I stay on this merry go round I will get more of the same.
I just told him the money isn't there. He already had the things he needed to do the general tune up. He's a mechanic he tends to keep those kinds of things on hand and as it turns out...that's all it needed. As per usual he freaked out about nothing.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
That is annoying, and typical of something my stepson would do--make a bad decision and then blame everyone else when it goes haywire!

This...I hope you won't saddle yourself with credit card debt just to make it "all better" for him. His circus, his monkeys, you might say. My ex husband left me with a huge pile of credit card debt--I say left me, but I allowed it to happen. It took me 6 years to finally pay it all off. I would hate to see that happen to you!
Nope not a chance. I'm almost done paying off all my old medical bills and such and I have less than 300 left on my credit cards-it'll all be done by the end of this month! Happy Birthday to me! LOL

Anyway, he does not have access to my credit cards. He's not an authorized user and he doesn't know where I keep them. We went through that a few years ago where he took one of my cards out of my bag and used it to buy something, it wasn't expensive but I told him not to do it again without asking me. Found out he had saved my card and maxed it out on amazon. I was super pissed and we had a HUGE fight about it.