OT: DNA genetic heritage testing

Old 08-03-2018, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

OT: DNA genetic heritage testing

I'm considering having this done. I find cases that blow apart generally held beliefs to be extremely interesting. I think I'd welcome that more than finding my heritage is what I've always been told, because of the extreme issues in my FOO. Finding out what a DNA test shows, facing facts instead of ignoring my own genetic history and making peace with my heritage could be a healthy adventure. Maybe even that step away from the emotions and getting down to factual info could help transform my view of this part of myself.

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/18/61237...a-test-results

Any experience, strength & hope on the subjects of heritage or DNA testing?
Old 08-03-2018, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I personally know someone who did this, and she found out that her father was not actually her biological father. Her biological father was a neighbor - she found him because he also had done DNA testing and was in a registry. Needless to say, some drama ensued.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I've done the National Geographic testing, the type that gives you your deep ancestry. You can do male or female lines based on the X or Y chromosomes. I had to do the X, being female. No surprises, but interesting anyway. I had a typical northern European mix. The bit that interested me was some Neanderthal and Denisovan. I think the latter could have been misinterpreted as it is very specific to SE Asia, Siberia and pacific populations.
Denisovan are a branch that separated from Neanderthals. Not much is known about them, except through genetic heritage.
Sorry for the ramble - Mango you have brought out my inner geek.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is good

Keep it rambling, please! I'm currently very confused about what testing and where to have it done.

https://www.smarterhobby.com/genealogy/best-dna-test/

From articles I've read this evening, it seems Ancestry . com automatically connects people who are related on their site? I do not want this.

23&me shares info with pharmaceutical companies, and/or reserves the right to do so. I'm not interested as much in genetics as heritage.

The NPR link in the first post is about someone who had both maternal and paternal heritage done. FG, is this what you did?
Old 08-03-2018, 07:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is good

I found more info on that:

One important note: Results are different for women and men. Women, who have the XX chromosome, can only trace back the maternal line. Men, having the XY chromosome, can track back the maternal and paternal line, painting a complete picture. If you're a woman, it's worth asking your brother, if you have one, to take a test and share the results.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
Keep it rambling, please! I'm currently very confused about what testing and where to have it done.

https://www.smarterhobby.com/genealogy/best-dna-test/

From articles I've read this evening, it seems Ancestry . com automatically connects people who are related on their site? I do not want this.

23&me shares info with pharmaceutical companies, and/or reserves the right to do so. I'm not interested as much in genetics as heritage.

The NPR link in the first post is about someone who had both maternal and paternal heritage done. FG, is this what you did?
Mango it's good that you're defining what you want from the testing. For me it was all about deep ancestry, which traces your origins right back to pre-historical population movements. I am thrilled that modern science can tell us about how modern humans left Africa and populated the earth.

I get really annoyed by some of the Ancestry advertising which implies you can tell what country your missing ancestors came from. It's much more general than that.

Technology has moved on over the years, but when I did my test with NG it had to be on mitochondrial DNA which you can only inherit from your mother, she from hers and so on back to Mitochondrial Eve (the common ancestor). I couldn't check out the male line as I don't have the Y chromosome, being female. I do have a male cousin I could ask though.

If you're interested in deep ancestry I suggest you check out the Genographic Project run by National Geographic. Their discoveries have been mind blowing.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is good

I cut ties with my family of origin (a very healthy move, as my anxieties have drastically shrunk!). With general heritage research I'm feeling a way to create a new relationship and curiosity about my heritage.

Going to meditate on this a bit.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
I found more info on that:

One important note: Results are different for women and men. Women, who have the XX chromosome, can only trace back the maternal line. Men, having the XY chromosome, can track back the maternal and paternal line, painting a complete picture. If you're a woman, it's worth asking your brother, if you have one, to take a test and share the results.
Mango, I did Ancestry and then we talked to one of my brothers to get him to spit in the tube and the results were similar, but different. One of the things that surprised me, when I got my own results, was the strong Nordic component, but it makes sense since growing up we always identified as "Scots-Irish" on my father's side. It tells me a lot about who my real "people" were and what they endured. Plus, now I embrace my inner Viking when I need it.

As far as the registry, you can opt out of that with Ancestry in their settings.

It was interesting and I would do another test, that was more comprehensive, if I got the chance.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is good

I just placed an order for 23andme ancestry DNA kits for kid and I. He's been wanting to do this for a long time. Trusted my gut on which ones to do for right now.

Fun stuff coming up in exploring and meditating on it. Instead of ancestry, I was drawn to DNA, central nervous system, neurotransmitters and glia. The whole amazing regenerative complexities of this human body!
Old 08-04-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is good

After I register the kits and mail saliva samples it's an estimated 6-8 weeks for results. I appreciate this new focus/good distraction right now. Almost 10 weeks since leaving and going No Contact. Kid and I are both processing lots of emotions, leaning into healing, letting go & letting God.

Waves of good days flowing in, one after the other.

#newadventures