Book Thread- what are you reading?

Old 03-12-2018, 09:51 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
It's been TOO long since we've had a book thread.

Personally, I bounce around between recovery-related reading & lighter fiction.

So what's on your bookshelf? What are you listening to an audio CD?

Fiction
Submerged by Dani Pettry
Old 03-12-2018, 10:08 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

When I first found out my former boyfriend was an alcoholic and going to AA, I became totally preoccupied with reading books about addiction and recovery, as well as codependency.

Some of the books that I found helpful are:

Girlfriend of Bill: 12 Things You Need to Know About Dating Someone in Recovery by Karen Nagy

The Recovery Book by Al J. Mooney which divides recovery into three stages/zones Red, Yellow and Green and is organized in a question/answer format.

Two books by Christopher Kennedy Lawford: What Addicts Know, and When Your Partner Has An Addiction

Unbroken Brain: A Revolutionary Way of Understanding Addiction, by Maia Szalavitz.

I also got a kick out of the title of a book of short daily meditations for codependents and Al Anons:

"If You Leave Me, Can I come With You" since the title described my codependent reaction precisely, but with humor!

And of course, I refer to Melody Beattie's "The Language of Letting Go" regularly.

Facing Codependence, by Pia Melody is good, but I can only read a bit at a time.

I also started reading the novel "In the Rooms" by Tom Shone...enjoyed it for a while then stalled out.

I have also been binge watching movies and series about alcoholism and addiction:

Movies: (I enjoyed and would recommend all of the following)

When A Man Loves a Woman, with Meg Ryan and Andy Garcia
Clean and Sober, with Michael Keaton
Thanks for Sharing, with Mark Ruffalo and Gwyneth Paltrow
Drunks (an indie film where alcoholics in various stages of recovery tell their stories at an AA meeting in the basement of a New York church)

TV series:

All 5 seasons of MOM (with Anna Faris and Allison Janney) - Very funny!
2 seasons of Flaked, with Will Arnett (the message loud and clear is that even recovering alcoholics wrestle with lying/telling the truth)

I am semi-retired so I have a lot of free time!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Anvil....I read some stuff about voice-over, a while back. From what I (sort of) remember...I was surprised to find out that it was becoming a very competitive field....sort of like trying to break in to the music field, for instance. Needing to send tapes around...make contacts...get auditions...etc.
I am curious...is that correct?
Seems to me that it would be a good gig if one could get it. One would have to be sufficiently motivated, of course.....
LOL...I decided that I wasn't.....
Old 03-13-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoManyQuestions View Post
TV series:

All 5 seasons of MOM (with Anna Faris and Allison Janney) - Very funny!
2 seasons of Flaked, with Will Arnett (the message loud and clear is that even recovering alcoholics wrestle with lying/telling the truth)

I am semi-retired so I have a lot of free time!
You might really enjoy:

Shameless (originally Showtime but I think you can catch the first 6-7 seasons on Netflix)
Love (Netflix)
Nurse Jackie (also Showtime/Netflix I think, lol)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

"If You Leave Me, Can I come With You" since the title described my codependent reaction precisely, but with humor!
Hay, yes! THe title alone makes me want to order it!!
Old 03-13-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Currently "The Brain/Gut Connection".

Rotate between murder mysteries and fitness/nutrition.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I just finished Elephant Company. I would recommend it.

Strangely in the past year and a half I have mostly stopped reading. Really weird.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:56 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Update: I am reading Lovecraft Country per Sparkl’s recommendation.
And I love Joe Hill!
He does write a lot like his dad, but much fresher and contemporary, I think.
still a stephen King fan, but I think his writing has gotten a bit tired and repetitive.
But, in his younger days, Wow!
Old 04-06-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

OMG. I'm in the middle of a master's program and not having time to read for fun has been killing me. I don't know what I was thinking: working full-time, single-parenting it, and going to school full-time.... There was a break between sessions (a couple weeks ago) and I finally (FIIIIIINALLLLLY) got to read.

I binge read Mira Grant's Newsflesh Trilogy. If anyone is looking for a great zombies / media / government control issues series, Newsflesh will do it. And I got to spend time with Wendell Berry's poetry and Joan Naviyuk Kane's Milk Black Carbon (also poetry). I am completely fan-girling, in love with Kane's work.

Firebolt, A Dirty Job is my absolute favorite Christopher Moore book. I've re-read it a couple times (a lot) and still have to put the book down to get my laughing under control at several points. (Though, I also love the opening of Chapter 1 in Lamb.)
Old 05-23-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Updating...and I love hearing what others have read.

Finished FireSprite's recommendations of Love Warrior (loved parts & other parts made me want to throw the book at the wall), and The Four Agreements (this was AWESOME!)...so thanks FS!

Next up...Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis...looks like a fun read.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:46 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Finnegans Wake............... James Joyce
Old 05-24-2018, 03:48 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I just finished Anne Tyler’s The Clock Winder which I loved reading but I have mixed feelings about the end, and started Alice Walker’s The Temple of My Familiar. I am ahead of my Goodreads book challenge for 2018 by three books, and have just started curating what 7 or 8 books I will bring with me in my vacation, coming up in about five weeks!