Books that helped your children?

Old 04-12-2018, 11:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Books that helped your children?

My 12 year old talked to me tonight. It started out as just things he was upset with in general, then the talking turned to dad, and how he never told him he was sorry about anything until he stopped drinking. We talked about that, about the changes he's seen in his dad, what's the big deal about 90 days soberity etc. He did share with me that after watching dad, he's never drinking when hes older.

Anyway, he is interested in books that might help him understand alcoholism. I mentioned Al ateen, he is not interested in that right now, he would like to start with books. There are many out there. What books did your children like? What books did you think helped your children?
Old 04-13-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Check out this website from Betty Ford children’s program: http://mybeamersworld.com
It’s probably sort of on the cusp for his age but the children’s program is for 7-12 year olds. I don’t know if you could order the book series (my kid got the whole series from attending the program ) but it is really good. It explains addiction and also feelings (Beamer is a lightbulb and he has different colors depending on his feelings). I thought it was really good and I also think they have the books as video clips on the site (I’m on my iPad and you need adobe flash for the site so I can’t check) .
Other than that I don’t have any recs. I read two books with my kid and thy were really good but they weren’t in English. I bet you could just search on amazon and get a good idea of wats good from reading the reviews. Maybe Betty Ford has recs on their website.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've heard good things about the Betty Ford website, I'll go check it out. Thanks!