Minimum alcohol pricing starts in Scotland tomorrow.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Minimum alcohol pricing starts in Scotland tomorrow.

Sorry for another post. I just wondered what others' opinions are on this. Scotland will start 50p per unit minimum pricing on the 1st May.

Personally I think it will make a difference because I have seen my AW in a position many times before where she only has a few pounds but can manage to buy 1L of very strong cider for her few pounds.

W
Old 04-30-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If I was still drinking, it wouldn't make any difference to me at all. I would have just paid whatever it cost.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In reading your other post just now I can't imagine it will make a difference at all. In the country where I live alcohol is not cheap, it's expensive.

In looking at Scotland's new guidelines it looks to be on par with what the prices are here. No shortage of alcoholics here.

If monetary "punishment" could stop addictions, there wouldn't be any addiction. Might slow down consumption a bit?

Also, in your other post you mention that the money needs to go for bills, not alcohol at this point. That obviously has had zero impact, i'm sure you have been down the bills vs alcohol route before? You cannot expect an addict to care whether alcohol prices are increasing. You will still have someone there telling you to go to the liquor store. So your lot hasn't changed at all, won't stop the constant nagging.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

never underestimate an addict's ruthless quest for more.

i think you are looking for anything that might slow things down, but not looking at the big picture.....your AW DOES NOT WANT TO slow down.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

price is of no consequence to an alcoholic. When booze costs more, they just get further behind in bills, faster.

My late husband was withdrawing money from his retirement plan to buy beer. The tax penalties were huge for drawing down retirement funds before retirement, but he didn't care. He also didn't tell me - our tax preparer did.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I'd doubt it would help, except apparently there are a lot of stats around that if you increase the price, consumption goes down. It will be interesting to see.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's pointless trying to police alcoholics drinking by doing this and shows a lack of knowledge by the government as to how alcoholics operate. My exah would get money for his alcohol from anywhere no matter how much it cost. He got out bank loans against our house without my knowledge and would take the last £20 out my purse to buy alcohol when we had no food in the house for our kids. By the time we split up I had 15k debt cos of his drinking. All that is going to happen in Scotland is alcoholics families will suffer as money is taken for food and bills and the crime rate will go up when they start stealing to make money to buy it.