Awaiting transplant

Old 09-16-2018, 12:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Awaiting transplant

My ex boyfriend was admitted to the hospital Friday night as he is top of the waitlist for a liver transplant with a meld score of 39. Still no word on possible donor match. I don’t know why they admitted him. Anyone else have experience in this area? I don’t think he has much time left.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope this doesn't come across as to mean but he's your ex. Why he is there and how much time he has or hasn't is not your problem.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Iamsoblind,

Welcome to SR!

I am so sorry to hear about your ex. I'm sure he must be very frightened.

The only experience I have in this area is with my stepson. He continues to drink, and his liver is on its last legs, so to speak. During his first official hospital detox, he was given a 50-50 shot to make it through with cirrhosis, jaundice, and hepatitis. When the doctor spoke with his father (my late husband), he was told that unless and until he stopped drinking he would not be eligible for a transplant if it came to that.

I can't answer your question as to why he was admitted to the hospital if there is not a liver available. Have you been talking to him? His family? The doctors (if he gave permission for them to talk to you)?

I know you must be frightened, too! I'm so sorry. I know we often don't just stop caring for someone once we break up with them.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iamsoblind46 View Post
My ex boyfriend was admitted to the hospital Friday night as he is top of the waitlist for a liver transplant with a meld score of 39. Still no word on possible donor match. I don’t know why they admitted him. Anyone else have experience in this area? I don’t think he has much time left.
Just wanted to send supportive thoughts to you, Iamsoblind. My AH is desperately ill too. A difficult time, such a mix of emotions.

This is such a horrible disease. The self destructiveness and unpleasant behaviours that come with it.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He must be really sick if they admitted him.

He being an ex, you don't have to subscribe to the next chapter of his life.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello I am so blind,

I’m sorry his alcoholism has brought you to this point of worry and concern and fear. You can’t save him. If you are like the bulk of us here, a small part of your mind think you alone can save him. So you are torn.

I don’t know how much work you have done on yourself and how you got mixed up with an A, but there are a lot of threads on this site with great book and article recommendations. You don’t want to pick another A, so please work on you and see what drove you to fall for one...

Take care of you.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It’s very hard to just turn off our feelings for people who we were once so close with. I am so sorry for your situation. The only thing I know about the MELD (model for end stage liver disease) is that the scale is from 6 to 40 so if he is at 39 then he is gravely ill and probably admitted to the hospital because he needs a new liver as soon as possible.

Again, I am sorry for your situation.