Hes starting AA-I dont want him to

Old 03-04-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thank you! I feel like Im doing something wrong because I cant let it go right now. I am truly, honestly trying! Im reading this forum and the stickies, I reading Al Anon material, Ive set up a counseling appointment. Im not doing it to punish him, I realize its punishing me. So there's all this material and advice on letting it go, stop expecting etc. But Im not there, I cant find a way to do it. So your post made me feel better. Im not failing at this, maybe I just need some time.
Originally Posted by aliciagr View Post
I was thinking about the time frame for healing these past few days.

When you wrote: I DO want to let it go. I'm miserable with it. But I'm stuck, I don't know how. Thats what Ive told RAH, Im stuck where I'm at right now.

I had to give myself time. Initially in our situation there was what I will call a stage of shock and things were dismal. I couldn't resolve my feelings until things began to settle down, as in home life became more stable. There is a time for being selfish in recovery on both sides, but the recovery for our family/relationship took working with my husband simply by talking and sharing going on between us. It had to be done at a pace we were both comfortable with so my suggestion is to not assume what he needs or wants, but simply ask. Likewise, when you know what you need or want, or even if you are conflicted its ok to share it with him. This is between the 2 of you. Each of you deciding what you need as individuals and then joining together in a way that works for you both.

I also would like to share my thoughts on this: I expect a relapse(s?) I can deal with that. Progress, not perfection. What matters is if he gets back up and keeps going. If he chooses not to keep going, 110% I am done

Relapse isn't a deal breaker for me because it depends on how its handled. I agree progress, not perfection. Picking up and keep going.

But one caution I want to add. Since the title of your thread was about concerns over AA, and there have been many testimonies to the program. I want to say be careful not to make too strong a correlation between your husbands reliance/attendance on AA and recovery. They are not mutually exclusive. Its really a small number of people who use it consistently. I found an interesting study a while back when my husband was exploring AA. Most of the studies show that attendance and reliance drops significantly in the first year. But the good news is that it seems those with lower grade substance use disorder are the ones who cut back or stop. Those with more significant addictions tend to go longer and with more frequency. ( If you want to see that study send me a pm and I will try to find it again).

Here on the family forum its usually discussed as if one is simply an alcoholic or not. I really wanted to share this because right now you may question the importance of AA, but later if he decides to stop or not go often then it may bring up new fears. Ive had to learn to look at recovery in a broad lens and I see it through attitude, actions, sharing of thoughts and feelings, reliability, trust building and all these very positive things. Its not really about what option is being used to accomplish this.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

UPDATE TO MY ORIGINAL POST. Thank you everyone for helping me. I would be a sobbing, depressed mess without you, but instead Im learning how to detach and not be a sobbing depressed mess. I now see the importance of AA and him being very involved in his recovery. A few things posters said that helped.....its not the program that requires them to be selfish while focusing on recovery, its recovery. And someone else asked me if I'd rather he be selfish and drinking who knows how long, or if Id rather he be selfish for a little longer while he recovers? Those two things, among many others hit me in the right way.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wamama48 View Post
Thank you! I feel like Im not doing something wrong because I cant let it go right now. I am truly, honestly trying! Im reading this forum and the stickies, I reading Al Anon material, Ive set up a counseling appointment. Im not doing it to punish him, I realize its punishing me. So there's all this material and advice on letting it go, stop expecting etc. But Im not there, I cant find a way to do it. So your post made me feel better. Im not failing at this, maybe I just need some time.
Your not failing ! It seems like your doing the same thing I did. Searching for answers, looking at concepts and ideas. This site barely touches on the info that is out there for family. Im so happy your going to try counseling too. It was hard for me to take that step, but I felt so confused and I needed a 1:1 where I could get into the specifics of my life, and what I was feeling. What was going on in my home and with my husband. Your Trying ! Its a wonderful thing ! Each step you take My belief is that you will get stronger IN yourself. This is about you, and what works to make you feel better. Cyber hugs !
Old 03-04-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

UPDATE TO MY ORIGINAL POST. Thank you everyone for helping me. I would be a sobbing, depressed mess without you, but instead Im learning how to detach and not be a sobbing depressed mess. I now see the importance of AA and him being very involved in his recovery. A few things posters said that helped.....its not the program that requires them to be selfish while focusing on recovery, its recovery. And someone else asked me if I'd rather he be selfish and drinking who knows how long, or if Id rather he be selfish for a little longer while he recovers? Those two things, among many others hit me in the right way.
Feeling rejected sucks, especially after going through so much and having so much hope of "normalcy". Maybe it's time for you to be "selfish" too.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Thank you for the encouragement.
😍
Your not failing ! It seems like your doing the same thing I did. Searching for answers, looking at concepts and ideas. This site barely touches on the info that is out there for family. Im so happy your going to try counseling too. It was hard for me to take that step, but I felt so confused and I needed a 1:1 where I could get into the specifics of my life, and what I was feeling. What was going on in my home and with my husband. Your Trying ! Its a wonderful thing ! Each step you take My belief is that you will get stronger IN yourself. This is about you, and what works to make you feel better. Cyber hugs !
Old 03-04-2018, 08:50 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I don't think there will ever be any kind of normalcy when it comes to dealing with an alcoholic.
Originally Posted by Clover71 View Post
Feeling rejected sucks, especially after going through so much and having so much hope of "normalcy". Maybe it's time for you to be "selfish" too.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:53 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Yes I think we share that feeling of searching for answers.
So far they are elusive, but I hope to find them in time. I'm tired of the whole alcoholism subject in general. Its exhausting and wasting my limited brain energy right now lol
Old 03-05-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I think if your husband agreed to move out and respected your wishes about that you'd feel a whole lot better and be able to process things and move forward better. As he hasn't and he won't you are having to overcome that massive feeling of anger and resentment on top of everything else and are probably wondering just how committed he is to your happiness in the marriage. Which is understandable and I felt the same way. I'v e no easy answers. In my case my exah wasn't committed to anyone's happiness but his own. It was ALL about HIM. I found I could only heal once we are apart. I think many posters here have found that themselves.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

You're exactly right! I can't explain the exact reason why he needs to leave for me to heal, I just know he does.

Interesting situation coming up that should be revealing.....He's leaving Thursday to stay at my daughter's house for 4 days to fix stuff. She lives 1 1/2 hours away. My daughter is visiting our house that day. He doesn't want to ride to her house with them. Our son in law will be there and he can't stand him (no one can)

Our youngest daughter will also be visiting that day. She lives 2 hours away and will go right by our other daughters house on her way home. He doesn't want to ride with her and friends. Yeah, locked in a car for 90 min with 3 21 year old girls would be miserable.

He can just suck it up! I get panicky and tense in the car with him. He hasn't asked me to drive him there, just says he doesn't want the other 2 options. We will see if he chooses my comfort over his.

Originally Posted by Ladybird579 View Post
I think if your husband agreed to move out and respected your wishes about that you'd feel a whole lot better and be able to process things and move forward better. As he hasn't and he won't you are having to overcome that massive feeling of anger and resentment on top of everything else and are probably wondering just how committed he is to your happiness in the marriage. Which is understandable and I felt the same way. I'v e no easy answers. In my case my exah wasn't committed to anyone's happiness but his own. It was ALL about HIM. I found I could only heal once we are apart. I think many posters here have found that themselves.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Just remember that NO is a complete sentence
Old 03-05-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

You're exactly right! I can't explain the exact reason why he needs to leave for me to heal, I just know he does.
And you don't need to explain this - many of us just "get it". Time & space helped me tremendously for my personal recovery - I needed to be able to go beyond detaching for awhile & just disengage fully in order to focus on me & be able to then circle back to detachment.... if that makes sense?....

Detachment requires some compassion that I just didn't have in the early recovery days. I was too raw. We were waging war on the same demon but had different languages, solutions & needs. He'd been fully selfish in his addiction & now he was required to be as selfish in recovery while I continued on, raising kid, paying bills, showing up in life in all kinds of ways that couldn't stop for both of us. When we were separated I had a more complete freedom - my schedule, my house, my space was all MINE fully & completely. I had control over our interactions (timing, duration) and the distance helped me get clarity that I could never get to with the constant roaring of day-to-day life with him.

It was one of the ways I had to get selfish in recovery, but at first I fought against it because it seemed so counterintuitive to fixing anything. I think it's HUGE that you sense the value in this!
Old 03-05-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

You don't have to know the reason why he needs to leave for you to heal -- we get it. It's like trying to recover from a sunburn in a hundred-degree heat, naked and without sunscreen. You're just going to keep feeding that burn.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

It took me a full minute to figure out what you meant lol NO, as in "I owe you no explanation as to why I won't drive you", correct? Oh I'm a smart girl, I'm starting to catch on! I'm so excited, I might get unstuck now.
Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Just remember that NO is a complete sentence

Last edited by Wamama48; 03-05-2018 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Because I spell like a first grader
Old 03-06-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Thank you! I feel like Im doing something wrong because I cant let it go right now. I am truly, honestly trying! Im reading this forum and the stickies, I reading Al Anon material, Ive set up a counseling appointment. Im not doing it to punish him, I realize its punishing me. So there's all this material and advice on letting it go, stop expecting etc. But Im not there, I cant find a way to do it. So your post made me feel better. Im not failing at this, maybe I just need some time.
It's a process, it takes practice to change a habitual way of thinking. For me it was two steps forward, one back.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Just throwing in my 2 cents for what it's worth. Treatment centers often perpetuate the idea that one needs to be "selfish" in recovery. But AA...as outlined by its founders...encourages the opposite of this. Becoming more selfless, being accountable and responsible, admitting faults and making amends, helping others....these are the tenets of AA.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:51 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear that.
All I've heard about recovery is that the person has to make it their top priority. I'm glad AA encourages becoming selfLESS. I'm not seeing that so far, but I'm sure he doesn't share everything and that's ok. I repeat 100 times a day....I'm happy he's getting help, I'm happy he's getting help....

Originally Posted by Lindajean68 View Post
Just throwing in my 2 cents for what it's worth. Treatment centers often perpetuate the idea that one needs to be "selfish" in recovery. But AA...as outlined by its founders...encourages the opposite of this. Becoming more selfless, being accountable and responsible, admitting faults and making amends, helping others....these are the tenets of AA.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi W, I just want to reinforce what others have said that the letting go of the anger is a process. A long process. If you are not okay with what is going on, that is ok. Let those feelings come and let them go . . . . .and if you are like me those yuck feelings keep coming back again and again.

A monk once told me that the first step in forgiveness was admitting that you are not ready to forgive. Not being ready is ok.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:53 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear that.
All I've heard about recovery is that the person has to make it their top priority. I'm glad AA encourages becoming selfLESS. I'm not seeing that so far, but I'm sure he doesn't share everything and that's ok. I repeat 100 times a day....I'm happy he's getting help, I'm happy he's getting help....
Haha! I really feel for you and your situation. Honestly, my view is that A LOT of people in AA don't really understand the program. There is a lot of bad information shared and a lot of twisted views of how the program is supposed to work. Yes, I agree, I have to make my recovery a priority. BUT my recovery involves thinking less of myself and more of others, reaching out to others who need me (not just other alcoholics), being responsible for my actions and accountable to those around me, being HONEST, making amends for the hurt I have caused.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Sorry....just adding to my post above. When AA was founded, there were no rehabs or halfway houses, etc. People got sober within their home environments and were encouraged to focus on righting the wrongs they had done IN THOSE ENVIRONMENTS.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I like that monk! Yes we are alike, those feeling keep popping up when you think they are mostly worked through. I thought I'd be ok to touch him for 1 literal minute. He had a tiny tick on him, I pulled it off. Next thing I know I was crying and rubbing my fingers where I touched him. I just had to do that, for 10 minutes. I was mad at ME and told him I shouldn't get this worked up over touching a man I've loved for 20 years! He said he was sorry and I went to bed. Yes, its a process.
Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Hi W, I just want to reinforce what others have said that the letting go of the anger is a process. A long process. If you are not okay with what is going on, that is ok. Let those feelings come and let them go . . . . .and if you are like me those yuck feelings keep coming back again and again.

A monk once told me that the first step in forgiveness was admitting that you are not ready to forgive. Not being ready is ok.