Separation process blues. Make that an opera!

Old 08-06-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good for you! Of course, he is his therapist's client. That therapist is going to push for what would be best for him, not you. I am so glad you stuck to your own wants and needs. Very proud of you!
Old 08-10-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Good for you! Of course, he is his therapist's client. That therapist is going to push for what would be best for him, not you. I am so glad you stuck to your own wants and needs. Very proud of you!
Thank you. It is difficult and I see my SO’s POV. I’m still going to hold my ground and own my life so that I can enjoy the rest of it.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sleepyhollo View Post
Even though my Soon to be ex RAH has been clean for almost 2 years and is doing well from a sobriety/recovery point I really don’t think he gets how much the years affected me and our relationship (and how there appears to be a lot that he doesn’t remember). I was ready to walk out 2 years ago when I gave him an ultimatum. Surprisingly he was actually ready to do something this time (I had never given him an aulitmatum before but had confronted him several times before and he would quit for a while’. I stayed because I felt like I should give him one more chance, our kid and our family. Recovery and rehab were hard on us and it made things worse. I was super codependent which didn’t help either. I had a very hard time with the fact that it is ok to not love him anymore and to be honest with my feelings. It has been very hard and it has taken lots of counseling but I’m better with it more and more. I hadn’t been honest with my feelings for a long time. He isn’t a bad man, never laid a hand on me and has a good job and to the outside world we had a really good life. I just didn’t realize that the years of his drinking and failed attempts at sobriety (and it was all a big secret) and emotional neglect/abuse (never saw this for what it was until I started counseling, denial and ignorance are powerful) had taken the toll on me that it had. Because i felt like I should be grateful that he got sober (I am mostly so my kid has a father ) and just be able to move on. But it is so much more complicated than that and people don’t get that unless they’ve been there. Like I said I don’t think my RAH really understands.
It was very hard for me to finally be honestly about my feelings (or lack thereof..) because I’ve always worried about everyone else’s feeling and pushed my own away. I wasn’t getting beaten up after all and so many people have it so much worse than I. But in the end that doesn’t matter. I’m entitled to have my feelings and that has been very hard, to accept that it’s ok to be honest with myself even if that means others get hurt in the process. I still struggle with it but much less so. After all, if I’m not honest with myself than I’m the one that continues to get hurt.
I have reread your writing today. It has given me much needed confirmation. My situation is still complicated because of financial issues as well as everything you have mentioned. Any time we begin to sort out mundane things (accommodation, bills, etc) and it goes well and without the usual shouting match or seething anger if it’s not perfect, then my SO says, “See? It’s going well. You’re not giving us a chance if we separate.” It’s getting old and boring fast. For this I’m actually grateful because not only is the love gone, the dullness of it all has settled and I definitely don’t want that. Perhaps it was always there but I, like you was in the powerful grasp of denial. I also know that with the love that was there came so much pain. The pain and love preventing truth to be told and that hurt us both in the end. So I continue to fight for myself and be strong. He is still shattered and disbelieving that I want separation. Each time I clarify the situation he expresses another wave of shatter. He can’t accept it and has a huge amount to lose if he does. But he also has his life saved and a new set of possible ways of living it. Not too bad, eh?
Old 08-30-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

i accepted there was nothing more i could say that would do any good.
No truer words!

What I DID, however, spoke volumes. To xabf...and more importantly, to myself.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

His future choices are in his own hands. I am so glad you can see that as it's the same for YOU!!!

This is a chance at new opportunities, seize them!!!
Old 08-31-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Any time we begin to sort out mundane things (accommodation, bills, etc) and it goes well and without the usual shouting match or seething anger if it’s not perfect, then my SO says, “See? It’s going well. You’re not giving us a chance if we separate.”
I can talk about mundane things with my work colleagues without going into a shouting match/seething anger/etc.

Doesn't mean I want to marry them.