Interlock system is a constant reminder

Old 01-31-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope4chng View Post
I know you're all right. It's hard to let go of this fantasy I have that this all can be resolved early on in their life without them ever really having to have suffered the consequences. But they already have and the sooner I acknowledge that, the better. I have twins who just turned 7 and a 3 yr old. They are starting to see the school counselor weekly to help talk through their feelings. I am looking into family counseling as well, maybe we can all talk about it together. I just cringe at the thought of them telling their friends that their daddy has to blow into a thing to drive his car. It's so embarrassing. But you're right, hiding the facts of the situation will just leave them confused and frustrated. Thank you for the advice. I need to leave my pitty party of one and start having difficult conversations with them.
With the 3 year old, it is easier to just say that Daddy got a "Time Out". It is like Sesame Street explaining the situation.

My son is 7 years old. I remember him mentioning something about drinking. I shut down and told him not to talk about it. And then I thought ya know I need to find out where he is getting this information. I asked him the next day, and it was actually from some other kids at the Boys and Girls Club. I talked to him about it in general terms about alcohol addiction that was age appropriate.

My son also said something about Homer Simpson being a drunk. My husband replied that being drunk was being stupid. Recently, my son mentioned that there was some stupid drunk character on the Simpsons.

My kids were very young when my husband got his 2nd DUI, so they do not know the truth about his past. He blows in his interlock and it is just part of life. It is not really something that they discuss with their friends.

It is kinda a general terms that this can be anyone in their life that can have an issue with alcoholism but you are upgrading the talk from Sesame Street to more Nickelodeon/Disney Junior.