Vivitrol shot

Old 09-19-2018, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vivitrol shot

Has anyone known anyone who got this shot for help with alcoholism? I read pros and cons. I have a loved one who is to start with this shot and the side effects scare me.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Hummingbird

I know nothing about this shot. When I first saw your post I thought you were asking about a "vitriol" shot for alcoholism...my XAH had that in spades
Old 09-19-2018, 10:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LLLisa View Post
Hi Hummingbird

I know nothing about this shot. When I first saw your post I thought you were asking about a "vitriol" shot for alcoholism...my XAH had that in spades
Yes, Vivitrol is the injection the generic name is naltrexone
Old 09-19-2018, 10:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here are a few threads where it's mentioned Hummingbird:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...truggling.html (0 logged days yet and struggling)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-together.html (Anyone tried Naltrexone and Campral together?)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-antabuse.html (Drug-Assisted Initial Sobriety (Antabuse))

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...christmas.html (six months sober with Naltrexone, Merry Christmas)
Old 09-20-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

and the side effects scare me.

well, good thing you're not the one getting the shot then!!!

every drug has "potential" side effects. but not everyone experiences all or even any of the side effects.

be glad your person is attempting to find and use ways to manage and conquer his addiction.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi hummingbird,

How are you doing?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi hummingbird, long time no talk

I worked in an outpatient rehab facility from May 2017 to May 2018. They gave out Vivitrol to anyone who wanted it, assuming that we could get their insurance company to pay for it.

Vivitrol can augment a solid recovery program for someone whose drug of choice is either alcohol or opiates. However, that's just what it is, a tool. If someone doesn't have a good recovery program to fall back on, or if they don't want to be clean in the first place, then Vivitrol will be a temporary harm reduction tool at best.

Vivitrol works by mostly blocking the effects of alcohol or opiates and generally reducing, not eliminating, cravings for them. With that being said, it does nothing to inhibit the effects of other substances or the general yearning to alter one's mind commonly experienced by addicts while getting clean. I've seen addicts on Vivitrol try various ways to get their fix, and I'll summarize them here.

1) Those who are taking Vivitrol to primarily help them stop consuming alcohol can beat the drug so to speak. People can do this by drinking so much that the enormous quantity of ethanol in their bloodstream overrides the effects of the Vivitrol. They end up drunk, and then spend the following two days hugging the toilet. I've worked with two patients who each did this multiple times. The craving to drink was still there, and during their time on Vivitrol, both ended up losing their families because of this. I will say though that I've never heard of someone using opiates successfully on Vivitrol. I've been told by multiple people who tried injecting heroin on the drug that they didn't feel a single thing.
Obviously though, this seems to be mostly irrelevant to your son's case.

2) Like I stated earlier, Vivitrol won't prevent an addict from using or craving another substance. I've seen people begin/continue using cocaine while on substance, and the same thing goes for weed and everything else. I know your loved one has had significant problems with weed, and unfortunately, Vivitrol probably won't do much for this if he doesn't want to stop smoking for himself.

Long story short, it's my belief that Vivitrol will only be truly helpful in the long-term if someone is fully committed to recovery. I can't speak on side effects and whatnot, but I'm sure there are better resources than myself for you to research them. I hope it works out okay though. Thinking of you humminbird.

-RT