OT: what is prayer?

Old 08-30-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

OT: what is prayer?

The meanings of words mean a lot to me. This has become a spiritual thing. The connections, weight and history can become a part of the intent of the word.

Looking up definitions for prayer, I don't relate to them at all.

Prayer for me is opening my heart, connecting with the source of life that flows through this universe. It's an elemental connection that's always been there, long before I recognized it.

My prayers can be thoughts, acknowledgements, questions. They ask for signs and direction.

So if this isn't prayer, perhaps it's simply "life". Connected. Guided.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

Old 08-30-2018, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm new to praying again (used to as a child), but for me it means trying to connect with a nice peaceful energy that exists all around us. One that speaks back to us if we can hear it through meditation or signs. Enjoying rediscovering it.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Prayers means so very much to me, and differs from the rote, standard prayers I grew up with in the Catholic church.

I think it has been described beautifully here.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That makes sense to me Mango. I suppose prayer can be many things. I probably like best the deep listening that seems to be meditation/centering prayer.

I'm with Freedom1990 in that most of my prayers differ from the rote Catholic prayers that I learned in the church however I still use these prayers specially in family rituals. Today I broke out the prayers of confession and had my sister use the order of the ritual to listen to my confession.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a nice post Mango.

I grew up with prayers before bed every night, and going to Sunday school reading stories from the bible. Our faith doesn't have too many structured prayers - Ive always talked to God about all kinds of things - to ask why, to complain (ha), to offer thanks, to ask for help and guidance. Im not sure I can explain it, but even in the darkest times Ive known I was not alone and could talk to someone. Think of all the teaching Ive had through church, my parents and some of the answers would come from this if I centered myself.

Different from my spiritual life - I also enjoy nature and the beauty of the world God created. I find peace in the trees, the sky, appreciate all the things that are around me like flowers, bees, little animals, moss on trees. It also helps me center myself. When dealing with PTSD symptoms I found it helpful to do breathing exercises, stretching, meditation outside among the trees.

My husband and I say a prayer with our son before bed every night. He is too little to understand, but soon I hope he will also realize he is not alone and has someone watching over him, someone who loves him, who will listen, even when mom and dad are not there.