Advice for social situations

Old 09-07-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for social situations

I’ve previously posted about my wife who occasionally binge drinks. I’ve been reading up on the concepts of detachment and co-dependency, but I could use some advice for how to handle social situations where there will be alcohol. For example, if we’re at another couple’s house for dinner, do I just do my own thing, drink if I want to, and try to avoid eye contact with my wife when alcohol is offered? I’m just not sure what to do, if anything. Thanks.

Last edited by jjfromma; 09-07-2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-07-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is a personal decision. I did not ever drink in front of my XAH b/c it seemed like a bit of a slap in the face. Others say it's their problem, you should not have to change your behavior. Really it's up to you.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't "try to avoid eye contact". The fact that you want to do that means that you don't feel right about what you're doing. None of us can tell you what to do or what is "right".
Old 09-07-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

jjfromma…...I agree that you are free to do as you wish. In my case, I would just say "No thanks"....because I can take it or leave it, without feeling deprived.
I wonder if the "eye contact" thing underlines the fact that there is an issue between you and your wife about her drinking.....(I get that it is a natural reaction under the circumstances)……
lol...if you were offered another serving of beets, would you two make eye contact...?
I suspect that it another example of the elephant in the corner of the room.....
Old 09-07-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't drink around my A brothers. I'm most comfortable with that! Plus I don't care abut a drink for myself, I can always take it or leave it.
If we're at some large family social event like a wedding, I might have the toast of champagne or I might not; for sure I dance and have a good time, and I leave before things get ugly with the drinkers LOL!

Peace,
B.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are 100% right about there being an elephant in the room! That’s part of what I’m struggling with the most! I want to talk with my wife about the drinking, but I fear it will only lead to an argument (with her forcefully claiming all the stereotypical denials). I’m stuck in the reality that I think there’s a problem and she still thinks she’s addressed it and it’s under control.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

jjfromma…..I am going to go out on a limb and predict that it will...eventually....become evident that she does not have it under control. It is possible to white knuckle it, for varying length of time...but, for a true alcoholic, the alcoholic voice that speaks to them, 24/7, will eventually take over.....
In the mean time, I suggest that the best use of your time would be to work on yourself---preparing yourself to face whatever is to come.....
Old 09-07-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, jj.
I understand that you are uneasy with talking to your wife about her drinking.
But..you are not asking for a change in behavior, tho that would be great.
You are simply speaking your truth, that you are uncomfortable with the drinking, you are concerned about her health, etc.
There may be many conversations to come re this, but it starts with the first one.
Do you go to Al-Anon meetings? Lots of support there and maybe learn strategies to help you communicate.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

JJ I'm not sure what you're asking here. Is it whether you should drink? Or whether you should ask her not drink? Or by avoiding eye contact you are not provoking anything?

If your wife has stopped drinking you might want to support her by not having one yourself. It depends on the couple. I always assumed F&F would drink around me and was prepared for it, but everyone is different.

If she's still drinking and you want to avoid a binge episode then whether you have a glass of wine or not probably won't change anything.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi jj,

Ditto the Al-anon suggestion. What I found were nuggets of info that helped me, that kept bringing me back.

When I started going to meetings regularly, found a sponsor and started working the program, my life started transforming in good, good ways.

The 3 C's of alcoholism:

I didn't Cause it.

I can't Control it.

I can't Cure it.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is good

Here's a quote regarding Al-anon and a link to the web site.

"Alcoholism is a family illness. It is not only the addict or alcoholic that suffers. Even if family and friends are not in the grips of addiction themselves, they suffer nonetheless."

https://www.al-anon.org/

Regarding the social situations, I started opting out of them. I'm not why I did it at first. Perhaps simply overwhelmed with dealing with the alcoholic dynamics and fallout. Acting like everything was okay and normal became very stressful. Later I opted out because I was looking out for my own choices. In order for me to embrace change, it helped to change everything up. Our social friends were his, not mine. They encouraged his drinking, were not in my corner, didn't support me when I needed it, etc. It took time to work through this and see it. Baby steps. One day at a time.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

jj, it sounds like you are still holding on to the idea that something you do, or do not do will somehow determine whether or not your wife will drink alcoholically. Unfortunately, that's 100% her decision.

In a healthy relationship, people can talk about what they are feeling. The fact you feel you can't talk to your spouse about your worries is a pretty huge red flag. That elephant isn't going to disappear... it's far more likely to start leaving a big smelly mess...

I think the best thing you can do for you, your wife and your marriage is continue to educate yourself on alcoholism and codependence.

Setting your own boundaries and enforcing them is key to your own mental and emotional health.