Questioning AA 12 steps

Old 02-01-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hangnbyathread View Post

She ended up with another man she met in AA. Made it a HUGELY easier to end it. She wanted to be with him, so less energy expended on arguing with me about the why it was over part. I owe him a debt of gratitude.
Thus the fear and insecurity. BUt if that is her destiny so be it. The trust is there for the moment as I have attended a few meetings and have met some of the people who seem to be ok. But there are "players" out there who will make their way into those vulnerable and well meaning hearts.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes. I have read the Orange Papers.....I felt that it was almost like reading a hate group manifesto....

AA is for those who want to stay sober. and, it is nobody else's business.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post

Ask yourself what YOUR motive is in wanting your wife to stop AA. I detect fear. We call self-centered fear: fear of loosing what you have or not getting what you demand.
Fear of being knifed in the middle of the night by a raging alcoholic!
The booze at times brings out a monster.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=dandylion;6769682]Yes. I have read the Orange Papers.....I felt that it was almost like reading a hate group manifesto....

AA is for those who want to stay sober. and, it is nobody else's business.[/QUOTE]

Nonsense. It's the business of the drunk's family that has to deal with the insanity of alcoholism.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by donewithhurting View Post
I just don't like the cult-like messages given in the daily reflections, Big Book and by some of the members.
you dont have to. however, i will ask again:
can you show us what you mean by cult like messages in all 3? give us examples?
maybe we can help with a new set of glasses as to whats being said.
this is quite understandable,too.
i didnt understand what the BB and DR were saying either. i had to have someone explain it in plain english.
but i never read or felt either had cult like messages.
and ive read both a few times
Old 02-01-2018, 11:32 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Thus the fear and insecurity.
This is YOURS to deal with & it has nothing to do with her recovery program.

But there are "players" out there who will make their way into those vulnerable and well meaning hearts.
There are "players" everywhere - trust me, as a woman I'm well aware of this fact. I would not feel any more vulnerable in an AA meeting than I would just about anywhere else I go.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:34 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Fear of being knifed in the middle of the night by a raging alcoholic!
The booze at times brings out a monster.
Then if she is fully engaged in the program (as she hopefully is/should be) then there won't be anymore booze, and no more raging alcoholics! So, you're in essence contradicting yourself.

You 'seem' to want her sober, but on your terms. Doesn't work that way.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:35 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
you dont have to. however, i will ask again:
can you show us what you mean by cult like messages in all 3? give us examples?
OUR COMMON WELFARE COMES FIRST
The unity of Alcoholics Anonymous is the most cherished quality our Society has. . . . We stay whole, or A.A. dies.
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 129
Our Traditions are key elements in the ego deflation process necessary to achieve and maintain sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous. Placing our common welfare first reminds me not to become a healer in this program; I am still one of the patients. Self-effacing elders built the ward. Without it, I doubt I would be alive. Without the group, few alcoholics would recover.
The active role in renewed surrender of will enables me to step aside from the need to dominate, the desire for recognition, both of which played so great a part in my active alcoholism. Deferring my personal desires for the greater good of group growth contributes toward A.A. unity that is central to all recovery. It helps me to remember that the whole is greater than the sum of all its parts.

WHAT WE NEED-EACH OTHER

UNITED WE STAND
The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.
— ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 30
Old 02-01-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Nonsense. It's the business of the drunk's family that has to deal with the insanity of alcoholism.

Nope. That's what Al anon is for...us and friends and others who are affected. We deal with our stuff. They deal with theirs.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Seems like an excellent passage to go through one on one with your sponsor.

Many in Alanon use the Big Book as their recovery guide. It's not just an AA thing.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

The need each other because they are truly the only ones that understand each other! Unless you've had breast cancer, can you really, truly know what a patient is going thru and feeling? NO, you can't.

They also need the group because they help each other, guide each other, and support each other. Alcoholics are damn SELFISH, and this part helps them to realize that they are NOT the center of the world - as was the case when they are/were drinking.

Have somewhat of an open mind, for Pete's sake. You sound about as narcissistic as the alcoholic themself.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
There are "players" everywhere - trust me, as a woman I'm well aware of this fact. I would not feel any more vulnerable in an AA meeting than I would just about anywhere else I go.
From what I have read and heard there are real sickos in some of the rooms that are there to specifically target the new and vulnerable and they do it slowly and over time often without the victim knowing it's happening.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

lets get the forst tradition down right first:
Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon AA unity.
now, and understanding:
each member is a small part of a whole,a whole that any member is free to leave at any time. a whole that says you are free to believe what you want, do what you want, go where you want,say what you want.- we only have suggestions( with that word-suggest- is used quite a bit on the big book).
everything after
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 129
is one persons opinion
did you notice how the word "me" was used in that?

next
Old 02-01-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

From what I have read and heard there are real sickos in some of the rooms that are there to specifically target the new and vulnerable and they do it slowly and over time often without the victim knowing it's happening.
The same can be said of bowling leagues, softball leagues, and at the office.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
Then if she is fully engaged in the program (as she hopefully is/should be) then there won't be anymore booze, and no more raging alcoholics! So, you're in essence contradicting yourself.

You 'seem' to want her sober, but on your terms. Doesn't work that way.
So far no booze, no outbursts. Thats very very good. I'm concerned about the dependance on "the program".
Old 02-01-2018, 11:47 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
The same can be said of bowling leagues, softball leagues, and at the office.
Agreed but my wife as many in these particular rooms are VERY vulnerable to those who "seem" to have gotten through it and are offering to help. In no way are AA rooms like bowling leagues.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

And you read this.... in the Orange Papers I'm guessing? Not a reputable source, as discussed up-thread.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

There are cases of doctors, therapists, counselors and teachers,
not to mention people in every other walk of life, taking advantage of their patients/clients/other vulnerable people. Would you deny her or yourself medical care or education b/c some of those people might be "real sickos"?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

So far no booze, no outbursts. Thats very very good. I'm concerned about the dependance on "the program".
wheres the problem with that? its an awesome program which people have actually been following for thousands of years for a happy,healthy life.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

If she were diabetic, would you also be concerned about a dependence on insulin?

You seem to be looking for excuses and reasons to hate on something that is helping her recover from a chronic, progressive disease.