Alcoholic husband

Old 07-23-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post

As for your child. You can keep him/her in this environment but I guarantee you it won't turn out well, you cannot control the damage it will do, it is impossible. No amount of covering for daddy sleeping all the time and Mommy hitting him in frustration and Daddy telling Mom how worthless she is can be patched up by any amount of therapy.
Yes, this is my fear. At the moment, only the first thing you mention is something that our child is actually witnessing, but I'm under no illusions that others might not creep in as the years go on.

Well I spoke to my mum yesterday when I was down at their house, and she was very sympathetic as I knew she would be. Her view was that I should start speaking more to professionals to get a sense of some possible options. I have made the first move and made an appointment with a divorce/family lawyer for Wednesday. It's just an initial consultation at this stage but it's more than I've managed in the past few years so I am feeling quite good about that.

In the mean time, I can see the signs of him slowing down and coming out of this binge. We just had a brief conversation and he wasn't angry the way he has been this past week, just deflated and depressed. If he does sober up imminently, I know this will be the hardest part. It is amazing how quickly things feel "normal" after one of these bouts and it is so so tempting to just slip back into that and hope it works out this time. It has taken so many repetitions of this cycle for me to start thinking that I can't keep taking this risk. I'm still not 100% sure that I am strong enough yet but I do know that I am closer than I have ever been before. So I guess for now all I can do is keep moving in the right direction.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You are strong! Look at what you have dealt with for years? I felt strongly about it one day, sick and tired of it all, called an attorney and had the divorce filed in 2 business days (getting him served was a bit challenging but it was finally done) and never looked back. It is not easy every day but I know it is best for me. You have to do what is best for you and your daughter and don't doubt yourself.