I want a new word for Recovery

Old 07-07-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Evolution
Old 07-07-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
One of the things that I didn't/don't care for in groups is jargon and code words. I don't worry about what to call my life. My days aren't a forever, upward arc. My best effort is my best effort, but that varies from one day to the next.

Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon who doesn't want anyone to know my business.

I'm the same, and it's not just about people knowing my business. I feel, for me, a label is restrictive. I don't even like referring to my husband as an AH. There is more to him than his drinking problem.

To each his own though, right?
Old 07-07-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Just living ... and it's a beautiful thing
Old 07-07-2018, 11:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm in w/those who say "living" is the term that they'd use. I feel like this process of learning, growing, understanding, caring, rejoicing, grieving, listening, speaking, seeing, dancing, flying--this is what life is supposed to be.

We just never knew it until now.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Fabulousness.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great thoughts all around guys, thanks so much for all the input. I agree that it comes down to just "living" but that leaves out the evolution I've gone through to get there. Normies "live" every day, you know?

This weekend I found myself simply referring to it as "my story", and it feels comfortable for now. It doesn't lean toward negative or positive - it just IS.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Freedom!

I am free
Old 07-08-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Normies evolve everyday, too, imho. Life is about change and growth. Some of us are just placed in situations where the growth is more visible and harder to achieve. You should be proud of how far you have come!!

I think anyone who has realized that their life needs to change and reaches out here should be proud. It is incredibly brave! And then putting in the work to actually make those changes? That is a magnificent accomplishment.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hello Firesprite,

I like your post. I agree with Seren a little bit too. You are so kind to keep sharing your experience here that we can keep growing and living & moving forward. Thank you!

Actively
Balancing
Living
Experiencing
Old 07-16-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know it is not the same thing that you are asking for.....but, I recently heard a new word for "co-dependent"...…..it is "Self-love Deficit disorder".....new word for alcoholism is....."Alcohol Use Syndrome"...…..

LOl...the word for a rose is still "rose"......
Old 07-16-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Heeeeeeeey - is that CodeJob, de-lurking?!?

All great thoughts guys, thanks. I think every idea here is applicable depending on how one views their recovery. (lol Dandy!)

Just to be clear - I call it 50 shades of Everything when I'm thinking about it all from my own perspective....that's a conversation that never ends & goes in a million directions, lol.

To me, anything starting with "Re" immediately has negative connotations - you're getting over it, doing it again, correcting, etc. It's Latin roots as a prefix literally translate to repetition, doing things again & again, backward movement, etc. I don't feel like I'm stuck in a repetitive cycle any longer, even while I'll never be done growing & changing.

I was wanting a more positive, shared language way to share it in my conversations with others. I want to separate myself from that negative perception when I share My Story with others so that they hear the whole thing.

There's nothing wrong with the word recovery; again, it's my personal preference at play here. This is all part of my internal programming changes - layering together positive thoughts and words and actions starting from deep inside & moving up & out to the world around me. Mind/body/spirit

Old 07-18-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Becoming the best version of yourself!

The diving deep you tube channel always states this as a goal and I love it!
Old 07-18-2018, 07:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I loathe the word "sober." It doesn't sound like a lot of fun, whereas the mental state free from intoxicants is hugely fun and joyful.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
To me, anything starting with "Re" immediately has negative connotations -
Except, if your name is Rebecca,___________,............ or you regain your strength.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Rejoice, recreation, renew....
Old 07-19-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I do get what you guys are saying, but again even if the word is positive in meaning the prefix is all about doing something over again - renew indicates something has spoiled and needs to be corrected/changed/updated.

Again, personal preference for ME. At this time, I prefer to use words that do not somehow refer to fixing something broken. Especially since MY recovery encompasses so many sides of growth - my husband's issues, my FOO issues with addiction (ACOA) and sexual abuse (SA), my own lifelong eating disorder (ED).

The biggest success in my journey has been to shed those acronyms and stop identifying with "qualifiers"..... just owning my Self and my life going forward.

*I* am much more than my Recovery. My Story is much more than my acronyms.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
The biggest success in my journey has been to shed those acronyms and stop identifying with "qualifiers"..... just owning my Self and my life going forward.

*I* am much more than my Recovery. My Story is much more than my acronyms.
If all this is true (and I think it's quite clear from your postings that it is), then you don't need a word at all, FS.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
If all this is true (and I think it's quite clear from your postings that it is), then you don't need a word at all, FS.
I guess that is exactly what I'm trying to say in many, many more words.

Simple. I love it.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Life is good

Wandering. On a walk-about. Pointing my feet in a good direction and paying attention to the place I'm in.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:29 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dezExwB8GCM
Kinda sorry?