Narcotics anon

Old 02-25-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Narcotics anon

I was asked by my son to present him with his one year coin in narc. Anon. I am honored but unsure whgat to say and long I speak, etc. Can anyone advise? Thank you.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome Lindltn. good on your son for 1 year clean.im sure you feel honored, however, having someone outside of the rooms go to a meeting to hand out the coin and speak - i have never heard that and ive been to quite a few meetings. typically, the addict practices humility and just lets the chairperson or their sponsor give them the coin without a speech. typically by one year the addict has been working the steps and knows some about humility- having someone come to a meeting and speak about the person receiving the coin- thats a wee bit ego centric.
i called my sponsor at something like the 7 year anniversary. was wanting to tell him it was my anniversary.
"good, but if you are expecting a pat on the back for living the way you should have all along you wont get it from me."
i was letting pride and ego run a wee bit and he pulled me back down to earth.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've seen family give a coin, but not any speech.

I don't think you'll be asked to speak. If you are, how about just, "I'm Betty, thanks for having me. I'm grateful my son is sober today."