Recovering after emotional abuse

Old 03-17-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering after emotional abuse

I have read the sticky' son abuse here. I atleast understand what was happening. It really doesn't matter which came first- abuse or alcohol. At the end of the day, I will never know. All I know is that abuse is abuse and he doesn't get a pass for it for having a disease. My question is how to deal with the aftermath and how do I recover from this PTSD and stop that tape from playing in my head. It's exhausting
Old 03-17-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know if one can completely get over PTSD. It might be eased one day at a time by focusing on yourself with the help of a counselor.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This book: The Body Keeps the Score by Dr. Bessel Van Der Kolk has some great evidence based practices for treating PTSD. Plus, it's a page-turner as a book, just a really great read.
Peace,
B
Old 03-19-2018, 12:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I I believe I have that issue too. Can't be in the same room very long, can't have him within 5 feet of me, absolutely can't be touched by him. I don't think this is something you can do on your own. Its a serious thing and can really mess up your feelings of safety, security and happiness. Please seek out help. There is hope though! As you begin to feel safer, and/or are able to start trusting, those issues gradually fade. But don't rush it! There's no use torturing yourself. Just work on you and the rest will fall into place.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Chandi.....recovering from abuse requires help from professionals who are experienced in this area. Not just a general counselor or therapist....but, someone with special training and experience.....

Have you ever sought this out...?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Chandi.....recovering from abuse requires help from professionals who are experienced in this area. Not just a general counselor or therapist....but, someone with special training and experience.....

Have you ever sought this out...?
I am looking for one now. Have contacted a psychologist. She is highly trained at it but is busy. She has no appointments available immediately but has me on her list
Old 03-19-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another option to explore might be CODA. This program might help you ditch the unwarranted guilt and the power his past verbal abuse hold over you.

BB
Old 03-19-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have dealt with PTSD - you do need to find a therapist that specializes in that and I would recommend finding one who practices EMDR. I had great results using that therapy. It is recommended by the VA for treating PTSD for war veterans.

The studies on EMDR are mixed, but I had a good result from it. If you try it and it isn't really working for you - it won't hurt anything. Having that as an extra option along with traditional therapy I think will be helpful and if it works for you could help you heal from/process the PTSD faster.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
This book: The Body Keeps the Score by Dr. Bessel Van Der Kolk has some great evidence based practices for treating PTSD. Plus, it's a page-turner as a book, just a really great read.
Peace,
B
The title alone is fascinating! I always use to say that sooner or later my body wouldn't be able to keep up with the façade that I was OK. I most definitely wasn't, and my body reminded me of it daily.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have had PTSD and went to a counselor who pointed out that fact after she asked about my childhood. I didn't even realize it til she pointed it out. Anyways....she was big on EMDR which I tried, but wasn't crazy about.

For myself I have discovered things in my life that I already know how to do that are cathartic for me so I tapped into those more: exercise, walking outdoors, breathing fresh air, meditation, prayer, reading, arts and crafts, writing, music. Not neccesarily in that order.

I also highly believe in pet therapy. DOGS in particular are a constant steady presence for helping people feel love, devotion, safety.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
My emotional baggage

Chandi,

I dealt with PTSD issues for a couple years after leaving my abusive AXH. I have done therapy that used EMDR and did feel that for certain things it really did work like magic for me.

But I think for me, what helped the most was working with counselor and others in my life that helped me desensitize to the triggers I had. Talk about it. Don't keep it a secret. You were not at fault. It took a counselor stopping me one time and saying, "You know you were an abused wife, don't you?" For me to even think of myself in that context.

And time. It doesn't feel good to hear, that it takes time when you are deep in PTSD but if you work on it, it does start to get better.

Thinking of you, You Can Do This.

4MyBoys