Questioning AA 12 steps

Old 02-01-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by donewithhurting View Post
So far no booze, no outbursts. Thats very very good. I'm concerned about the dependance on "the program".
If "the program" is keeping a knife out of your back, shouldn't you be promoting "the program"? You can't because it's out of your control.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
lets get the forst tradition down right first:
Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon AA unity.
now, and understanding:
each member is a small part of a whole,a whole that any member is free to leave at any time. a whole that says you are free to believe what you want, do what you want, go where you want,say what you want.- we only have suggestions( with that word-suggest- is used quite a bit on the big book).
everything after
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 129
is one persons opinion
did you notice how the word "me" was used in that?

next
Direct copy paste - "OUR COMMON WELFARE COMES FIRST"
Old 02-01-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Agreed but my wife as many in these particular rooms are VERY vulnerable to those who "seem" to have gotten through it and are offering to help. In no way are AA rooms like bowling leagues.
ive been on a bolwing league. theres some sick SOBs on bowling leagues.
then theres some pretty awesome people on bowling leagues,too
Old 02-01-2018, 11:52 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Direct copy paste - "OUR COMMON WELFARE COMES FIRST"
I fail to see what is evil or wrong or suspicious here--please explain it to me.

A self-help group declaring that the group's welfare comes first just doesn't seem like a bad thing to me, but clearly it does to you, dwh. Is Weight Watchers evil, too?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:53 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It is the social c o nnection...the face to face connection with other humans that is one of the most powerful forces in AA (or any support group),,,in my opinion. A group of supportive, compassionate. non-judgemental others is one of the most healing things we can encounter....
It is what humans need...other humans.... in their hour of pain or need. We are essentially social creatures, to begin with...
There is no other force that is so healing, in my opinion....even when a healing medication is given....it still goes better if administered with a loving hand on the shoulder....
You alluded that you are "in the field"....then, if you do a review of dynamics of group behavior...you will see what I mean.....

Nobody is forcing you to like/approve of AA. You (apparently) are not the alcoholic.
Your wife has free will. It is her gift from the Universe. She is entitled to use it as she sees fit.
You are entitled to your opinions and to make your own decisions and to do as you see fit. We all get to make our own choices and to deal with the consequences of those actions...be they good or bad.....That is the way it works for all of us.....

I see a lot of the Parent-Child dynamic in your marriage, as you have described it to us. That always blows up...sooner or later....especially if the Child part starts to assert some independence...
Old 02-01-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

You know, one of the more memorable things XAH said to me was "well, and what if I DO get better and decide that I don't like it here w/you any more?" Seems to me, dwh, that this is EXACTLY what YOU fear...

By the way, dwh, XAH did NOT get better. Not at all. And hence he is XAH. He pretended to go to AA meetings for 4 years. Then he started actually going. And even w/AA's cult-like powers of mind control, he still kept drinking. And lying. And after another couple years of attending meetings while STILL drinking and STILL lying, he stopped going.

So I would submit that AA doesn't have some kind of brain lock on these folks...sure seemed like XAH had plenty of self-will!
Old 02-01-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
And you read this.... in the Orange Papers I'm guessing? Not a reputable source, as discussed up-thread.
There is a lot about this in the media today. I think there is even some discussion about it here in the 12 step forums. There was a memo posted here in one of the forums where AA was saying even though they knew of predator conditions for years - NOW that it was being picked up and discussed they had to begin to take some action on it otherwise it might affect the membership. Vulnerable women and abused women are often given the suggestion to attend women only meetings or to seek different resources. Lets not minimize the danger here as the programs do not screen those who attend. Its basically up to individual groups to be watchful for predator behavior and to take what action they can.

One person being abused is too many. One person going for help and ending up raped or falling under the spell of a manipulative character who is there not for recovery but for devious purposes is not ok. many people who attend have multiple issues other than drinking or drugs and they are vulnerable to this.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

What three things would you like to get most out of THIS day?

Sometimes, the answers to the big problems in life aren't by dissecting them. The big things are more easily solved by first learning how to ENJOY life.

One day at a time, we get to do that, if we want to.

As we learn this, we gain Inner strength to deal with tragedy, toxic people and abuse.

So instead of looking for problems to create... why not focus a bit on dinner plans? Italian? Mexican? Asian? Maybe a huge green salad with Amy's Roasted Red Pepper dressing?

What sounds good for dessert? Use of imagination is highly ENCOURAGED.

The brain heals and regenerates quicker with use of imagination instead of being immersed in fear.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Agreed but my wife as many in these particular rooms are VERY vulnerable to those who "seem" to have gotten through it and are offering to help. In no way are AA rooms like bowling leagues.
Have you been to AA? I'm sure you know you can attend open meetings. Now, doesn't have to be your wife's meeting (unless she is 100 percent on board with that).
Old 02-01-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Have you been to AA? I'm sure you know you can attend open meetings. Now, doesn't have to be your wife's meeting (unless she is 100 percent on board with that).
Yes I have attended several AA and Many Al-Anon meetings
Old 02-01-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aliciagr View Post
One person being abused is too many.
Of course it is, no one is saying anything to the contrary.

MANY organizations have been infiltrated with creeps - hello, Catholic Church anyone? American gymnastics? Penn State? (yes, even boys/men are vulnerable!) Countless US politicians & leaders?????

AA is not MORE vulnerable than other organizations is the point I'm making.

Let's not forget people - SHE'S not having any issues in these meetings, he's FUTURE TRIPPING about things that there is no basis to believe WILL occur.

For that matter, if SHE were uneasy & dedicated to recovery, she'd seek out a woman's only meeting (if available), online support, or independent counseling, right? She has a voice in this - it is HER recovery after all.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
It is the social c o nnection...the face to face connection with other humans that is one of the most powerful forces in AA (or any support group),,,in my opinion. A group of supportive, compassionate. non-judgemental others is one of the most healing things we can encounter....
It is what humans need...other humans.... in their hour of pain or need. We are essentially social creatures, to begin with...
There is no other force that is so healing, in my opinion....even when a healing medication is given....it still goes better if administered with a loving hand on the shoulder....
You alluded that you are "in the field"....then, if you do a review of dynamics of group behavior...you will see what I mean.....

Nobody is forcing you to like/approve of AA. You (apparently) are not the alcoholic.
Your wife has free will. It is her gift from the Universe. She is entitled to use it as she sees fit.
You are entitled to your opinions and to make your own decisions and to do as you see fit. We all get to make our own choices and to deal with the consequences of those actions...be they good or bad.....That is the way it works for all of us.....

I see a lot of the Parent-Child dynamic in your marriage, as you have described it to us. That always blows up...sooner or later....especially if the Child part starts to assert some independence...
Yes, sometimes she is the child and sometimes I. Most times equal partners through life and this is a changing experience for us both. I've come here posting my questions and concerns because after much research online in boards like these I found this one to be the best of the crop for this kind of thing. I'm not gonna sugar coat it. I have my concerns but not too worried. I am all for her sobriety, just disappointed she couldn't find her support in me as she and I have done for decades. I think you understand what I am expressing. I realize that many find help at AA as they do in IC and MC and other programs. I/we've been through several before. AA seems just so cultish. Suppose it has to be for many cases of alcoholism as the same for any addiction. In our case she was not what I call a "drunk". She drank occasionally and after family crisis got out of hand. The biggest issue has been the occasional raging stemming from other FOO issues. I don't think AA can deal with those and may just be masking a more important matter.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:23 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango blast View Post
What three things would you like to get most out of THIS day?

Sometimes, the answers to the big problems in life aren't by dissecting them. The big things are more easily solved by first learning how to ENJOY life.

One day at a time, we get to do that, if we want to.

As we learn this, we gain Inner strength to deal with tragedy, toxic people and abuse.

So instead of looking for problems to create... why not focus a bit on dinner plans? Italian? Mexican? Asian? Maybe a huge green salad with Amy's Roasted Red Pepper dressing?

What sounds good for dessert? Use of imagination is highly ENCOURAGED.

The brain heals and regenerates quicker with use of imagination instead of being immersed in fear.
It seems to be quite the party in here. Anyone up for bring appetizers or chips?
Old 02-01-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Ahh... those fears I understand. I have great experience with them.

Okay, so... do you have a sponsor yet?
Old 02-01-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango blast View Post
Ahh... those fears I understand. I have great experience with them.

Okay, so... do you have a sponsor yet?
No I don't and don't plan on getting one. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:30 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
youve given one example. and even then its just your opinion.

PLEASE!! for you!! STOP!!! a whole lot of us here are seriously hurting to read the hatred, fear, insecurities and all about AA and AA is NOT your problem.
YOU are your problem.

now lets get onto solutions- FOR YOU.
you have fears and insecurities about your wife hooking up with someone in AA.could that be trust issues you have with your wife? could it be that you might actually know deep down inside yourself youve had some control issues going on? maybe deep down in you know are feeling the possible consequences of that?
Absolutely. And there is past history... as we all have. If we don't learn from our past we are doomed to repeat it eh?
Old 02-01-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I actually agree that AA alone may not be able to handle raging from FOO issues. I hope she continues to go for herself, and possibly supplements with therapy from a therapist who also understands addiction, as many do not.

Good luck to you both!
Old 02-01-2018, 12:34 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Somehow I don't think an organization that asks for $1 per meeting, where no one tells their last names or any personal information and says "the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking" is a cult.

If you go Googling anti-AA stuff you'll find it. You're determined AA is an evil cult and I doubt anyone here can talk you out of it. And that's fine. I don't understand why you continue to engage.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Absolutely. And there is past history... as we all have. If we don't learn from our past we are doomed to repeat it eh?
Then wouldn't the prudent play be to work on getting YOU healthier and in recovery, instead of what she possibly, by chance, maybe do?

The people in her group might be: less insecure, less controlling, and less hateful of the unknown. Makes sense she might be appealed by that. Just sayin'.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

excellent.
now onto solutions,eh? solutions for YOU.