Waiting for the other shoe to drop

Old 05-02-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Vent away! We are proud of you as well! When you can start to see YOUR OWN reactions changing, you know you are well into making progress! Well done!

Addicts are professional victims. That is just my .02

Big hugs!
Old 05-02-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Spahappy,

How awesome you are! Keep it up girl.

You didn’t react the way he expected. That is confusing to him. He’s still in alkie mode, so he’s going to throw a pity party about it. M

Not your problem. Certainly not your fault.

He’s definitely a dry drunk, sounds like he won’t be dry for long if he keeps out of recovery. I really hope he finds it. For all of your sakes. But you’re doing the right thing. You don’t deserve to be sucked back into alkie land.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Grassalley, thanks for your reply and sorry to hear about your situation. It does sound like we are in the same boat. We’ve already been through a few cycles of what you are describing. Commitments to not drink for a week, a month, 90 days (which he didn’t fulfill because he had a “boys trip” and couldn’t fathom skipping it or not drinking). Then commitments to stop for good which he has now failed to do twice. We even tried setting parameters on allowable drinking (no drinking and driving, not during the day, not while alone with the kids). This last one he managed for about a month and then I came home from work at 5 pm to find he drank a liter of whiskey that day. He is able to stop or moderate for a few weeks and then we are right back to where we were before.

He’s going to therapy twice a month but refuses to get any additional support even though he desperately needs it. It is so sad and frustrating. But you’re right, all we can do is detach and take care of ourselves. Thinking of you as well!
Old 05-02-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Firebolt, hopeful, & wehave2day - thanks for the positive comments!
Old 05-03-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spahappy View Post

He then starts saying that I don’t appreciate all of his efforts and how much better he is doing this time. And that his opinion doesn’t matter and he will just suppress his feelings again (which is one of the things he blames his drinking on). Poor me, poor me, I’m the victim. He storms out of the room as usual when he doesn’t like what he hears.
Okay, I know none of this is actually funny but I had to laugh at this part. He tells you he's just going to suppress his feelings right before he stomps out, clearly expressing feeling all over the place? My ex used to do the same thing - tell me he had to repress his emotions around me because I was so judgmental, he couldn't show how he really felt, etc etc, and I used to think "God, if only that were true ... it would be a relief if you actually did suppress a negative emotion once in a while".
Old 05-03-2018, 09:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sasha, seriously. Since our conversation he has slept on the couch for the last 2 nights and will hardly acknowledge me. So much for suppressing his emotions!
Old 05-03-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spahappy View Post
Sasha, seriously. Since our conversation he has slept on the couch for the last 2 nights and will hardly acknowledge me. So much for suppressing his emotions!
Enjoy the quiet - at least he's not ranting at you.

I always appreciate the quiet, unless the dog and kid are chasing each other around the house, then that's fun stuff!