Help! Facebook :)

Old 09-06-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

Help! Facebook :)

I've had a Facebook account for years and never used it because of dysfunctional family dynamics.

A local Reiki healer had a link on her website to a closed Facebook group I'm interested in being a part of.

Is there any way to use Facebook without others seeing where I am and what I'm doing? I haven't blocked anyone. I'm not sure if I'd want to do that now and make waves. Are people notified they've been blocked?

Looking to wade back into connecting in healthy ways through social media.

Instagram was my go to last year. I let it go naturally this year as I've needed more space for healing. Not ready to go back there, yet I'm missing it on some levels. Just not right timing, right now.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just get a new email address somewhere and start another FB page.

You can use your real name, or not, up to you. Maybe your first name and another last name, your Mother's maiden name? Grandmother's maiden name?

People are not notified they have been blocked - if they go to view your page they will be notified the content is not available.

If you decide to use your actual FB page you can block everyone from seeing which groups you are in, select which groups you let post on your page etc, but that's a bit of a hassle if you want to really keep this private I would suggest the separate page.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lots of people have Facebook pages that aren't under their actual names. I set one up for a friend from high school who didn't want to be found by a creepy ex-boyfriend and she is now "[Name of pet] [memorable characteristic of pet]". You can create a ***** email account and use that to create a Facebook identity.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is good

Bigger picture: using an alias/pseudonym/having anonymity vs. creating a positive online reputation.

Lots of food for thought. Facebook used to have something in their rules against this. I'm not sure if I'm okay with breaking their rule on it or not. Inner integrity in this isn't so much about the rule as "what's right for me, today?"

There's a part of me that's ready to publicly live my truth. I was abused as a child and adult. I'm not going to be quiet about this. So, in that case, proceeding with a bit of caution. Taking calculated risks on where I'm ready to be authentic. Being okay, perhaps, with a temporary identity to help me through this transaction and allow anonymity in the process.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is good

Then again, my 1 year anniversary of knowing about my childhood abuse is coming up.

Maybe it's perfect timing to be publicly me and speak out on my own behalf.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

Trailmix & Sasha, thank you!

I logged in, deleted my account and will be starting fresh. Disconnecting digitally and energetically from the past. Even though I didn't use it, there were a lot of links and connections there with people I no longer have in my life, or want in it!

These are beautiful words:

You can use your real name, or not, up to you.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is good

Signs while I'm working through this, in the form of music.

Now as I'm installing the Instagram app, the song on the radio:

"Pictures of you, pictures of me
Hung upon your wall for the world to see."

No fear. Moving forward. One moment at a time.

My Instagram posts have been healing, connected, fun and a true part of me.