Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

The things A tell themselves (and you) about how they can moderate their drinking (not)

The things A tell themselves (and you) about how they can moderate their drinking (not)

Old 04-03-2018, 10:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to start this post as I saw a reference to it in another post. I will start.

1. I will only drink wine, nothing else
2. I will only drink on weekends
3. I will only have one (becomes countless)
4. I will not drink for a few months
5. I will put water in my wine (not my RAH but a family relative)
6. I will have a beer followed by a glass of water, followed by a beer....
7. I can control my drinking, see I have not drank in 2 weeks so now I can have a drink.

any others?
Old 04-04-2018, 01:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I will decant my spirits into posh crystal decanters and use expensive cut glasses to make my drinking seem more acceptable and classy...

If I cut out all the beer and cider and only drink spirits I will loose weight and be much healthier...

I will drink a litre of water every morning and declare to everyone how much water I’m drinking to convince them I’m being healthy...

if I buy a bottle of Riojca I can reminisce about holidays to Spain with the wife.. maybe even think about booking another holiday..?

If I buy a bottle of Chianti I can reminisce about holidays to Italy and impress the wife with my knowledge of Italian... maybe even think about buying a villa out there when I win the lottery..?
Old 04-04-2018, 01:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm a responsible man and do everything Im supposed to do (except stay sober) so I shouldn't have to cut down on my beer.

I'm a happy drunk, I don't need to cut down.

I only drink at home, I don't hurt anyone (whaaaattt?!) so I should be able to drink as much as I want.

At least I don't drink whiskey, then Id be a mean drunk, so you should be glad I drink beer (Im jumping with joy over here about that revelation.) I mean, how could I not be happy about that.

FWIW, he now cringes and shakes his head when he thinks about the crap he told himself, and me. He says he actually believed it, and couldn't understand why I didn't. His favorite line was the first one I listed. If I ever hear that line again Ill pull all my hair out!
Old 04-04-2018, 01:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I will not start drinking each day until noon/2pm/4pm whatever.

I will buy smaller glasses

I will change the colour of my spirits.. After all, it's dark spirits like whisky and brandy that cause a problem. Clear spirits like vodka and gin are fine.

I will dress smartly when i drink as that will make me drink less

oh endless. I did all of these and all mentioned in above posts.

They do not work. None of them. At the time i desperately hoped they would. That i could be just an "normal" drinker. Enjoy a drink or two and stop. I came eventually i accepted that i could not.

I see my husband who still drinks, doing all these things now. I observe with sadness. I remember that desperation. I now see it too as a partner living along side it. It is insane and exhausting to see, as well as do. Both sides are horrible, in my experience.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wamama48 View Post

I only drink at home, I don't hurt anyone (whaaaattt?!) so I should be able to drink as much as I want.
Of yes, this one. "I don't hurt anyone" with my drinking.

Biggest biggest lie of all. Lie to self and lie to others. I believed it at the time as does my AH now.

This disease makes such crazy, wrong thinking.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Buying smaller glasses?! ROFL

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
I will not start drinking each day until noon/2pm/4pm whatever.

I will buy smaller glasses

I will change the colour of my spirits.. After all, it's dark spirits like whisky and brandy that cause a problem. Clear spirits like vodka and gin are fine.

I will dress smartly when i drink as that will make me drink less

oh endless. I did all of these and all mentioned in above posts.

They do not work. None of them. At the time i desperately hoped they would. That i could be just an "normal" drinker. Enjoy a drink or two and stop. I came eventually i accepted that i could not.

I see my husband who still drinks, doing all these things now. I observe with sadness. I remember that desperation. I now see it too as a partner living along side it. It is insane and exhausting to see, as well as do. Both sides are horrible, in my experience.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wamama48 View Post
Buying smaller glasses?! ROFL
Hahaha!! I know. Insane. I believed it at the time. As does my AH, the wine glasses in our home are tiny! However it just means filling them up more times!
Old 04-04-2018, 02:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Using bigger ice cubes.......
Old 04-04-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

1. "There are many benefits to my drinking"
2. "Alcohol graces the conversation."
3. "Teetotalism is extreme."
Old 04-04-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Clear spirits like vodka and gin are fine.
I was a bourbon drinker at heart. I'd switch to vodka chased by seltzer when I didn't want anyone to know I was drinking... or so I thought no one would know! Oh, the craziness of it all.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I work hard, I’m the sole breadwinner, I deserve a drink to relax after work (says my AH, who considers a bottle of wine “a drink”). Weekends are my time to relax, why is it such a big deal that I’m drinking?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I drink lite beer. (Though the amount increased.)
Old 04-04-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm going to have a few beers to celebrate, because I deserve it (after 30 days sober)

I won't be drunk when you get out of work (happens often)

I won't drink at home (when confronted while drinking at home, AH: " I never said that, I would NEVER say that." Me: "uh huh...")

I said I wouldn't have mimosa's with "_____," I didn't say I was never having a mimosa again.

On a side note, I think I have PTSD around the sound of a beer can opening. I cringe when I hear the sound of it, can hear it from across town.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My heart races when I hear a beer can ring being pulled or the sound of a cork coming out of a bottle.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tannic acid in red wine makes me drunk so I'll only drink white wine.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Using bigger ice cubes.......
wowzer!!
personally i used smaller ice cubes- they took up more room in my glass so a drank less AND the added benefit of more H2o.
honestly,i drank less.
wanna buy a used car?

come to think of it, i think i just realized why my fiance rolled her eyes when i mentioned my theory to her.

come to think of it, maybe she wasnt having problems with her contacts all them times.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Ladybird579 View Post
My heart races when I hear a beer can ring being pulled or the sound of a cork coming out of a bottle.
I feel the same way!

My AXBF said to me "Coors Light has more water in it, so you stay better hydrated" - said with big eyes and a nod like he had just let me in on a big secret.

Let's hope he's right about that, he would start his day with whiskey in his coffee and then 10-20 beers a day on a slow day. More when there's company, and he ALWAYS has company over. I don't see this pattern ending well...
Old 04-04-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh goodness, just remembered when i used to drink barcardi and coke, i used to stress out about the caffeine in the coke and worry it would keep me awake. Completely missing the fact of all the adverse effects the Barcardi was having on me! Bonkers.

When AH had diabetes test recently he told the doctor he was worried that all the fresh orange juice he drinks each day could have caused the diabetes he was just diagnosed with. Again conveniently skipping over the fact that the fresh orange juice was mixed with loads of vodka!
Old 04-04-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixRising211 View Post
"Coors Light has more water in it, so you stay better hydrated" - said with big eyes and a nod like he had just let me in on a big secret.
It's better than water! It helps with your kidneys. He let me in on that secret with big eyes and a nod also. What about all your organs effected by alcohol? I cringe every time I hear a beer can open also.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hahaha!! I know. Insane. I believed it at the time. As does my AH, the wine glasses in our home are tiny! However it just means filling them up more times!

Lol

He certainly can't do that whole swirling if the wine to let it breathe

Sorry, but you gave me a good laugh and I needed it