O/T - Parents doing the Easter Bunny thing

Old 03-29-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O/T - Parents doing the Easter Bunny thing

Our first Easter as parents !

He cant even eat candy but I finally selected the his first basket and it will be filled with some toys.

Its also been 3 years since my husband and I did baskets for each other. His addiction got in the way of that simple gesture.

My MIL mailed a package and in it was a cute little suit for my son. My mom was over when I opened it and so we dressed him in it to surprise my husband when he came home from work. At first he thought my mom bought it, but then he found out his mom did. Still issues going on between then and basically no contact. He begrudgingly agreed to let my mom take a family picture while he was still in his suit for work. He only agreed so I would take that "uncomfortable suit off his son, and who would buy something so stiff for a little baby". He would have had a totally different view if my mom had bought it. HA But I sent the picture to his mom along with a couple others. Why cant people just work things out??

Any other parents, grandparents have Easter Basket stories to share? Im looking forward to a long peaceful weekend.

Calm and Candy !
Happy Weekend to Everyone !
Old 03-29-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

The first year that my oldest son was able to actually be aware of what was going on (sort of)...and we had moved into our first house with a fenced yard...we decided to hide dyed Easter eggs in the yard for him to find.....
The night before, I had my (then) husband hide them about. The next morning, we were very excited to take him outside and commence to finding eggs....
Problem. Major problem. There were no eggs to be found! The only thing was the remnants of one egg...the colored broken shells....
It seems that we had overlooked the fact that our dog..Dulcie...might eat the eggs.... Which , apparently, she did , during the night....
(Dulcie "took the fifth" when we questioned her about it).
I was horrified and deflated....so, I ran out to the local drug store and got some plastic eggs and filled them with jelly beans and hid them....
So, then, we did the...Easter Egg Hunt---Take 2.......

Much later, in the year, I found a spot in the yard where there were several buried Easter eggs.... That became Exhibit A.........
Old 03-29-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aliciagr View Post
Why cant people just work things out??
That was a nice gesture your MIL did for her grandson. You handled it correctly.

My DS 12 is allergic to nuts. This year my father and his wife finally remembered the nuts, sort of. Father's wife responded," I know grandson doesn't like nuts."
Old 03-29-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My husband still talks about the time the neighbor put the bunny suit on backwards. He was young enough to wonder why everyone was laughing.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You little one may not be able to eat candy, but that's ok. More for mom and dad!

Originally Posted by aliciagr View Post
Our first Easter as parents !

He cant even eat candy but I finally selected the his first basket and it will be filled with some toys.

Its also been 3 years since my husband and I did baskets for each other. His addiction got in the way of that simple gesture.

My MIL mailed a package and in it was a cute little suit for my son. My mom was over when I opened it and so we dressed him in it to surprise my husband when he came home from work. At first he thought my mom bought it, but then he found out his mom did. Still issues going on between then and basically no contact. He begrudgingly agreed to let my mom take a family picture while he was still in his suit for work. He only agreed so I would take that "uncomfortable suit off his son, and who would buy something so stiff for a little baby". He would have had a totally different view if my mom had bought it. HA But I sent the picture to his mom along with a couple others. Why cant people just work things out??

Any other parents, grandparents have Easter Basket stories to share? Im looking forward to a long peaceful weekend.

Calm and Candy !
Happy Weekend to Everyone !
Old 03-29-2018, 11:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You always have the funniest stories.
Originally Posted by dandylion View Post

The first year that my oldest son was able to actually be aware of what was going on (sort of)...and we had moved into our first house with a fenced yard...we decided to hide dyed Easter eggs in the yard for him to find.....
The night before, I had my (then) husband hide them about. The next morning, we were very excited to take him outside and commence to finding eggs....
Problem. Major problem. There were no eggs to be found! The only thing was the remnants of one egg...the colored broken shells....
It seems that we had overlooked the fact that our dog..Dulcie...might eat the eggs.... Which , apparently, she did , during the night....
(Dulcie "took the fifth" when we questioned her about it).
I was horrified and deflated....so, I ran out to the local drug store and got some plastic eggs and filled them with jelly beans and hid them....
So, then, we did the...Easter Egg Hunt---Take 2.......

Much later, in the year, I found a spot in the yard where there were several buried Easter eggs.... That became Exhibit A.........
Old 03-30-2018, 01:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

About three years ago my AH decided on a whim to clear the garage and go to the tip with some junk before Easter weekend - trouble was he threw out several black bin liners that I had hidden all the kids Easter eggs in!!! There must have been about 30 plus big Cadbury eggs including the little hunt ones and all the family ones I buy for my sisters kids my mum etc etc.

I discovered what he’d done only the night before when I went to get them! So HUGE panic! I drove to every supermarket that was still open and all the petrol stations looking for replacements only to find everywhere sold out or cleared away apart from Asda that had a load of discounted One Direction eggs! No offence to the band if you are a fan ... but they were made of horrible cheap chocolate.

I ended up buying all the 1D eggs they had and taking some out of the boxes to hide and melted the rest to make rice crispy cakes! Kids were not happy but once they got nice eggs from other people they didn’t really miss out on anything and saw the funny side in the end...

Every year we remember the whole disaster and talk about the nasty one direction eggs 😂😂
Old 03-30-2018, 03:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First Easter I am so excited for You!

We do majority outside toys with some candy. So bubbles, skipping ropes, soccer balls, badminton sets. One year I did a bike for the youngest. That was a bad idea with three kids who keep growing. Now the Easter bunny is expected to bring bikes despite the fact only one kid believes. No more using a new bike as something they have to earn.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh wow lots of funny stories. Especially with eggs (I love those Cadbury cream eggs by the way, and there IS a clear difference in chocolate brands). I made a new recipe for the rice krispie treats a couple weeks ago and did the peanut butter kind with chunks of peanut butter cups in there.

I would like to get a dog. Not sure when the right time is to add one and if it would be better to wait for a while? Im thinking an older dog or maybe two, but I haven't dared look at the shelter yet.

My MIL was happy I sent the pictures. It was a nice gesture on her part to send a gift. I know she feels left out but I can only do so much because of the current situation.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was looking at old pics the other day and found one of my DD dressed in a little easter dress with a bunny ear headband on at a community easter egg hunt. Wow, adorable and fun!

I think it was a nice gesture on her part to send the gift, and a nice gesture on yours to send the pics. It seems all you can do these days is lead by example, maybe your husband will one day come to peace w/his mom.

I hope you have a WONDERFUL Easter, and enjoy every moment!
Old 03-30-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a alcoholic, new to recovery. We went to a citywide egg hunt last year, but were slowpokes and didn't understand the hunt was at the beginning. DOH! Too cold now but having a "fun" day with the babe tomorrow and then a basket and a few hidden eggs on Sunday. My kiddo is 7.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't have anything meaningful to contribute ..

BUT I immediately thought of this clip -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrcDXI4cZyA

Thanks aunt Clara!
Old 03-30-2018, 07:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

nothing like the holidays ! especially when they involve costumes and trying to keep secrets from kids.

I remember marshmallows being dropped for the egg hunt by helicopter. Just tons of them going into a grassy clearing. Kids running and yelling, and the little ones - who knew what they thought about the bunny leaving marshmallows instead of eggs, and coming from air not by land.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hearthealth View Post

My DS 12 is allergic to nuts. This year my father and his wife finally remembered the nuts, sort of. Father's wife responded," I know grandson doesn't like nuts."
I inspected DS treats a few days ago. DS is also reads the labels. Some contained nuts.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hearthealth View Post
I inspected DS treats a few days ago. DS is also reads the labels. Some contained nuts.
that must be frustrating. How do they determine if a child has a peanut allergy? Do they test for it at some point? This is something I hadn't thought of and its going on my list of things for the doctor. I swear there are too many things to worry about as a parent!
Old 04-03-2018, 09:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I tried to send you a PM. He was given three nuts when he was just over two years old. His face turned red and developed hives immediately. After the event he had skin tests to determine other ingredients that he would have reacted to. Unfortunately, unless tested you don't know until exposed to it. I'm very cautious and so is he. We have a pen if we need it. Luckily we have never had another exposure in ten years. There are many things that could happen but not all our worries happen.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I didn't see a pm but thank you for sharing here. That must have been so scary when you first found out he had a peanut allergy. Im sure it gets easier as the child gets older and is able to somewhat evaluate the foods and labels on their own. Ive already asked my mom about it! She still gets a laugh out of my fearing the crib is too close to the window and perhaps lightening will run in??