Inside Rehab, by Anne M Fletcher

Old 08-15-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I watch all Mom episodes, in fact it's one of only two I watch regularly, I think it's hilarious (as well as informative).

I would be friends with any of them!

One thing that shines through is that they all have good hearts. Yes they get up to no good but hey, I wouldn't have gone with them when they went to collect the "hot" honey in a barrel they were going to resell lol
Old 08-15-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes, that guy was out there. He's probably still floating around in space lol Thanks, Ill do some research.
Originally Posted by aliciagr View Post
If you do a google search on: treatment for substance use disorder then it should pop up with the current medical guidelines for treatment. The medical community has reached a consensus on best practices. It goes over things like early treatment, evidence based treatments, family therapy, support of family. Which I think is tied back to what maudcat has been talking about in this thread and another recent one. As a family member how do we handle all this ?

I don't know if its a program per say, but more like concepts of how does the family member navigate, find support, deal with emotions, and yes even support our partner just as we would if this was another medical illness like cancer, MS, depression. My guess is there are programs / support systems for family members being built around this premise.

I didn't use a program, just therapy. Did individual and family therapy and got hooked up with the addiction doctors through the local medical center in the state we used to live in. I do know its important to check credentials of therapists and to see what their own knowledge base consists of. Sounds like you met a whacky one recently so you already know they are not all alike!
Old 08-15-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
I read this book when it was published in 2013, and found it to be very informative.
So I’m reading it again.
Now five years old, so really doesn’t go into the fentenyl stuff.
What strikes me now, as it did then, is how invested rehabs are in 12 step programs.
Nothing against 12 step, but they are not for everyone.
I also have become interested in the Community Reinforcement and Family Training program, or CRAFT.
Intrigued because I have always been true blue Al-Anon, and CRAFT takes a different approach.
Would like to hear thoughts from anyone with knowledge of or experience with this program.
Have a great day, all.
Hi, Maudcat- Wanted to let you know that I have since written many columns about the opioid crisis. You can view the most recent one if you search for "Fentanyl: Time to Open Our Eyes to Today’s Biggest Driver of the Opioid Crisis (Part I)." Earlier in the year, there's a series about the opioid crisis.
Best to you, ManyPaths

Last edited by ManyPaths; 08-15-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to address Maudcat's question about CRAFT
Old 08-15-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

CRAFT for families

Maudcat asked about CRAFT. I co-led a family group at an outpatient program, incorporating CRAFT approaches. A main focus is helping family members use positive communication strategies and positive reinforcement (when appropriate) with loved ones with substance use disorders.

It's a great approach and yields good results - numerous randomized controlled trials showed it to be far more effective than traditional interventions at getting people to enter treatment. A great recent book about CRAFT and other family approaches is Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change. It's by psychologists who founded Ctr for Motivation and Change, an excellent treatment program in NYC w/rehab in Berkshires. Their website has lots of succinct info about CRAFT. ManyPaths
Old 08-15-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you, ManyPaths..
I came upon the Center for Motivation and Change when I was searching for info about CRAFT and now subscribe to their newsletter.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ManyPaths View Post
Maudcat asked about CRAFT. I co-led a family group at an outpatient program, incorporating CRAFT approaches. A main focus is helping family members use positive communication strategies and positive reinforcement (when appropriate) with loved ones with substance use disorders.

It's a great approach and yields good results - numerous randomized controlled trials showed it to be far more effective than traditional interventions at getting people to enter treatment. A great recent book about CRAFT and other family approaches is Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change. It's by psychologists who founded Ctr for Motivation and Change, an excellent treatment program in NYC w/rehab in Berkshires. Their website has lots of succinct info about CRAFT. ManyPaths

I did read this book ! It was recommended by my therapist and it was talked about in the family sessions. I remember it talked about the process of change, lots of things on communication, and also self care. I feel it was a more family oriented approach. The therapy sessions really helped me.

Do you know if there are online support / forums similar to the design here, where family members can share and learn?

Thanks for posting, and would be interested in hearing more about your own journey.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aliciagr View Post
Do you know if there are online support / forums similar to the design here, where family members can share and learn?
There is, right here:

https://www.smartrecovery.org/commun...ificant-Others)

Find ways to use SMART & CRAFT to help with the challenges you face and to provide meaningful support for your loved one.

You have to register before you can see all the forums I believe.