Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Are there happy endings /success stories of AH's recovering and staying sober?

Are there happy endings /success stories of AH's recovering and staying sober?

Old 02-12-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

In going to countless meetings over the years I heard AA says roughly 5% stay sober. A friend who works in a rehab says their figure is 10%.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Important Response

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
I believe there are many success stories, but we rarely hear about them on these pages.
That is very true, there are many success stories but they don't show up here very much.
This a great site to learn about the wreckage, the disease and lots of support to leave a harmful situation. I have leaned on it for that. However this thread about success stories is so important!

There are people who recover and go on to live happy lives, co-dependents and substance abusers alike, I have seen them, I have met them. It's wonderful and they go on to help others.

Personally I have never had that miracle but it's important to know it does exist.
Thanks,
Old 02-12-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am fortunate as my wife and I both know 3 couples that have managed to make their marriages survive their addictions.... but we also know of many that did not. It takes work by both parties... I know I have struggled with overcoming my wife's addiction... but i am working on that.. while she works on her. Only time will tell if our marriage survives happily.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Read here. https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/stories-recovery/
Old 02-12-2018, 02:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
In going to countless meetings over the years I heard AA says roughly 5% stay sober. A friend who works in a rehab says their figure is 10%.
This doesn't count all those that do recovery on their own, or outside AA walls. While I'm doing AA, I think their "statistics" are pretty heavy leaning. There is hope.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So the reality is that over 50% of marriages in the USA end in divorce... I am sure some of those are due to addiction... but another source I read (just a journal article, so take it for what it is worth) says that divorces amongst marriages with addicts are 4 times more likely. So the odds are not good anyway you look at it.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Oh, but to put the glass is half full positive spin on it.. it means about 50% of all marriages survive in general.... 25% for those for addicts.... So, not bad at all.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I think rebuilding trust when it’s been broken is not dependent on the person who has broken it or how many times they can prove they are honest. It depends on the person who has decided not to trust anymore.

Though you may be totally justified in your decision not to trust, as long as you choose not to, the relationship has no hope of survival. When you do decide to trust again, there is hope.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good point

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
I think rebuilding trust when it’s been broken is not dependent on the person who has broken it or how many times they can prove they are honest. It depends on the person who has decided not to trust anymore.

Though you may be totally justified in your decision not to trust, as long as you choose not to, the relationship has no hope of survival. When you do decide to trust again, there is hope.
That is a good point, I have never looked at it that way. It is actually something my EAB has said. For me there is no way to choose trust until I work through the anger/resentment. I may not make it but I'm still open. At the end of the day, all I can control is my choices and it's my journey.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aliciagr View Post
This journey I have been on with my husband has led me in a lot of directions and I believe there are a lot of success stories - however - I think the majority of people want to go back to normal life and they just dont talk about it a lot. There is still a lot of shame associated with substance abuse issues, even if a person overcomes the problem.
This times 1000. I never knew who I could trust. First, it was because I was the wife of an alcoholic. Then I was the mom who moved her kids to the inlaws when they were young. Then I was the wife/mom who was getting a divorce. It just felt like it was something for other people to gossip about, and I was just like invisible.

It meant the world to me when an admin on a Divorced Mom Support Group told another mom to back off from me after that mom went after me for moving my kids to the inlaws (it was a painful decision--it was three years of my life commuting long distances on the weekends to see my kids, and I called them everyday to see how my kids were doing).

I love the show This is Us. It is like so raw about how they talk about addictions. I am really hoping either Justin Hartley or Milo Ventimiglia will be up next year for Emmys. I love the character of Rebecca (Mandy Moore's character) because she gives me hope and she is so real.

I am still healing though and still getting through it while dealing with other issues in my life
Old 02-13-2018, 11:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post

It depends on both parties. One cannot trust if the trust is continually broken, promises are made and continually broken, old wounds are continually reopened. Yes the non-A must learn to trust again but it is sheer stupidity to open themselves up again if the A has made no progress and continues to do what they have always done.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Givenup2018 View Post
It depends on both parties. One cannot trust if the trust is continually broken, promises are made and continually broken, old wounds are continually reopened. Yes the non-A must learn to trust again but it is sheer stupidity to open themselves up again if the A has made no progress and continues to do what they have always done.
I totally agree. My AW has made so many empty promises over the years, and continues to do so. It's pretty much to the point where I don;t believe a word that passes over her lips.

Coupled with the fact that she continues to drink, and sees no issue with her drinking, that has led me to where I am today.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

This doesn't count all those that do recovery on their own, or outside AA walls. While I'm doing AA, I think their "statistics" are pretty heavy leaning.
AA's numbers can be misleading. I should have only cited rehab figures of 10%, which don't specify the route to recovery. The rehab figures don't apply to "happy endings/marriages" of course, and I'm sure no one has tried to tally them. Since getting sober 26 years ago I've known a handful of marriages intact from before recovery began.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

One cannot trust if the trust is continually broken, promises are made and continually broken, old wounds are continually reopened.
I know for me I give someone 1 more chance but no more after they have repeated that same behavior. This is when I CHOOSE NOT to trust again and without trust there really is no healthy kind of relationship left.

Yes the non-A must learn to trust again but it is sheer stupidity to open themselves up again if the A has made no progress and continues to do what they have always done.
I totally agree! And this is when we need to asses far more then trust with that relationship.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:44 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PrettyViolets View Post
This times 1000. I never knew who I could trust. First, it was because I was the wife of an alcoholic. Then I was the mom who moved her kids to the inlaws when they were young. Then I was the wife/mom who was getting a divorce. It just felt like it was something for other people to gossip about, and I was just like invisible.

It meant the world to me when an admin on a Divorced Mom Support Group told another mom to back off from me after that mom went after me for moving my kids to the inlaws (it was a painful decision--it was three years of my life commuting long distances on the weekends to see my kids, and I called them everyday to see how my kids were doing).

I love the show This is Us. It is like so raw about how they talk about addictions. I am really hoping either Justin Hartley or Milo Ventimiglia will be up next year for Emmys. I love the character of Rebecca (Mandy Moore's character) because she gives me hope and she is so real.

I am still healing though and still getting through it while dealing with other issues in my life
Ive heard a lot about this show but havent watched it yet. I was recently thinking about starting a binge watch.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Update on my life

I won’t claim this as a happy ending because we are still in the early stages, but I felt compelled to post an update that my husband has been sober for two years now and our lives are completely different than they were before. We both went through intensive therapy independently and together. We are slowly working on rebuilding trust. I had a lot of work to do on my own codependency issues. I finally feel like I have let go of his alcoholism as my problem. He’s tending to it and I’m tending to myself and my marriage. It’s so hard to understand this in the beginning.

Who knows what lies ahead for us and for him but I know that I feel stronger than I ever have before by taking one day at a time and realizing I’m only responsible for myself (and my kids). The book Codependency No More and therapy saved me.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by Hope4chng View Post
I won’t claim this as a happy ending because we are still in the early stages, but I felt compelled to post an update that my husband has been sober for two years now and our lives are completely different than they were before. We both went through intensive therapy independently and together. We are slowly working on rebuilding trust. I had a lot of work to do on my own codependency issues. I finally feel like I have let go of his alcoholism as my problem. He’s tending to it and I’m tending to myself and my marriage. It’s so hard to understand this in the beginning.

Who knows what lies ahead for us and for him but I know that I feel stronger than I ever have before by taking one day at a time and realizing I’m only responsible for myself (and my kids). The book Codependency No More and therapy saved me.
Thank you for the update, it definitely is positive nourishment for my soul. Got my day of giving thanks off to a great start. Here is an update back at you.

Not much different, more of same as below, only even better still, life is as good as I let it be :~)
Originally Posted by nez View Post
I have 15 years of recovery and my wife and I are still together. Our marriage has never been better. It took work, on both our parts, but today there is no question that it has been worth it. Best friends, lovers, enjoying growing older together hand in hand. Wouldn't change a thing. The bliss of today trumps the pain of yesterday.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:58 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope4chng View Post

Ah Hope, that is so so good to hear. I do know some marriages make it if the work on codependency and alcoholism is done.

Thanks for giving an update on what happened with you both.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

The problem with success stories is that people use them as their own personal drug to rationalize horrible decisions to stay with their alcoholics/addicts. We will, like a betting addiction, take 100-1 odds against and say to ourselves, "we have a chance..." For the love of God...
Old 12-02-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
The problem with success stories is that people use them as their own personal drug to rationalize horrible decisions to stay with their alcoholics/addicts. We will, like a betting addiction, take 100-1 odds against and say to ourselves, "we have a chance..." For the love of God...
If that is what someone is looking for, then that is what they will find.

I liken it to a google search. How to heal my alcoholic Husband vs - what is the recovery rate for alcoholism. Or, how can I make my Husband stop drinking vs how can I make my life the best it can be.

Critical thinking needs to be employed. I think SR can be a good source for some balanced experience and information.

Behind each of these success stories is years of hard work. I remember someone commenting a few weeks ago that they had read a success story thread and why can that not apply to them?

Well it certainly can but it's important to also take in to account the 17 years of alcoholism hell the person got through first and then the X number of years of recovery that had to be gotten through as well.