Frustrated...

Old 05-20-2018, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Frustrated...

I need help/advice on how to deal with my ex-mother-in-law.

Back story: My ex-in-laws both enable my STBAXH. AXH is the youngest out of their two boys. Their older son is 34 and my X is 31. Both live at home with them. Both have women who spend the night there. Both sons' are alcoholics. My ex-brother-in-law is gang affiliated. Both sons' have children who don't live with them. My ex-mother-in-law has enabled my X since he was a teen with his drinking. She would go and look for him when he would take off all night drinking and bring him back home to me. I would kick him out constantly because of his drunken behaviors. He of course would go and stay with her, where she would convince him I was being unreasonable. She has always had this type of jealousy because my mom the majority of the time babysit our sons when we would go out for dinner or events. I would ask her sometimes.

Recent Issues: Since we have separated which was about 2 years ago. Her behavior has shifted towards my sons. Last year in January 2017 the school clerk told me that my XMIL took my older food while he was in class. They called him out of class to go to the office to get it and he didn't want it. She never asked me if it was okay to go and do that. The next month after that my older sons told me XMIL showed up after school and starting walking home with him and his friends but as soon as they started to get close to my house she left. I called her and asked her to call/text me if she would like to see the kids. She did this a 2nd time after that I told her to ask me first. In March 2018 she showed up to my parents house to bring me a thermometer because my son was sick. We ended up having a harsh conversation in the front yard about what nonsense that has being going on at her house regarding my X. I told her that I know that he is still continuing to drink at a high amount. Her response was "its not happening around the kids." I also mentioned to her that I know that he has been having a female visitor there. Her response again was "its not having around the kids". The only reason I mentioned about him having a female there because the night before I had to take my son to the ER. I texted him and he sent a quick response back around 10pm and never showed up because his female visitor was spending the night with him. She lied for him saying "he was asleep" and that's why he didn't show up. At the end of our conversation, I told her that I didn't want my sons around the smoking, drinking and random women. She told me that they were not going to be around them. She has shown up several times to my parents house and my parents a very uncomfortable with it. She sent me a text saying she saw my car at church and was "thanking God that I attended church so that God could help my pain." Then asked me if I wanted to go shopping with her for clothes for my boys. I was confused??? I never responded. She continued to send me and my mom texts for Easter. She sent me a text telling me that my son was not responding to her texts. I didn't respond any of her latest texts. SO Yesterday I threw my older son a birthday party at my house. My X was aware of it. XMIL decided to show up during the party unannounced again to bring my son a card for his birthday?? She had allll day long to bring him a card but waited until 6:30pm to come by and seeing cars parked in front of my house. I told my X this morning what happened he said he would talk to her because he didn't agree with what she did. I'm so tired and fed up with my XMIL behavior. I have had to deal with it for the past 13 years. She continues to do whatever she wants, whenever she wants. I feel like I have no respect as their grandchildren's mother. It worries and scares me that she will try to take the boys from me (her following my son after school). I've been very vocal about my concerns going on in her house and have been very firm and direct with her about her odd behavior towards my kids. Its one thing to enable her son's behavior but I feel like she needs to step back and leave my children alone and focus solely on her children. I understand she is their grandma but I've explained to her there are boundary lines that we all need to learn how to respect. I don't know what else to do???
Old 05-20-2018, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

I understand she is their grandma

This no longer means anything to me. I have no apologies, only good things happening for cutting ties with Toxic people.

I've explained to her there are boundary lines that we all need to learn how to respect.

We can't change other people. When someone shows us who they are, it's up to us to learn new actions to take. One day at a time, I pray, I meditate, I learn to enjoy life. In this, as crap comes up for me to deal with I have new skills to take new actions.

The past and the future are too big for me to deal with. Letting God guide this one day, I keep experiencing great things.

It is possible. Hang in there!!

(((hugs)))
Old 05-20-2018, 09:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

When I pray and meditate often, when I ask God to work in my life and direct my thoughts and actions, things happen.

I'm connecting with healthy people and have a growing support network.

I'm suddenly turning and walking away from people I used to placate. I'm hanging up on unwelcome phone calls and turning around to enjoy the day. Sometimes with a great emotional reaction that I'm also walked through.

I don't know how things change. I do see Who changes things in my life. It's not just me. I'm not alone in this.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The next month after that my older sons told me XMIL showed up after school and starting walking home with him and his friends but as soon as they started to get close to my house she left.
That’s creepy. Maybe you could get a restraining order.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would definitely be having a recorded conversation with her that if she continues, I will pursue legal action. I would also explain to the school that she has no parental rights and is not to see children at school. Very creepy.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
I understand she is their grandma

This no longer means anything to me. I have no apologies, only good things happening for cutting ties with Toxic people.

I've explained to her there are boundary lines that we all need to learn how to respect.

We can't change other people. When someone shows us who they are, it's up to us to learn new actions to take. One day at a time, I pray, I meditate, I learn to enjoy life. In this, as crap comes up for me to deal with I have new skills to take new actions.

The past and the future are too big for me to deal with. Letting God guide this one day, I keep experiencing great things.

It is possible. Hang in there!!

(((hugs)))
Yes, I agree I try to let go and let God take control but when things like this happen that affect my children I have learned to take action. Thank you for the advice.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
When I pray and meditate often, when I ask God to work in my life and direct my thoughts and actions, things happen.

I'm connecting with healthy people and have a growing support network.

I'm suddenly turning and walking away from people I used to placate. I'm hanging up on unwelcome phone calls and turning around to enjoy the day. Sometimes with a great emotional reaction that I'm also walked through.

I don't know how things change. I do see Who changes things in my life. It's not just me. I'm not alone in this.
Thank you for the positive words and support : )
Old 05-21-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
That’s creepy. Maybe you could get a restraining order.
I've thought about it. I've documenting as things occur so if I need to one day I will have so evidence.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I would definitely be having a recorded conversation with her that if she continues, I will pursue legal action. I would also explain to the school that she has no parental rights and is not to see children at school. Very creepy.
I have went to the school and notified them of the situation and told them if my X or XMIL go to the school for my kids to please call me right now so I can go over there. I have been sending her text messages as this occur so I have proof of a conversation. I've been documenting in a journal as well in case I need to take it to court. Thank you for the advice.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Is your ex authorized to pick up the kids at the school?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
Is your ex authorized to pick up the kids at the school?
We have joint legal custody so legally he can pick up kids from school but he never has. My scheduled time with them is during the week for school so he would need to ask me if he could pick them up.