Grinning with relief

Old 05-14-2018, 11:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grinning with relief

Hi friends,
I just experienced my first night alone in my own place without an intoxicated loved one screaming and cursing. Literally a first. (My loved one is in day 1- rehab.) My heart was so light and thrilled walking into a quiet home, knowing that absolutely whatever I do or think I won’t be treated disrespectfully. I have a basketful of emotional and practical issues to manage while I have the psychological space. That’s ok. A little window cracked open and I can feel freedom’s breeze. Sharing this sweet, sweet experience to help support anyone who is considering or about to get out of a situation where living with an A alcoholic is now intolerable. It’s a good idea to remove yourself if you can. Sharing this as an acknowledgment of my gratitude for all the support from everyone in this forum. Thank you!!
Old 05-15-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!! Enjoy the peace!!
Old 05-15-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good stuff!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zukunft View Post
Hi friends,
I just experienced my first night alone in my own place without an intoxicated loved one screaming and cursing. Literally a first. (My loved one is in day 1- rehab.) My heart was so light and thrilled walking into a quiet home, knowing that absolutely whatever I do or think I won’t be treated disrespectfully. I have a basketful of emotional and practical issues to manage while I have the psychological space. That’s ok. A little window cracked open and I can feel freedom’s breeze. Sharing this sweet, sweet experience to help support anyone who is considering or about to get out of a situation where living with an A alcoholic is now intolerable. It’s a good idea to remove yourself if you can. Sharing this as an acknowledgment of my gratitude for all the support from everyone in this forum. Thank you!!
So happy for you! Life in the self-love/self-care zone is a beautiful thing. Enjoy
Old 05-16-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wonderful Zuk. May this be a time of healing and growth for you.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So happy for you!
Old 05-18-2018, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How's your freedom going?? I'm sure the silence is wonderful.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
How's your freedom going?? I'm sure the silence is wonderful.
Thanks for asking! So far so good! I’m really enjoying the peace and self nurturing time. The treatment is continuing smoother than expected. Having said that, and with love in my heart, I know a difficult path lies ahead. I really don’t want to live with my loved one after rehab. Or ever. My whole being is screaming “NO!” I’m not sure when or how to break the news which I anticipate will be devastating. After only a week in detox is certainly not the time, but I don’t want to create false hope either. I will need to talk this through with someone soon. Marriage counselor, lawyer, psychiatrist? All of the above. Much to think about. Thanks again for your kind support. All the best for you!
Old 05-21-2018, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Z, is there rehab planned for post-detox? There is a lot to be said for the notion of breaking bad news while your loved one is in a place where they are supported and monitored and have fewer real-life responsibilities to deal with.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks S, yes the rehab is also happening. I’ll definitely think about what you’ve mentioned. I think I should wait until he’s had a couple of sessions with the therapists. Meanwhile, I have time to think and it feels good! Thanks again!