Worried and stressed

Old 03-02-2018, 11:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried and stressed

My boyfriend of a year is an alcoholic. He freely admits to it. But he's says he doesn't want to stop drinking. He was pretty bad when we met. He was drinking around 10 to 15 25oz beers a day. Sleeping most of it. He slowed down for awhile only drinking about 3 or 4. He was somewhat active and fun to be around. The last 2 weeks here has been complaining if dizziness and weak. But he only gets it of his chair to get beer or use the bathroom. He's now back to drinking around 8 to 10 of the big ones and says he doesn't drink that much. He sleeps about 12to14 hours. He refused to do anything. He has started asking me to even go to the store for him to get his beer. He says if i care, i will go get his beer. It might be important to say he is intellectually impaired. He lies a lot about everything. He says he's not "buzzing" when he's clearly intoxicated. I am sick with stress and i feel like there is only one solution and that is to leave him. I love him and i worry but all he thinks is that nobody cares. I've tried talking but either he doesn't understand (due to his disability) or I'm just having an excuse for why he doesn't seem to understand. He now sitting in a separate room all day and night. We haven't slept together in the same bed in over 6 months. We don't go anywhere together except to the store for him to get beer. He doesn't have a license so i have to drive him. I just don't know what to do anymore. I just want to have my boyfriend as a boyfriend, not just a roommate.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Novaqayn, Welcome to SR!

I am sorry for what brings you here, but very happy that you have found us. In all likelihood, your BF is telling you the truth. *He* does not have a problem with his drinking. *You* do have a problem with his drinking.

I wish I could tell you some magic thing to do or say that will get your BF to realize what he is doing to himself, but sadly, there is no such thing. He will have to want to quit for himself when he is tired of living this way. That decision has to come from within.

I won't tell you what you should do, but if it were me, I would not buy his beer for him at the store. For me, it would be like providing someone with the ammunition for the gun with which they were trying to shoot themselves. It's why I don't give cash to homeless people.

I hope you will take some time to read the threads here, and especially the posts pinned to the top of this sub-forum. They contain a lot of valuable information and reading for newcomers.

I really am so sorry for what you are going through! But you have found a place where people really do get it...hang in there!
Old 03-03-2018, 01:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Novaqayn View Post
My boyfriend of a year is an alcoholic. He freely admits to it. But he's says he doesn't want to stop drinking. He was pretty bad when we met.
But he only gets it of his chair to get beer or use the bathroom.
He sleeps about 12 to 14 hours. He refused to do anything. He has started asking me to even go to the store for him to get his beer.
He lies a lot about everything. He says he's not "buzzing" when he's clearly intoxicated.
He now sitting in a separate room all day and night. We haven't slept together in the same bed in over 6 months. We don't go anywhere together except to the store for him to get beer.
And yet, Nova, here you are, a year later...what has kept you with him all this time? What are you getting from this "relationship"?

I just want to have my boyfriend as a boyfriend, not just a roommate.
From what you've posted here, I don't know that this has EVER been the situation. You are a resource to him, nothing more. He uses you as a taxi service, and now as an alcohol delivery/purchase service. He sleeps 12-14 hours a day and sits in a chair the rest of the time. He lies. You have not shared a bed in 6 months, which is half the time you've spent together!!! Is that anywhere near your definition of a "boyfriend"? If a friend told you a story like this, would you encourage her to stay, or would you wonder what on earth she was thinking by being involved w/someone like this?

I am not an expert, and so can't comment on his "mental disability", but I most certainly CAN say that you are not in any way obligated to this man. He seems to have found some way to get alcohol and to live before you came along, and if you vanished off the face of the earth today, I can pretty much guarantee you he'd find a way to meet his needs again--he's NOT going to wither and die without you, whatever you may believe.

Read around the forum here. Make sure to look at the stickies at the top of the page. Get yourself to an Alanon meeting. Once you've educated yourself about alcoholism, I think (and hope!) things may start to look different to you.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nova, I just read another post from you over in the "Newcomers" forum, and it seems there is quite a lot you left out of your post here, including your own likely alcoholism and the fact that you have been drinking daily throughout most of your time w/your ABF. Quoted from your other thread:

I would be drinking and run out of beer. I would him up a cup with what beer i had and drive to the store to get more... With my kids in the car, then ages 1 and 2 (they are a year and a half apart) and i was 21. One of my friends told me how i could lose my children by doing so and i realized what was more important, my children. I then only drank when someone was able to babysit. I slowed down quite a bit, but still drank at every chance. I got divorced and it got worse. When the children were gone to their dads, i would be at a bar nearly every night. I would be careless and try to go home with just about anybody.
I have an entirely different understanding of your thread here now that I have a more complete picture of the situation.

People will be able to help you much more effectively if you are forthcoming and honest, rather than only presenting selected pieces of information.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes. I agree. I'm so worked up on trying to help my BF that I left out so much info. That's why i posted it. I don't see it as a problem but thinking about it now, it may be. Thank you
Old 03-03-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Novaqayn View Post
But he's says he doesn't want to stop drinking.
As it relates to your BF, this is the only important piece of your post.

You cannot give someone else the willingness to change. If you are unhappy with your relationship as it stands today, you are going to have to be the one to make changes, whatever that means.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It seems to me that you may get the best results from working on your OWN situation rather than concerning yourself so much with your ABF.

Are your children living with you and this man, or are they with someone else? It sounds as if they would still be too young to have moved out on their own.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
It seems to me that you may get the best results from working on your OWN situation rather than concerning yourself so much with your ABF.

Are your children living with you and this man, or are they with someone else? It sounds as if they would still be too young to have moved out on their own.
No my children are adults now. 21 and 22. They are out on their own.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear that they are not involved in the current situation.

And this helps to put some perspective on how long these issues with alcohol have been in your life.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I'm glad to hear that they are not involved in the current situation.

And this helps to put some perspective on how long these issues with alcohol have been in your life.
I started at 16 and I am not 42. It's been a long ride. One i want to get off and stay off.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Update

Well, my boyfriend almost died. He was sick and throwing up, dizzy, and was just not right. My cousin came over and finally got him to go to hospital. They checked his blood and his hemoglobin was 2.6 ... It's supposed to be around 13. Everyone in the emergency room was shocked that it was that low and he was walking. He ended up getting 6 units of blood and 3 days in the hospital. Went thru bad withdrawals for the first 2 days. He has now been alcohol free since March 4th. It was the scariest thing i had to deal with. But he's doing great and has said he doesn't want to drink now. It scared him too.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

goodness, wishing all of you good recovery!
Old 03-19-2018, 04:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
goodness, wishing all of you good recovery!
Thank you