OT/Dealing w/unwanted gift

Old 01-31-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This thread has made me realize two things:
1) My dad is a pretty darn good guy, and
2) The folks here at SR are pretty good too!

I was feeling so stressed when I first posted, and I feel so much better now, having had several good laughs and a ton of good advice from my friends here.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You guys are the greatest!
Old 01-31-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

I had to google this too. What is an instant pot?!? Now that I've seen it, I wish I haven't. The 9-1 sounds great and I have no room for it.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

In the old days, we called them pressure cookers......
Old 01-31-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Maybe it will turn out to be one of those “strangely wrapped gifts” that Ann over in Whiners talks about sometimes?
The only things my mother wants to give me are junky stuff .
Your post reminded me of something tho, HP.
Mom had a pressure cooker, the old fashioned kind that looked like a stew pot with a handle and a little pressure weight that chittered when it was cooking.
She used that dang thing at least 4 times a week to make dinner, but that was to feed 3 kids and a husband.
I have a pressure cooker that I thought I would use more than I do, and it does take up some space.
I don’t use the crock pot much either.
I’m more of a cast iron dutch oven person myself.
It was nice of your dad to think of you, tho.
I vote for using it once, telling dad it works great, then donating it to a worthy cause.
I bet a church kitchen would love it.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm wondering if some organization or other would like this for a raffle or Chinese auction?
Our local daily newspaper just had a long article about Superbowl recipes all made with Instant Pots. I suspect I would feel the same as you. My kitchen is small and not well designed. Less is more. Unfortunately, man-friend is well intended, but doesn't notice that I don't have space for six different gadgets to slice and dice, really no better or faster than a knife.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Well, my goodness, tomsteve, have you been living under a rock? Here is the Instant Pot info: https://instantpot.com

To be honest, I'd heard the name but didn't really know what one was or what it was purported to be able to do until I suddenly found myself the unwitting recipient of one...
somewhat. i eat. i dont cook.
so its basically a do it all pressure cooker thing?
send it here- ill see iffen i can find a use for it in the shop.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I bought an Instapot about a month ago and it has been amazing. If you have a slow cooker maybe you can get rid of that to save space as it functions as one too. I can make beans in less than an hour. I learned to make chicken mole. Boiled eggs in minutes. I too have small counter space and I only turn it 180 when venting pressure at the end of a cooking cycle. I mean I really love this thing even though it is big. I also have small cabinet space so I made it a permanent spot in the corner on the counter and store chips or whatnot inside of it when I'm not using it. If I could buy one for everyone in my family I would. Lol. Your dad is amazing and smart. Alternatively such an amazing man would understand if you decided to donate it. 😉 FYI I work full time and am a full time student so don't have a lot of time to invest learning how to use new things. After one use (maybe 15 minutes to read instructions initially) I feel I have a good handle on its uses. Also watched some videos on YouTube. Good luck. Whatever you decide.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
somewhat. send it here- ill see iffen i can find a use for it in the shop.
The mind boggles, tomsteve, imagining what uses you could put such a device to, being the creative fellow that you are...!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My MIL had bought me a tea pot with matching cups. The teapot had a crack in it and I could never use it. I still kept the tea cups. My MIL was upset I never invited her over for a cup of tea. I took the hit since I couldn't tell her her teapot had a crack in it the moment I opened the gift.

My suggestion. Invite your dad over for dinner. Make a pot if soup in it and store it out of the way for yearly dinners or donate it after the dinner.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
The mind boggles, tomsteve, imagining what uses you could put such a device to, being the creative fellow that you are...!
i was wondering if i could fill it with boiled linseed oil(maybe even danish oil) , drop one of the scroll sawn pieces i make into it, add pressure, and see if it would make a different sheen/appearance to the wood.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I hadn't heard of it either.

Curiously, there's this clothes refresher/dewrinkler cabinet thing-a-ma-bob I never heard of before that I was so absolutely drawn to one day and just HAD to buy it for my adult daughter... with complete disregard for the price tag or the fact that my daughter likes to iron. It was simply a BIG inner urge/gut feeling that I've learned to listen to.

After ordering, I realized it didn't make much sense sending it to my daughter as I started telling her what it was... and then I took it as a fun part of life... that either it was something new and different she'd enjoy or it was meant for someone else in her area of the world. I never asked what happened to it.

It was a gift. I greatly enjoyed buying it. What happened to it is none of my business.

Pray. See what comes to mind.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

A little O/T, but my husband and I call the Instant Pot "My New Boyfriend" because I love it so much. However, the interface isn't exactly intuitive, and there is many a time when my husband asks for my assistance because he can't figure out this or that.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i was wondering if i could fill it with boiled linseed oil(maybe even danish oil) , drop one of the scroll sawn pieces i make into it, add pressure, and see if it would make a different sheen/appearance to the wood.
I would think so? Seems like it would 'infuse' it a bit deeper into the wood? Or it could completely wreck your project and the cooker.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

My mil gave us her good china, which is beautiful, and her silver set, also beautiful.
I shall be forever grateful for her generosity.

I would not put linseed oil in an instant pot, Tomsteve.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

My father did not know the dangers of linseed oil and left some rags on the garage floor while he was finishing a table.

The table was a housewarming gift, and the huge char mark on its underside was a guaranteed icebreaker whenever we had guests in our home.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

My mil gave us her good china, which is beautiful, and her silver set, also beautiful

i have my grandma's china......i let my own very small set and my mother's expansive set for 12 go...but kept grandma's china......when my daughter was over for Christmas, we used the good china. 5 generations have shared a holiday meal on those plates.

for everyday, we have melmac plates.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

It's so popular here that I saw someone locally giving cooking classes with it for $25 a session!

Originally Posted by PuzzledHeart View Post
A little O/T, but my husband and I call the Instant Pot "My New Boyfriend" because I love it so much. However, the interface isn't exactly intuitive, and there is many a time when my husband asks for my assistance because he can't figure out this or that.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
It's so popular here that I saw someone locally giving cooking classes with it for $25 a session!
There ya go, HP - some side income teaching classes!! Problem solved!
Old 02-02-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Donate it to a police station or fire station - someplace where they have to be on call 24/7 and can always appreciate a hot meal when they get back from saving the world
Old 02-02-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

So many good solutions to my problem here, as well as ideas about how to make some pocket money...but you know, COD, I'd probably have to learn to cook with it before giving classes. Then again, lack of experience or knowledge has not stopped many people from setting themselves up as pros, so what the heck, hey?

I think I am going to take the bull by the horns and call my dad today so I won't have this hanging over my head, although I am so much less stressed about it since getting all this input and insight.

I'll let you know how it went. Thanks, all!