Getting back together with ex

Old 09-26-2018, 04:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting back together with ex

Yes we both have our addiction problems but both my husband and I were unable to adjust living apart. We both were dying without each other. We are going to start couples counseling. Finally my heart doesn’t feel broke anymore.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Freedom.....I just read your other post in Newcomers forum.....I have detoxed hundreds of alcoholics.....I want to ask you why you don't go to an inpatient detox facility....to avoid the anxiety, depression and anxiety that you "dread"?
Or, at least, visit a doctor for supervised in home detox...…
I don't understand why people suffer when there is no need to.....
Old 09-26-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

May I ask what changes have you both made? Do you not think after a few weeks/months that'll it just be more of the same from both sides?

Edit: Most couples therapist/counselors won't take on people with active addiction.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How long have you tried adjusting to being apart? These things can take a lot of time and it's normal to struggle and feel like dying. Going back to what feels "safe" can just be another quick fix like reaching for the bottle is for the alcoholic. It feels better for a short moment but leads only to increased levels of pain and struggle...
Old 09-26-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don’t have any of the answers right now. Just trying to embrace and sit with the distress while not drinking.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Freedom.....why "embrace" the distress when you could get relief by treatment from a medical person/s....?
Old 09-26-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Perhaps experiencing some pain will deter me from taking another drink in the future. I don’t want an easy way out.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’ve decided to put on hold getting back together with ex. I’ve also decided to put dating on hold.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Freedom, I think concentrating on your sobriety now is a very good and loving decision for yourself. Sending you strength and courage.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Freedom.....I think there are holes in your theory that suffering withdrawl symptoms will make you not want to drink again, in the future....I have worked with so many alcoholics and known many....and it just doesn't work that way....
After all, according to your other posts, you have suffered this way, many times...and it didn't keep you from picking up again.....
Plus....withdrawl can be dangerous and so uncomfortable that it can lead one to pick up again, just to get relief.....
Of course, you sound very stubborn and fixed in your beliefs...so, I know that you will do what you want to, any way...lol....
I am just trying to tell you that, in my experience, there is a safer and better way....
Old 09-26-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with both dandylion and SparkleKitty. It's a great decision to focus on yourself and your sobriety now and not make things more complicated by adding another person to your life, may that be your ex or a new guy.

But from my experience, sobriety shouldn't be based on avoiding another withdrawal. Avoidance and fear are exactly the things that made me want to drink, not what keeps me sober. Also it won't take long and even the worst withdrawal will be a slowly fading memory. Make sure you're safe please, that's the most important right now. You're responsible for your physical well being and if there's anything you can do to improve it, I would love for you to take that chance
Old 09-26-2018, 01:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Freedom.....I think there are holes in your theory that suffering withdrawl symptoms will make you not want to drink again, in the future....I have worked with so many alcoholics and known many....and it just doesn't work that way....
After all, according to your other posts, you have suffered this way, many times...and it didn't keep you from picking up again.....
Plus....withdrawl can be dangerous and so uncomfortable that it can lead one to pick up again, just to get relief.....
Of course, you sound very stubborn and fixed in your beliefs...so, I know that you will do what you want to, any way...lol....
I am just trying to tell you that, in my experience, there is a safer and better way....
I’m sure you’re right. I am just lazy to go to a detox or call my doctor. I’m just going to sleep the day away under my comfy blankets.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I’ve deleted all my online dating site accounts. Meeting men was just complicating my life. And I know deep down my ex isn’t good for me. I need to focus on my sobriety right now and possibly add SLAA meetings into the mix since I am always searching to be loved in whatever way.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Proud of you for that decision Freedom. My xabf has been trying to get back together with me, but honestly I don't feel we were good for eachother. Certainly he was not for me, but I also don't think it's any coincidence that he has been sober for the longest period since I've left him. He will text me from time to time and from what I have heard he has been on the wagon since the day I left. Not saying that is why, but I think I always created such a safety net for him that he never tried to stay sober. He knew I would always pick him up or that he could use my home as a landing pad.

It's time for you to be with you. And it sounds like you have realized that. You are the most important person in your life. Never forget that.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smarie78 View Post
Proud of you for that decision Freedom. My xabf has been trying to get back together with me, but honestly I don't feel we were good for eachother. Certainly he was not for me, but I also don't think it's any coincidence that he has been sober for the longest period since I've left him. He will text me from time to time and from what I have heard he has been on the wagon since the day I left. Not saying that is why, but I think I always created such a safety net for him that he never tried to stay sober. He knew I would always pick him up or that he could use my home as a landing pad.

It's time for you to be with you. And it sounds like you have realized that. You are the most important person in your life. Never forget that.
Yes, I just want a break from it all and enjoy by myself the simple things in life.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

remember, you drank when you were with your ex. there was no magic bubble surrounding you and keeping the bad things out. you could in fact be craving your using partner......an extension of plain ole cravings.

he is not the solution.
sobriety in all things IS!
Old 09-26-2018, 03:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My opinion is that its not a good idea to be making decisions while detoxing.

I also agree there is no need to suffer through detox. Ive heard it fabled that suffering can be a deterrent but I think its unlikely and more of an old school approach. I would question more the desire NOT to seek help which would put the addiction out there into the light, and place resources of help at your fingertips.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So far so good on staying sober on Day 1. I feel a huge relief deleting all of those dating apps. I was encountering a lot of negative, sketchy situations with men that was bringing me down. Also if you don’t give men what they want, they can become mean and vindictive. I feel I have a better shot at sobriety staying away from all of this since it’s a distraction. I filed for divorce from my husband about 2 months ago. He is not contesting it since I gave him more. So I think it just becomes official when we go to court in December since he did not file any response to my petition.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Successfully made it to Day 2. Feeling a lot better, especially since I’m looking to treat my sex and love addiction which should help me stay sober. I’m already reading the SLAA big book, plan on going to SLAA meetings and have already deleted all of my online dating/hookup sites. I feel a lot of relief and can now look forward to doing other things in my sobriety rather than desperately looking for my next soulmate.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congratulations on Day 2!! That's wonderful news

I hope you keep stringing those moments together to get to Day 3...

....and beyond!!!