Book Suggestions for adolescent children

Old 03-24-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Book Suggestions for adolescent children

Does anyone have any suggestions for books that would be good for my 11 & 12 year old sons? I'm hoping to find something that can reinforce and expand on what I teach them about our dysfunctional family of 4. Those dysfunctions are that I am just starting my recovery after a 2 year daily straight vodka binge. My DH is a recovering drug addict who has developed ridiculous anger issues and screams more than he talks, for the last 3 years . I know they need counseling and I need to remove them from this situation. That's my biggest motivation to stay sober. But, I still would love a little helps in preventing anymore damage to them.
P.S. I didn't let them consciously know how much I was drinking and today I told them I was quitting and suggested Alateen so they can talk to someone about how they feel about me drinking. They weren't interested and said that it didn't bother them if I had a drink. So I, I'm not sure if they realize how serious my problem is or not. My husband has told me that they've confided to him multiple times how much it bothers them. But he's also mildly allergic to telling the truth.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time!

Sorry I don't have any book suggestions but I really think the Ala-teen suggestion is solid and I would recommend persuading your kids to attend.

They probably don't even realize how the family dysfunction has affected them as to them it is normal.

It's a great idea and if there is any way for you to really encourage them to attend, it would be a great starting point.