Not sure what quacking is...

Old 02-18-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure what quacking is...

Could someone please post a definition? And a couple examples, explaining them? I’ve seen a few lists but still don’t get the basic concept.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please see quackers part three for examples.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The way it's used here is as reference to some of the ridiculous (often in hindsight) things friends and family of addicts have heard their addicted loved one say.

The Quackers thread is full of examples.

It's not my favorite term, but that thread has provided some deeply necessary laughs over difficult situations for a lot of folks on this forum.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Quacking is the term for the ridiculous things alcoholics say and expect others to believe. It's just blah-blah-blah, basically.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-3-a.html (QUACKERs.... Part 3)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sailorgirl...basically, it includes all of the crazy. illogical, stuff that spews out of an alcoholic's mouth.......it covers a lot of territory...lol.....
Look for the Quacker's thread, and you will see pages of examples...

The term comes from us picturing a duck that is quacking loudly...every time this impossible, crazy stuff comes out of their mouth....
Another technique (similar), is to picture them with a big "S" on their forehead, whenever they say stupid or untrue stuff. "S" stands for sick.
What this does is---helps us to detach from their craziness and not engage with them. This helps us to avoid spinning our wheels in senseless arguments....and defending ourselves.....It helps us to save our own breath and our own sanity.....
I big tool in helping us to DETACH....
Old 02-18-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's not how we mean it here aboveangel.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

We used a lot of humor around 15 years ago on the family and friend's forums. Laughing was good for us and it helped us cope. We made up stories and had fun. One of the stories led to the term "Quacking" to define the language the addicts use in active addiction. It ended up helping us develop boundaries when our loved one would call and start blaming us or asking for help for things they should be responsible for.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Morning Glory.....I so think that humor can be such a healing tool......Sometimes, it is the only thing that gets us through the really rough times....And, sometimes we can see things through humor that we can't even look at, without it....
Plus....laughing can actually change the chemistry in our brain...at least, for a little while....And, it can remove us from the sources of our pain...at leas. for a little while.....
This is why I love the "Recovery Follies" forum---located at the bottom of all the other forums..........
I wish/hope for more p eople to check it out!! The more, the merrier......
Old 02-18-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok, starting to get it. Yes, thanks. I thought it was from “if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a duck.”

This helps. The other night when XABF called me late at night, drunk, saying “I’m not an alcoholic I just like the flavor of it” I remember thinking, this must be what quacking is, lol.

And yes, you better believe humor is a great tool for healing! I love the thread “things we know that Normies don’t know” I read it and I laughed and laughed and laughed! It felt good! Also makes his behavior less scary and less important.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sailorgirl57 View Post
Ok, starting to get it. Yes, thanks. I thought it was from “if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a duck.”

This helps. The other night when XABF called me late at night, drunk, saying “I’m not an alcoholic I just like the flavor of it” I remember thinking, this must be what quacking is, lol.

And yes, you better believe humor is a great tool for healing! I love the thread “things we know that Normies don’t know” I read it and I laughed and laughed and laughed! It felt good! Also makes his behavior less scary and less important.
Yes, that's quacking!

I love the "things we know that normies don't know" thread too.

Humour along this journey is a great help, I find. Takes a lot of the sting out of situations.

I agree it makes the behaviours less scary and less important.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I’m still laughing about this quack...we were walking home from a night out, and ABF was drunk and stumbling on his feet. His comment was, “the factory must have made a mistake when they made these shoes. The soles are wobbly and not letting me stand on them firmly.” HAHAHAHAHA!

Oh bless his heart!
Old 02-19-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sailorgirl....bless his heart indeed...ha! I just cracked up over that one!

When I first came here I thought the term quacking was degrading and a bit mean. However, being on the receiving end, it's definitely a laugh or cry situation, and for myself, having this forum, and the quackers thread, helped me disengage and to laugh. I desperately needed (and still do need) lots of laughter in my life.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
We used a lot of humor around 15 years ago on the family and friend's forums. Laughing was good for us and it helped us cope. We made up stories and had fun. One of the stories led to the term "Quacking" to define the language the addicts use in active addiction. It ended up helping us develop boundaries when our loved one would call and start blaming us or asking for help for things they should be responsible for.
I think we need to bring back the humor more often, if you ask me!! Black hole jokes, anyone??
Old 02-19-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We need new recipes for Canard a l'orange.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you can't beat 'em, eat 'em!!!