When does it stop becoming my story.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When does it stop becoming my story.

Was thinking about this tonight.

Was chatting to a woman online from a forum about "my story" and what has happened in my life recently. She said she was an alcoholic and could relate to his needing to put recovery before everyone else. In her opinion, she said she doesn't think he will come back into my life. That he will change completely, he has to, I get it! Not the best of news, though I want him to flourish and be happy, that said it's just one opinion and appreciated her honesty. It's nearly 2 months now since I've heard from him.

That got me thinking tonight. Learning about myself and codependency, trying to self care more and work some spiritual programme is helping me detach and focus on me. The question popped into my head, when does this stop being "my story"!

If he never comes back into my life, do I continue talking about him, it, what happened, at what point do I say, well he's not in your life so what are you still going over this stuff for?

It's bizarre, I don't know what kind of answer I'm looking for but as it came into my head tonight, I decided to throw it out there as I know at least 1 person will relate.

My instinct is, it will be my story untill I'm ready to let it go and stop talking about him. I don't know when that will be but it helps me to talk about it in here and elsewhere to work through it.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I get what you are saying. For myself, it's hard. I share kids and a 20 year history with my XAH. So when memories are discussed, he is many times part of those memories, good or bad.

That being said, when I did divorce, I decided I would make new memories to replace the old ones! So my family never sits around, we DO things. We create those memories, and you will too!

Give it time. Your story is going to be a great one!
Old 09-11-2018, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I get what you are saying. For myself, it's hard. I share kids and a 20 year history with my XAH. So when memories are discussed, he is many times part of those memories, good or bad.

That being said, when I did divorce, I decided I would make new memories to replace the old ones! So my family never sits around, we DO things. We create those memories, and you will too!

Give it time. Your story is going to be a great one!
Thanks hopeful, I will give it time, still not there yet, but I look forward to that day where I can make new memories, whoever it's with.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glenjo…...ruminating is a part of the grieving process.....and you are still in the early side of grieving.....you will let it fade away when you are ready....
Old 09-11-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
under new management

How about it's a chapter that you are in, at the moment?

Using the story analogy, for me, I flip around the book quite a bit.

Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing but, I don't define myself by any one thing.

Recovering alcoholic, married to an AH, recovered from breast cancer, sister, friend, etc. All of those and more, sometimes all at once, sometimes one at a time.

Let's add 'rambler' to the list
Old 09-11-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One of my favorite sayings: let go or be dragged. I let myself be dragged by an invisible recovering alcoholic longer than was wise. Finally got busy with other things, opened up my life to healthy people, and he became just a faint memory. Alanon made all the difference.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think you are looking at the way you deal in the world because you went through this and stopped and thought, hang onnnnnnn that's not right and this has made me see this.

Right now it's all tied in together, early days yet.

Why do you have to do all this (at times painful) self-examination for someone you aren't even talking to! Who hasn't contacted you in 2 months!

I think you will see that eventually, if you decide to continue on this path of self-care that it's not about him at all. I can also see how right now it's probably a bit annoying to you.

Small steps, think about how far you have come (and you have even if you don't quite see it yet).
Old 09-11-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think your ex will always be part of your story, as all people you cross paths with. But right now, maybe your focus shouldn't be on him anymore but on your own recovery which I think you are starting to really focus on. So talking about him in a way that is helping you realise who you are and what you need or want to work on would be your story again. Thinking about how or when he might change not. If that makes sense
Old 09-11-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your story is evolving just like you are Glen, you're writing it yourself. You get to change the direction, velocity & tone any time you are ready.

When you're ready, it'll just be. This was a big, big, BIG moment for me when it happened... and the thing is, that moment was nothing without the 48,000 (give or take) baby steps that came before it. Without those, I would never have arrived at that place.

You're doing great, cut yourself some slack.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Glenjo…...ruminating is a part of the grieving process.....and you are still in the early side of grieving.....you will let it fade away when you are ready....
I have a degree in ruminating! Big codependent trait.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2ndhandrose View Post
How about it's a chapter that you are in, at the moment?

Using the story analogy, for me, I flip around the book quite a bit.

Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing but, I don't define myself by any one thing.

Recovering alcoholic, married to an AH, recovered from breast cancer, sister, friend, etc. All of those and more, sometimes all at once, sometimes one at a time.

Let's add 'rambler' to the list
I like that this is a chapter, never thought of it like that. Only one part of the whole.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I think you are looking at the way you deal in the world because you went through this and stopped and thought, hang onnnnnnn that's not right and this has made me see this.

Right now it's all tied in together, early days yet.

Why do you have to do all this (at times painful) self-examination for someone you aren't even talking to! Who hasn't contacted you in 2 months!

I think you will see that eventually, if you decide to continue on this path of self-care that it's not about him at all. I can also see how right now it's probably a bit annoying to you.

Small steps, think about how far you have come (and you have even if you don't quite see it yet).
Yes it is early days. I think sometimes anxiety takes over, even on the days where I meditate and read, and on those days I question and ruminate about everything. One day at a time I guess working on recovery.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Your story is evolving just like you are Glen, you're writing it yourself. You get to change the direction, velocity & tone any time you are ready.

When you're ready, it'll just be. This was a big, big, BIG moment for me when it happened... and the thing is, that moment was nothing without the 48,000 (give or take) baby steps that came before it. Without those, I would never have arrived at that place.

You're doing great, cut yourself some slack.
Thanks, I tend to be hard on myself, perfectionistic, all codependent traits and it's not untill others point it out I realise how easily I do it. Self compassion today! It's a journey rather than a destination as melody beattie says.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I recently say this quote from Orson Wells………..

If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story.

When we face our own recovery, it’s like we are being asked to give up everything we know in order to get something better that we don’t yet understand.

I do think your story will always include your ex but he’s not the main character in your story, you are. Maybe he's just going to be in a few chapters.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
I recently say this quote from Orson Wells………..

If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story.

When we face our own recovery, it’s like we are being asked to give up everything we know in order to get something better that we don’t yet understand.

I do think your story will always include your ex but he’s not the main character in your story, you are. Maybe he's just going to be in a few chapters.
I'll be honest, that made me sad when you say he maybe he's just going to be in a few chapters, but it is a possibility if not probability.

Something better that we don't understand....I love this. Its the surrendering the knowing to universe, getting out of it's and my own way, and seeing what comes next.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Endings are sad if or when they may happen. And one of the hardest things we will ever have to do is grieve the loss of a person who is still alive. I know for me, once I got busy with me, focused on my recovery I began to realize I was no longer working on a happy or healthy relationship but was rather participating in a very long goodbye.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Endings are sad if or when they may happen. And one of the hardest things we will ever have to do is grieve the loss of a person who is still alive. I know for me, once I got busy with me, focused on my recovery I began to realize I was no longer working on a happy or healthy relationship but was rather participating in a very long goodbye.
Good awareness for you, that you were participating in a very long goodbye.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glenjo…..time and distance are your friends......
Old 09-12-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Never because we all think of Grandpa often.. ok need a tissue..
Old 09-12-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Glenjo…..time and distance are your friends......
Yes they do help with the detaching.